Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV - Video - DVD

Options
  • 05-01-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering, I hav a basic TV that only has a S-video connection at the back (circular).

Now my DVD is SCART based, while the video I have is S-video.

Just wondering is there such a splitter that will accept SCART and S-Video, leading into S-Video.

If anyone knows what I am talking about and where I might buy one in Dublin, please drop a note after the message :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I think Maplin would be your best bet for something like that.
    Try their site first:
    www.maplin.co.uk

Peats would be another possibility.

Just found what you need:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030105141058701&moduleno=30782&modulecode=

This box converts the RGB SCART output from Sky digital/OnDigital boxes and DVD players into S-video plus audio.

Price is £60.00 sterling, so expect to pay about €100.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Sure you don't mean a coaxial (RF?) connection, its rare to have a tv with just an s-video input, as then you're not going to get any sound.. plus s-video is a 4-pin design :)

Try searching for a coaxial/rf - av/scart converter... I'd be pretty sure that peats or maplins or the likes would have them... be aware that it will result in pretty ****ty image quality from the dvd though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How about looping the DVD player through the VCR? I assume the VCR has a Scart connection? Then just put the VCR on the AV channel to watch DVDs

Worth a try. Not sure but some VCR's may cause probs because of Macrovision on DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Lektropacks.co.uk have what you're looking for. It will be pricey, although this is probably the cheapest method for doing it: (I'm giving the product codes, which you can search for using the box on the left on the site, as I can't create links for some reason)

I think you will need:

1 x SCART cable (code HCSL14)
    1 x SCART Splitter (code scamp2)
    2 x SCART -S-video cables (code HCSCS2P)

None of these components are difficult to find in Ireland, so once you've taken a look at the pictures, you should be able to walk into Peats of Maplins and find them on the shelves.

The connections:

SCART cable from DVD -> SCART splitter input

1 SCART-> S-video cable from each output on the SCART splitter. This gives you two usable s-video cables - one for the VCR, one for the TV. Remember that unless MAcrovision has been disabledon your DVD player, there will the very few DVDs that you will be able to record to tape.

Hope that helps, and sorry if I'm way off with this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

nuts made a mistake, my TV just has a standard tv outpt connection, i.e. a circluar connection with a smaller circular connection within that (I hope I am making sense here)

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    nuts made a mistake, my TV just has a standard tv outpt connection, i.e. a circluar connection with a smaller circular connection within that (I hope I am making sense here)

Yeah, that's actually an RF input, not S-video.
    Try it through your VCR like irishbyte suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

already done that, however most DVDs are crystal clear and some are not - picture quality is lessened and erratic, as if there is an anti pirate mechanisim on the DVD itself. I am not looking to record DVDs, so thats why I was asking about the splitter, any ideas on what I should do?

picture quality is lessened and erratic, as if there is an anti pirate mechanisim on the DVD itself. I am not looking to record DVDs, so thats why I was asking about the splitter, any ideas on what I should do?

thats Macrovision... creates tears on the video image so its pretty much unwatchable, either find a way to disable it on the DVD player (remote hack etc.) or just go read my earlier post.

You need an RF->Scart convertor, they usually don't enable macrovision, so the picture won't distort... problem solved :)

I think Macrovision may still be an issue, I can remember having problems copying tapes using the RF socket on my VCRs (I used to have an old second VCR which did not have a scart socket).

Therefore, maybe the best solution would be to put a video signal conditioner (which negates the effects of Macrovision) in between the DVD player and the VCR (via scart to phono leads) and then using the RF output on the VCR into the TV.

Video signal conditioner here:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search/results.asp?CartID=030106003700881&ordercode=QN09K

• Advertisement

nope. macrovision effects will only appear when routed through a device that enables it (i.e. a vcr)... theres no problem getting a simple rf convertor and connect your dvd directly to the tv...

then again if you do want to record (and i dont know where the recording thing even came from in this thread), you will need something similar to what you describe, or a hacked dvd/video player.

Advertisement