Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television dead?

Options
  • 05-01-2003 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Think this is the right forum...

Right, last week the big TV in the living room started acting weird. Every now and then the screen would go in at the sides like: )_(

We'd have to turn it off for a few mins then turn it back on and it would go back to normal. There was a weird smell off it too :)

I heard from "a guy in the pub" (oh yes...) that it was something to do with gasses leaking from somewhere inside and that eventually the screen would go blank with a green line through it.

Rightly enough the other day the screen went blank, with a white line through it.

The guy said that the TV is knackered after that, no point even trying to get it fixed. Is he right? Time to dump it?

Ta...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

NO he is not right! The "pincushion" effect can happen alright as does the bright white line. IIRC, it's some capacitors at fault (maybe also the cause of the smell).

It's very unlikely that it's knackered. It's happened to my old Salora TV twice, and it's still going strong!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cheers lads, I'll have a chat to the bloke in the local TV repair shop I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Sounds like a transistor tbh - shouldn't cost too much to fix. It's been a while since I looked at any tv kit - but I know I've seen that before.

Bio

Advertisement