Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can it last

Options
  • 27-06-2000 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how long can First person shooters remain the king of the castle. As everything fades how much longer can fps's keep it going.
    Like in the early 1990's adventure games like Monkey Island (still going strong) and samnmax etc created a cult fallowing but now a good adventure game is hard to find. Well this happen to the fps genre as the market becomes flooded with clones or will the constaint innovation of developers keep it alive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Depends i guess. I cant imagine they'll last forever and eventually ppl will start getting bored.
    Personally i'm getting tired of fps games already. Probably cos my connection sux and the firewall in work stops me from playing online. But the varous clones are terrible compared to the top sellers, quake,half life....

Could be hard to get the current PC gaming community onto other games, soul reaver and final fantasy and alot of other popular games didnt really make an impact on the PC , because basically PC gamers weren't interested in that type of game.

Cant even imagine a beat em up on the PC anymore, it'd just be ... strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

For me anyway, what first drew me to adventure games was the feeling of freedom and the ability to explore more than I had done in a game before.

It was a change from the linear feel that was seen in games previous. A more interactive feel I suppose. Add to this the need to actually use some logic to continue through the game, I was hooked.

"Flashback" was deadly smile.gif

I think like a lot of people Wolf3d was the first fps I played. Addictive, frantic, fast, it had me completely immmeresed.
    And from there well we all know.........

The web of course has more than helped fps, as the satisfaction you get from defeating a computer is tiny to the satisfaction you get from blasting your friend to little pieces again and again.

I think fps will be around for a long time yet. As for new innovations I'm sure there will be plenty more to come.

For fps to be overshadowed a new genre will have to be introduced. Something completely fresh and innovative. Who ever achieves that will be a very wealthy chappie indeed.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I don't think they'll necessarily become boring as a genre. There's just so little innovation. That's the problem. Tell me, have you played games like SS2 or Thief?
    FPS's essentially but very original and very very compelling.

thief 2 was well amazing but its basically the same thing again , with a story.
    They added stealth , as an option, its not neccessary to play it that way and most enemies find themselves guarding something with their back to you for smacking.
    Despite the obvious kicking i'll get , i don't like quake 3 anymore. Touted as one of the best fps games , it now bores the **** out of me. The multiplayer is nothing compared to quake 1 and the maps are toss bar q3tourney4.
    Everythings going towards multiplayer only, i think its a mistake , deathmatch gets boring after a while , no matter what you're playing.

I have a feeling that fps games will basically stay on PC's for a long time , with keyboards and mice coming to console users as standard, the community will grow by a huge number, further increasing the number of players online. When you think about it , its really the only useful online multi game, unless you can be arsed spending 50% of your life building up your dwarf of the n'th dimension in everquest. I dont have the time nor the want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is still adventure games out there, although the last I remember was "Grim Fandango" (lucasarts) which was any good.

The main companies are intrested now is getting as much cash for as long as possible. So games which can create add-ons or pay to play seem to be the in thing.

But you mean more of Genre? I've noticed that too. smile.gif Normally one company creates a mind blowing type game and everyone copies to death.

So I guess we are waiting for the next mindblowing idea.

• Advertisement

What kinda game are you playing now-a-days so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

The half-life AI is over grunts helping you out is becoming a common theme in games now. E.g Halo and Red Faction
    Instead of going we can improve here companys go that looks like it will sell more games.

I remember when I started buying games for my PC all those years ago their was a better feeling to computer games. They were completely differant fromt the crap throwen up by sega etc. Each was good in its own way although none of these games can be compared to the graphical master pieces appearing today. They were unqie.

The FPS has been around along time and pioneered my the likes of wolfenstein and doom. But now the genre is becoming a mass of clones. Sure games like Theif prove a refreshing break but in the end its the same hack and slash as the rest (only you need brains).

