Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO time and i need help on finding a course

Options
  • 06-01-2003 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

The time is coming to put pen to paper and i'm really stuck in a rut on deciding what to do. Realistically i'd like to pursue a course in business and english, but i do have a keen interest in computers and was considering computer science but i'm absolutely ignorant when it comes to mathematics, on top of that i do no science subjects such as physics, chemistry nor biology which greatly reduces my options so i may as well rule out computer science. If i was to be blatantly honest i'd say the maximum amount of points i could achieve would be in the region of 375 - 420 mark, because i've missed a lot of time this year (5 weeks which was totally unavoidable) and screwed around a lot. I was wondering if anyone could throw me some ideas on courses which may tailored towards business and english and would sit comfortably within my ideal points range.

Heres a list of subjects i do with the level and the result i'd be hoping for come June:

English - Hon - A2
    Irish - Hon - B3
    German - Ord - C2
    Maths - Ord - C2
    Business - Hon - A1
    Geography- Hon - C1
    History - Hon - A2

Just to clarify things i will be talking to my school guidance counsellor but she is not really much help so i was hoping the nice people on boards who have gone through this or are, will be able to shine some light on the road for poor ol caesar.

Cheers guys/gals if you could help you'd be saving my balls big time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Don't rule out a computer related course yet. From your choices the only computer courses you'll be excluded from are the ones in UCG, UCC and UCD, the courses there alll stink so it's not like you're missing out on anything.

Business type courses are supposed to be dead boring so maybe you should consider something like arts or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

school guidance counsellor

they tend to just say "go with what you would like to do". what drivel

howwver, you can mix Busness and Computers with Office Information Systems and the like.

Best ring up the colleges and find out what course would suit your requirements...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone's career guidance counsellor ever advised tehm to become a career guidance counsellor?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Remember all those open days you went to last year? ;)

As Gone Shootin said, you seem to consider yourself good at Business, and you like Computers, so a Business course may be for you, as they tend to have modules on Web Design and other eBusiness related crap.

Go surf.

Many colleges have extremely well updated websites.
    http://www.ucd.ie/~commerce/ for example. :)

Im a bit sketchy on this but there is an independent test (or set of tests) which what can tell you what you are best suited for. Ask your guidance counsellor about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Originally posted by Jabba
    Im a bit sketchy on this but there is an independent test (or set of tests) which what can tell you what you are best suited for. Ask your guidance counsellor about it.

There is, i did it last year. Its called "Centigrade, Finding the Right Degree or hdn course"

I was told to do Economics, Psychology or computing/it

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

All of the websites i've checked just give some information about the actual course but omit the subject requirements and last years point requirements, this is why i'm finding it extremely hard to pick some courses.
    Remember all those open days you went to last year
    I only went to the trinity open day so thats why i'm more or less stuck in a rut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Ask your Career Guidance teacher for the Qualifax CD ROM. Up until this year they have been exclusively available to Guidance Counsellors, but this year they are allowed to lease it out. Basically you fill in your preferences point expectancy etc or enter key words and it will list all the options open to you.

Failing that I reccomend you go to Careers World. Answer 75 questions and it tells you where your interests lay and from there you can search for courses that match your interest.

Personally I find Careers World better, but Qualifax is good in that you can save your details (and friends') into a database. Not just courses but preferences, points, information on CAO, studying abroad, etc.

The Careers World website can be found at www.careersworld.com.

It's an Irish company too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Or better yet just go directly to http://www.qualifax.ie
    If you're unsure about what course to do, just choose arts and decide your subjects when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Take a year out ;)

At least just fill your CAO up with ****e, you can update it later. Look into certain courses.

You have to think about computers. Do you actually like them ? Can you imagine yourself working with them for the next few years ?

Do you just enjoy using them looking through them, playing games and so on ?

Lot's of people seem to make that mistake, they hate programinng and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

look into BESS in TCD

Business Economic and Social Studies..

Advertisement