Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a psu

Options
  • 05-01-2003 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right today theres a clicking noise comming outa one of my old trusty psu's so thats it for that one i think even tho it work ( probably only needs some cleaning ) so im going to buy a new one

im think about a 350-600w one dose anyone know where i can get one cheep ? (hehe like sheep ) cheep bing under 100 euros total and if its fairly silent its a bonus if not im sure ill live with it ... like nothing in my room is noizer then my cpu fan as it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have a nice 400W psu but it is a bit niosy. I cant rember the make. It was cheap enough all the same.

But one thing to bear in mind before you buy one is that sometimes the psu doesent give the power out that it claims to be. I read that on www.tomshardwareguide.com a while back. So take a look there they might be able to help you out.

I hear codgen are rubbish and to be avoided, though a mate of mine has one and has no trouble with his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/123/

I have one for a few weeks and its quiet, plenty power and cheap. Komplett do them afaik

<edit>
    btw the 450 watt version of that apearently is a bit crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

tbh elexes, that clicking noise is probably just your fan hitting off something. If you open it up you should be able to see what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What type of rig do you have that you think you might need a 600wat psu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

future proof

ye i cleaned it out and decided that it should be replaced anyways and put to rest in younder shed . shes given me so many years of loyal service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Maplin have a sale on @ the moment and they have a 450 watt psu ( dual fan) for only 50 yoyo's and they give the noise level as 32 db.dunno wot make tho,might get 1 myself.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

sounds good, any idea of what make or model?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Firingsquad did an interesting piece on PSUs a few weeks back...

Update on the psu in maplin.I found out it's made by Q-Tech ( never heard of em ) and is a (Dual fan) atx form 450 watt,with temprature controlled fan, Suitable for AMD and P4 systems,noise level less than 32 dB(A).emm it weighs 1.5 kg and is gold colour and the fans are a kinda transparent purple.was E105.89 now E49.99 .offer valid until 25 jan 03.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

sale.. :rolleyes: they've been in peats for months at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Update on the psu in maplin.I found out it's made by Q-Tech ( never heard of em ) and is a (Dual

COMBATCOW

Is it a good quality psu and is it maplin in blanchardstown?

Dunno if its ne good and yeah they had 2 left on the shelf on monday @ blanchardstown.

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Combatcow
    Update on the psu in maplin.I found out it's made by Q-Tech ( never heard of em ) and is a (Dual fan) atx form 450 watt,with temprature controlled fan, Suitable for AMD and P4 systems,noise level less than 32 dB(A).emm it weighs 1.5 kg and is gold colour and the fans are a kinda transparent purple.was E105.89 now E49.99 .offer valid until 25 jan 03.

I ordered one from Komplett Mon at midnight, it arrived today at 1.30pm.

The grand total inc shipping came to 49.04 Euro. Handy when you live no where near Maplins

Advertisement