Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an investment

Options
  • 06-01-2003 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a decent electric guitar
    but im looking for one that will give me excellent sound and versatility.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

you say investment, so i'm guessing you're willing to spend a bit,
    i can't tell you all the options but i can recommend an american stratocaster.
    lovely sound
    lovely to play
    musicmaker usually include them in their sales this time of year but second-hand jobs are an option if €1000 is too loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

American Fender Jazzmaster.

OR Fender Tornado..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Amz, there's a music shop on capel st. that has a beauuuutiful fender telecaster in the window - a kinda greeney colour, brand new guitar.

Lash some heavy strings, say 11's, onto it, and you'd have a full range of sonics, as they're traditionally kinda high-eq based guitars.. the heavy strings would bring out the lower tones, etc .... while maintaing the fact that you got a kickass axe! I think its about 679 eurodollars

If you dont buy it, ITS MINE - NOBODY TOUCH IT!

I mean it, like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

But without spending 1000 euro, you could try out a Fender 'Jagmaster' which is a thoroughly decent guitar for less than 300 euro. They have 'em in MM and Musician, I think.
    Failing that, you could give us a little more info on what you want to buy, and what you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Just buy a Jagstang who doesn't want a Jagstang?

I dare you to look at a Kangaroo and not laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

WOOLBAGS you git...

You were the one who gave out to me for wanting to buy a telecaster a few years ago saying they were purley britpop.

I wanted to look like Bruce Springsteen or Keith Richards with the nice black scratch plate and yellowy type wood.

sniff...

I suppose those were the days when you liked Marshall amps aswell.

anyway I didn't know thick strings brought out the lower tones better. I might try 10s instead of my ridiculously light gage 8s next time... it's just so easy to play them.
    Good tip
    Keith

Ah, Mr. Burkinson.

Yeah, I've done a 180. I simply fell in love with this tele as soon as i passed the shop window.

I *would* maintain that purchasing a fender tele would be purely for tone/warmth/quality of note, but this guitar looks rappa', and i must have it. I have no problem saying I'm gonna buy it to look cool:cool:

Marshalls - :eek: - In the past couplpe of years i've come to learn that marshalls are AWFUL AWFUL amps.

AWFUL!

Plus - heavy gauge strings rock! Though associated with metallers & stuff, its dead easy to achieve a really warm tone with them, and then use the ol' pickups to get a jangly sound out of em too...

8's? EIGHTS??????

P.U.S.S.Y

hehe

Get those 8 gauge's off your guitar immediately. Scold yourself roundly for even considering using such wimpy strings. Do they not break all the time? . Normally I'd recommend going straight to 11's, but you (and your guitar, which will need to be set up for higher gauge strings) will probably need to go a gauge at a time, due to the wimpyness of your fingers. Jeeeez!

Seriously, thicker strings sound a lot better in my opinion. Not only are they bassier, but they're louder, and you get a much better feel for what the guitar is actually doing. Git doon d geeetar store, boyyy!

Dr. Woolington my good man...

I'm gone off the teles a bit. Granted they look very cool... but that's as far as it goes for me.

I love playing the oul strats. Plus there's more ways to change the sound with the pick up selector than on a tele.

These days the boss is still the hero but after spending a few afternoons in Music Maker playing his tele it's just to darn high end for my type of playing (which is kinda bluesy).

I'm going to try and get a decent sunburst strat and put a black scratch board on it. It'll look like legendary guitarist Tommy whatsit who plays on Sunday nights in the Peter Moore blues band in town... That guy is a legend.

I would like to get a nice Les Paul aswell but i don't like playing them... it's just.... well it's not a strat. They sound great... nice and fat. Like Peter Green... I'm probably old fashioned.

I might try some of the other fenders mentioned above... I wonder if they feel like a strat and aren't as expensive.

Good luck with the tele... I'll see it at the next getto gig I'm at.
    Capel street is a nice cheap street. There should be more music shops in cheap areas.

Keith

cheez... 8s really are bad eh?

i use an effect on the boss GT3 that is supposed to turn single coyle pick ups to humbuckers.

i think that's what let's me away with the thin ones...

I'l move on...

Keith

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Keithaburke
    i use an effect on the boss GT3 that is supposed to turn single coyle pick ups to humbuckers.

Cease trying to blind us with mumbo jumbo...Just lose the 8's!

A rule of thumb should be - Don't play what ya can't see.

:p

there's a nerd in all of us

I had my nerd expunged a number of years ago.

Maybe that was just a colonic

Oh, I forgot to say...

Burn all your effects boxes

Any box that claims to make single coils sound like humbuckers is lying to you. Burn it. Or sell it. You'll be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

muppet monarchy great to have you back!

i love my tele its a mexican one i got it for 499punts so its probs about 650europes should be 634 but they're bound to try and rob ya

theres more expensive guitars amz but i'd go for the one that grabs ya like the wands in the first harry potter book/movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

not seeing much appreciation for the greatest guitar ever, the Les Paul, in this thread.

Im thinking of getting the Custom Les Paul "Black Beauty" with the gold pick ups. oooooh, thats a nice guitar.
    You can't go wrong with a Les Paul, its just so much better to play than any Fender, in my own over-rated opinion.

Is this music shop on Capel St 'Goodwins'? just wondering.

Does anyone know of a music shop in Weston?, ive heard theres a great one there, but ive never been.
    Im trying to find myself an affordable digital recorder, and not having much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i gotta say i prefer my tele to les paul maybe its cos i got real attached to the tele when les was off at the doctor

Not a big fan of Les Paul's myself. I probably haven't played enough of 'em to have an iron-clad opinion of them.
    Don't much like digital recorders, neither. I'm a prickly kinda guy. They all LOVE me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Les Pauls are fun but really heavy! It'd keep you fit holding that up through an evening of rockin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Al Higgins

I would just go for the guitar that says "buy me" when you look at it in the shop.Thats what happened to me.I couln't afford itbought it anyway and havn't regretted it for a single moment...

..the guitar a black tele custom(thats the one with a humbucker and a single coil pick-up)
    Theres one in music maker at the mo for about 1000.

I think its the sexiest guitar aroundbut thats just my opinion
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

It only looks sexy when there is a balding bearded pale mess playing it...namely me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thanks for yer help

i think it'll take more than a guitar to make me look sexy so i guess ill just suffer on and try and play!

Amz
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Lord I hate Les Pauls.

Yes telecasters are the gods of the guitar world (altho I certainly wouldn't buy one if I serious about wanky lead guitar...) They are definitely in-vogue at the moment, altho when I got my first (about 6 years ago..) I got some funny looks as people wondered what I was doing with a quote "country & western" guitar. Send that baby thru a big muff and C & W wasn't mentioned again. ;)

These days I'm playing... pretty much my dream guitar (I guess there *are* advantages to having a job.. well I'll be...) ... American Fender Telecaster, nice double sunburst finish. The assistant in music maker was almost in tears selling it to me.

As for a good guitar to start with, I recommend in the strongest possible way the Fender Squire Telecaster series. The quality of sound for the price you pay for them is nothing short of incredible.

Also gonna buy a bass soon... altho I'm trying to hold off cos I really splurged at xmas.... (anyone notice how expensive your life can become when you have a girlf? ;) ). Pretty sure I'm gonna go for a fender precision as I like it's deep punchy sounds. Any bassists got any opinion??

Advertisement