Well pretence , i've started playing RTS games now , quite like metal fatigue and was given earth *** yesterday , and that was from someone who hates RTS games, so it could be worth a look.
    I really dont play games on my PC much anymore, i have a ps2, i prefer that. I do play metal slug 1/X/2 on emulation on my PC, i wanna see games like this come out. Old skool gaming. Where its all fun and stuff and it takes ages to get boring, AGES.

The whole genre issue is a bit messy , as its very hard to imagine something all out 'new' to hit the scene , as theres pretty much every possible genre out there. Computer games couldnt do certain things before due to hardware requirements, but since the 90's , pretty much everything has been covered. RPG's, RTS's , FPS's , platformers , beat em ups , puzzle , sports , action..... obviously if i knew what a new genre could be i'd be well rich , but its not obvious i'll give you that.
    All we're seeing these days is variation. Metal gear solid was said to be a new genre of stealth games, but it really wasnt , it was just a variation on a role playing , shooting hybrid.

I miss the old days ,when men were men......
    Games were **** hard , you paid your fiver and you were either paying away your life for a few weeks or you'd never clear them ever. I have never owned a game after the commodore that i havent clocked in under 3 days ( bar RPGS )
    Games like turrican, bubble bobble, contra , yum.

I get bored of , or complete newer games in a very short time , which doesnt exactly extend to the cost. I warez PC games, but **** happens.

Ah yes the C64 smile.gif

Don't forget Creatures1/2. Loved em.
    Do u remember Hungry Horace? <heh heh>

I have to agree with you on the long term appeal of games, tis just not there any more.

Could it be that in the past gameplay was the only driver that sold a game and so this was given the most attention?

Could it be that with all the advancements in hardware gameplay is no longer seen as important, that a game can be sold on Graphics, Cinematic sequences etc??

Are the majority of games becomming the equivalent of mainstream pop music, sell to the common mob?

Or am I talking sh1te? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Originally posted by bugs:
    Everythings going towards multiplayer only, i think its a mistake , deathmatch gets boring after a while , no matter what you're playing.

I'd partially agree with you, with the advent of Quake 1/2 the online multiplayer deathmatch game took off, half life was a great single player game, never really got into it online as the netcode left a lot to be desired. But again, the addictiveness of Quake 1/2 has been surpassed by other games of the same genre. Counter Strike adds the word teamplay into the equation a lot more. This game is a breath of fresh air in FPS games.

• Advertisement

Master of Orion II owns me now. smile.gif Well it's something to do while your waiting for things to compile.

But I like multiplayer games, but mainly ones that require stategy or teamwork (eg. Tribes).

I suppose if I could get more PBEM type stategy games with nice UI I'd play them (I rarely get time to immerse into something for long periods).

Anyone got Warlords III? That's PBEM. Anyone fancy a game? smile.gif

Will it run on a P75? smile.gif

Cos thats all I've got atm.

Pretty sure it will. If you were playing online multiplayer might not handle it, but PBEM or single player will work fine. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by TinCool:
    I'd partially agree with you, with the advent of Quake 1/2 the online multiplayer deathmatch game took off, half life was a great single player game, never really got into it online as the netcode left a lot to be desired.

Half-:Life is rather cool witgh the new netcode... its a lote better for us modemers (and for those evil lpbs ,grr!)

Excuse mu typing i'm a wee bit pished

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone played HOMM 2/3. Next thing you know its bright outside. Shougun does that too.
    MOO3 could be the holy grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I've asked my galaxy do they want to join in
    so hopefully.

Did you read the designer notes of Moo3? Looks impressive.

They didn't mention it but someone might want to mention it to them....

For Moo3 what would be cool is a PBEM option which would mean everyone gets thier moves in by a certain time and then you could schedule Battles between the people you are fighting at set times (bit like arranging a Quake duel) and send that Data in afterwards. People who don't complete moves/battles by a set day loose thier moves.

I read a bit of it...and drooled (slightly). I hope they don't **** it up and so far so good.

Thing is, I want to forget about it now 'til its released. Waiting is so frustrating.

...because its the rhythem method of gaming.

Advertisement