Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best mp3 downloading program?

Options
  • 05-01-2003 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

which is best? i've tried I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM but it keeps crashing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

From the charter:

The RULES - again...
    Be civil to each other etc.

No discussion of where to get illegal copyrighted material on the intarweb.

I'm sick of cleaning up people posts which include the names of software to download music etc.

So... the whole thread gets deleted in future.

In other words, don't ask/tell here.

Good Monkeys

Lucutus

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Maybe he just wants to back up his CD collection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

since when did downloading mp3's become illegal. Is using I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM illegal??

Strange how the internet is becoming controlled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Valentia
    since when did downloading mp3's become illegal. Is using I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM illegal??

In general, for the purposes that 99.99% of people using it use it for... yes, of COURSE it is illegal.

Or perhaps you'd like to explain how it's "legal" to download (copyright breaking) COPIES of audio material that you don't have the right to own, having not paid for it?

Actually, don't bother, - this thread will most likely be deleted, in accordance with the rules, as quoted above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

In general, for the purposes that 99.99% of people using it use it for... yes, of COURSE it is illegal.

And what of the 0.01%?

Not that I'm saying this post doesn't break the rules (it clearly states no talking about mp3 downloads), but there are legitimate reasons for wanting a decent mp3 transfer system.

*Shrug

Originally posted by PiE

there are legitimate reasons for wanting a decent mp3 transfer system.

*Shrug

... and those are... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Maybe he just wants to back up his CD collection?

You don't need a downloader to back up your cd collection.

Or perhaps you'd like to explain how it's "legal" to download (copyright breaking) COPIES of audio material that you don't have the right to own, having not paid for it?

Did I say it was???

I sometimes wonder...anyway. It is NOT illegal to download mp3's it is NOT illegal to use I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUMor whatever. When it does become illegal in this country then ban posting the info.

Let those lovely altruistic record companies take action if they feel it's necessary. They might be too busy looking after their artists to have the time. Remember the Joe Strummer and the Clash record deal. They saw shag all of the money they earned because their sweet little record company saw fit to keep it themselves.

Please let adults make their own decisions.

There is absolutely no valid reason for not discussing mp3's on a forum titled Music/radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Bard
    ... and those are... ???

I have a recording of me, belching and I want the rest of the world to experience the wonder of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I KNOW THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM, BUT WANT TO PISS OFF LUCUTUS is probably the best, but its pretty ****ty for rarer or harder to find tracks... about a tenth of what TUT TUT TUT had I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM <sniff> Shut down THE DAY AFTER I GOT CABLE :'(

I sometimes wonder...anyway. It is NOT illegal to download mp3's it is NOT illegal to use gah or whatever. When it does become illegal in this country then ban posting the info.

Actually, where the mp3 is of a copyrighted piece of audio (as the VAST majority of them ARE), then yes, of COURSE it's illegal.

Remember the Joe Strummer and the Clash record deal. They saw shag all of the money they earned because their sweet little record company saw fit to keep it themselves.

That's a nice story.... really... thanks... but it's nothing to do with mp3 downloading software.

Please let adults make their own decisions.

There is absolutely no valid reason for not discussing mp3's on a forum titled Music/radio.

Perhaps, but there's a valid reason for not discussing mp3 downloading / person to person sharing software on this forum. That reason is: It's against the rules.

Actually, where the mp3 is of a copyrighted piece of audio (as the VAST majority of them ARE), then yes, of COURSE it's illegal.

Strange and all as it may seem it is NOT illegal in this country. There is no proper up to date legislation in place.

The logic on the second point escapes me and I suppose rules are rules. Daft ones are made everyday. Make sure you stick to the 30 mph limit now. 31 and you're done.

Strange and all as it may seem it is NOT illegal in this country. There is no proper up to date legislation in place.

Really? I suggest you read the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 (PDF)

Copyright in a sound recording comes into existence from when the first "fixation of the sound recording is made" - i.e.: when the artist originally records it. This copyright lasts until 70 years after the authors death.

Specifically, read Chapter 5, Section 46, Part 2. I believe it's the section that covers this specific matter.

"A person infringes the copyright in a work where he or she, without the license of the copyright owner, transmits the work by means of a telecommunications system (otherwise than by broadcasting or including in a cable programme service) knowing or having reason to believe that infringing copies of the work may be made by means of reception of the transmission in the State or elsewhere."

"Transmission by a telecommunications system" covers 'download over the Internet'. Therefore downloading a copy of a copywrite protected sound recording from the Internet without first obtaining a license from the copyright holder (author/artist) is an infringement of copyright under Irish law and hence ILLEGAL.

