Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths solutions

• 05-01-2003 4:12pm

Im looking for a set of AM solutions that can show me how the answer was obtained. Do they exist? I just gave it a quick google and nothing came up. Im pretty desperate at this point :(

help meh plz! :(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Wow thats impressive.could you post up 2001 q. 1, 2, 3, 5, 10. :)

tnx.

Where can i get the marking schemes?

• Advertisement

Tnx alot dave.

If youre not using the solutions nemore could I take them off your hands? :)

It would be a bit long winded if I tried to ask you all the questions I want to ask:)

Could you maybe photocopy them and I'd pay you back for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tallow Lad

Any Chance you still got sum o dem solutions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

daveirl wrote:

Actually, it's the state exams commission website that you need: www.examinations.ie
    Click on "Examination Material Archive" and you can get the marking schemes, which include the solutions. They go back as far as 2001.

Also, Oliver Murphy, a teacher in Belvedere College and the Institute of Education, has a booklet containing papers and answers (not full solutions) of over 20 years. He sells it for €10, which he gives to charity. Details here:
    http://www.discoveringmaths.com/students/appliedmaths/

Good luck with the subject; it's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spiderblade

would u by any chance have the 1994 solutions now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Does anyone have any PASS App. Maths solutions from 99 backwards? Much obliged if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bonez025

Does anyone have the 95 paper? Its not on examinations.ie .
    Please, I've done that far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

I have the solutions(not for Q 6 or 8 though) but I woouldnt be able to get them up until the probably the saturday before the exams here are the answers though from oliver murphys book.

1. a i 5u b i √(6g) ii √(6g) /3g iii 5/3,8/3,3 metres
    2 a i 64-6t, 62-8t ii 4, 13.6 b i p=0.6 ; q=0.45 ii 357.14 seconds
    3 a i 14.7 m and 9 m ii 7.056m iii 12.6m/s b i 40.9* (*=> degrees!)
    ii tan L = -Vy/Vx <0 => obtuse
    4 i g/9 ii g/9 iii g/11 iv g/22
    5 a i v1 = u(1-3e) ; v2= U(1+2e) ii e >1/3 => v1<0 and v2>0
    9. a 0.5 litres b i 2/3 ii 0.098 newtons iii 128 cm3
    10. i y= √(8tan-1 x +1)

Q1 i 6g under root ii 6g under root , 3g not under root . ie (root 6g) divided by 3g
    Q 10 all under square root and tan-1 =arc tan

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Hey guys,
    didnt wanna bump an old thread but can anyone do 2005 q4B(i) pleeease? :D

The solutions are in the marking scheme on the SEC website:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2005/LC020ALP1EV.pdf

yeah, i checked them out before posting but didnt get how they got the answer :confused:
    our teacher has all the solutions from over the years up on moodle but this question is missing... I consider myself a pretty good app.maths student, got an a1 in the mock and everything but i just dont get what they're at in that q. :rolleyes:

The first thing that happens is that the 3 kg mass falls freely under gravity for 1.5 metres (because the string is 4 m long and the peg is 2.5 m above the table). The first three lines of the solution deal with that bit, telling you what the speed of the the 3 kg mass is at the instant before the string goes taut.

Then the string goes taut, so some of the momentum of the falling mass gets transferred (via the string) to the stationary mass. The principle of conservation of momentum is used to find the common speed of the two masses at the instant after the string goes taut. That's the final two lines of the solution to (b)(i).

The first thing that happens is that the 3 kg mass falls freely under gravity for 1.5 metres (because the string is 4 m long and the peg is 2.5 m above the table). The first three lines of the solution deals with that bit, telling you what the speed of the the 3 kg mass is at the instant before the string goes taut.

Then the string goes taut, so some of the momentum of the falling mass gets transferred (via the string) to the stationary mass. The principle of conservation of momentum is used to find the common speed of the two masses at the instant after the string goes taut. That's the final two lines of the solution to (b)(i).

thanks a million buddy, i see whats happening now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement