Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCD problem

• 05-01-2003 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Iv been trying to put band of brothers onto VCD using .MPgs and Nero 5, and the 5 Cd's iv tried havent worked, following instructions from http://www.vcdhelp.com/nero/
    Im using Philips CD-r80 40x cd's on an LG 16x cdrw.
    The DVD player supports VCD, product code BD30DVD..
    any ideas.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I cannot offer any help, but I can empathise.

I have had the same problem burning AVIs to VCD using Nero.
    My DVD player is VCD compatible (although I have never tried an original VCD in it) but will not play any VCD disk I make, I can play them in my PC though.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

to answer nearly both questions...

Plays vcds but not cdrs.. Basically its having trouble reading the disc.. Same with a m8 of mine.. His dvd player would read some vcds the stop.. Use the same discs with different film... still wont read it.. Basically if it aint an original vcd it wont work.

But there are exceptions to all what ive said above...
    Try different media on the players and other peoples players...
    if it works also on a pc try media player 300mhz or higher usually works..
    Vcd players... vcd powerplayer. winmedia player, windvd, xing mpeg player, nearly all these can downloaded for a trial period...

Also to conz... try make sure those are mpgs first..
    Second try playin a burned cd in the pc.. if it works there its the dvd player... Try different media on the player if that dont worked.. Forget about it..

Appy :) my 46 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

what settings should i definately have on?
    the mpeg was an NTSC , and i put the format to ntsc on nero.
    i cant figure it out.
    what are the settings i should have anyways, im using the original settings that came with nero apart from the ntsc

AVIs to VCD using Nero.
    Theres ure problem right there... try using tmpeg encoder to encode avi to mpeg which is vcd..

Avi = divx
    Mpeg = vcd....

As above there are exceptions to every rule .... LOL there always is..

Mpeg 2 is vcd Mpeg 3 is svcd and Mpeg 4 is dvd... i think...

Also conz prob...

Dont mind that ntsc just yet.. When i used to encode i thought pal
    was 24 fps and ntsc is 29...

Just go to vcd and burn it.. try on pc... then go back to those ntsc settings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    Mpeg 2 is vcd Mpeg 3 is svcd and Mpeg 4 is dvd... i think...

VCDs are MPEG1, DVD and SVCD are both MPEG2, MPEG3 was intended for HDTV but the project was abandoned, MPEG4 was intended for high-quality Net streaming video (like MS did with the half-mpeg4 ASF format) and is the format used for DivX;). MPEG7 is still under development

(there's no 5 or 6. When 3 was dumped, the MPEG group thought it would be nice to number the formats 1, 2, 4, 8, ... but decided on 7 instead because it was lucky:rolleyes: )

• Advertisement

Kewl some nice info there sepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Supposedly (haven't seen the problem myself) the problem with using Nero to master VCDs from scratch is that it creates VCDs that aren't compatible with a long list of players (with EZCD it has a habit of refusing to accept a lot of mpeg files)

Try VCD Imager. It's free on a GNU licence and there are frontends available from the webpage as well. It just masters the image file - you can then use Nero to burn the file created. Worth a try at any rate. There's also a list provided of standalone DVD players that are known to work with VCDimager VCDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Basically, don't use nero to encode VCD's. It's terrible. However, having previously encoded the mpeg yourself separately, nero is fine for burning them.

http://vcdhelp.com/print.php?page=divxtovcd.htm

That link walks you through making VCD's. The right programs to use and how to do it. It's not too difficult. I do it a lot myself and I've never had any problems!! (except when using nero to encode the mpeg, when it does work, the quality is poor). If you still have problems send me a PM and I'll go through it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you might want to try using cdrw - some players have better compatability with them

these are mpeg's im burning from appy, i was in the middle of typing my second post when u posted yours, and didnt see it.

i havent been using nero to encode the avi's, just to burn the mpegs (original mpegs).

i also have the tmpgenc decoder for avi's, will rip one tonight, see if theres any change..

btw appy, whats that ur saying about the 300mhz?

im downloading vcd imager, looking at the vcdhelp walkthrough, and searching for the vcd player atm :)

thanks anyways lads.

• Advertisement

300 mhz pc or higher to play a vcd on the pc m8..

ahh jesus, im away with it then sure ;)

Hey leave jebus out of this.. : )

ahh yore ma, im away with it then sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

you don't need 300mhz to play vcd - software vcd players work from p1 100mhz days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Don't give up on Nero yet. I had the same problem burning VCDs, but for some reason if I create an image of the VCD first, then burn the CD from the image it works fine. Now all I need is something actually worth burning......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'd say it's your standalone DVD Player. I have 2 DVD players, my Hitachi (model escapes me) plays original VCD's but it will not play a VCD that I have created myself. I've tried many different media's but it refuses to play. My Sony DVD Player (DAV-S500) on the other hand, plays VCD's that I burnt no problem. I use Nero to burn them. I have made VCD's in the past from AVI's leaving Nero to encode it and it's fine (although quality is a bit cack). I normally use tmpeg to encode using huffy codec if making VCD's.

Advertisement