Oh... and the P2P progams themselves may be in contravention of Part 1 of that section, which says:

A person infringes the copyright in a work he or she, without the license of the copyright owner-

(a) makes

(b) sells, rents or lends, or offers or exposes for sale, rental or loan,

(c) imports into the State, or

(d) has in his or her posession, custody or control,

an article specifically designed or adapted for making copies of that work, knowing or having reason to believe that it has been or is to be used to make infringing copies. (Legally, this is a perfectly adequate description of the software in question)

Effectively, this makes the mere posession of any of the various file sharing applications an automatic copyright infringement under Irish law.

So, YES,... there IS proper up-to-date legislation in place. Happy? :)

The logic on the second point escapes me and I suppose rules are rules. Daft ones are made everyday. Make sure you stick to the 30 mph limit now. 31 and you're done.

Completely off topic as this is (how I drive is none of your business), its a fact actually that the gardaí have been instructed to be vigilant and strict with regard to penalty points for speeding and to apply the full extent of the law to people driving as little as 1mph above the limit.

Neeeeext! :)

My very humble apologies. I bow before the superior being. :):)

(No sarcasm intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

"Transmission by a telecommunications system" covers 'download over the Internet'. Therefore downloading a copy of a copywrite protected sound recording from the Internet without first obtaining a license from the copyright holder (author/artist) is an infringement of copyright under Irish law and hence ILLEGAL.

I guess they should arrest me then ? ! :):)
    This country is great at making laws that are not enforced.
    I guess they better get cells ready for all those boards users :D

Proof has to be obtained that the mp3's in question you download from internet are indeed backups of cd's you own.

It's still a grey area, that recent legislation does not define in the strictest terms where it is absolutely illegal to download.
    They would have to monitor who does download, obtain info from isp, get a warrant to search your property and then obtain proof that the material is owned in cd/tape form in the first place.

This has not happened yet because of the sheer numbers of people that would have to be investigated and the isp's obstruction to giving out personal info about users (Re: Verizon and numerous isp's in usa)
    Even the RIAA in america has publicly stated that they are after the uploaders and software NOT the downloaders themselves.
    Only prosecutions that have taken place worldwide are those that sell for profit on a big scale.
    Basically the whole mp3 download argument boils down to labels vs consumers.
    an article specifically designed or adapted for making copies of that work, knowing or having reason to believe that it has been or is to be used to make infringing copies. (Legally, this is a perfectly adequate description of the software in question)

Errr, the likes of P2P programs like I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM don't make copies of the offending material. Its software like :) that are the offending software used to make infringing copies.
    Heck even windows makes copies of mp3's in file format, sure bill gates will have to be prosecuted then :):)
    A person infringes the copyright in a work where he or she, without the license of the copyright owner...
    This is the part where I HAVEN'T READ THE RULES FOR THIS FORUM *might* apply as its still a grey area as Dutch court recently ruled it was legal.
    Does this law about downloaders include those recordings whose 30 year copyright protection has expired ?
    How would a downloader know if an oldies song is in fact a violation of this law ?

Originally posted by gurramok
    Errr, the likes of P2P programs like :) don't make copies of the offending material. Its software like :) etc that are the offending software used to make infringing copies.

I'd just like to correct this point...

Let's say I use a copy of :) to download a song I want from someone else. Let's call him Frank.

First the file was just on Frank's PC, ... but now it's on both Frank's PC and my PC. Therefore a copy was made in the transaction - a transaction carried out by the :) software.

So, as I said, in legal terms, "an article specifically designed or adapted for making copies of that work, knowing or having reason to believe that it has been or is to be used to make infringing copies" is a perfectly adequate description of P2P software such as :).

The words "having reason to believe that it has been or is to be used to make infringing copies" are important there ... as it's quite common knowledge that programs like :) are used to transfer illegal copies of copyrighted files and songs on a regular basis.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that I'm a law-abiding model citizen or that I don't break these laws myself. I'm just stating the facts according to the legislation of the state we live in... and how what a "Dutch court recently ruled" is relevant, I don't know.
    Does this law about downloaders include those recordings whose 30 year copyright protection has expired ?

Well, if the copyright has expired there isn't an issue, is there?

Mind you, the wording of the text in the act could be construed to make it illegal to use such software as :) in the first place because of what it is known to be used for - so what you yourself are using it for may be irrelevant.
    How would a downloader know if an oldies song is in fact a violation of this law ?

Presumably, they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

oh ffs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement