Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV memories...

• 06-01-2003 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is really retro or not... (if not it can be moved to wherever people deem it appropriate :) )

... but does anyone remember, way back then in the dark ages of tv, that cablelink got rid of Sky One. Just gone. For months...

As far as I remember we just went for about a year without the simpsons, family ties and whatnot... anyone else remember this, or is it one of those scenarios that I just imagined?

... or how about any other TV memories you have and want to add? Any takers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Heh,

This would have been better suited to the auld Cable / MMDS / Broadband forum, but then you sneakily close the post with...
    ... or how about any other TV memories you have and want to add? Any takers?

;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Big TV nostalgia fan here....

I tell ye what caught my eye recently....

Challenge TV, the quiz show channel over Christmas week showed a heap of old quiz shows from the 60's to the 80's. Like The Golden Shot. Sale of the Century. Crackerjack! 321. New Faces (the all star final with Jim Davidson the comedian and Our Kid, 70's one hit wonder Scouse boy band.) The Adventure Game. Opportunity Knocks. Larry Grayson's Generation Game. All good TV from yesteryear!

Crackerjack brought back all the memories for me. Unfortunately it was the Stu Francis era, but hell, it was good to see it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The Stu Francis era of Crackerjack! is the only one I can recall, alas: "Oooh, I could crush a grape".

I'd love to know where a recovering Moominaholic like myself could get a fix. "The Moomins" was a fabulously left field, wacky piece of kiddies television. Willo the Wisp was another, although having 'Evil Edna' as a demonic television was a little transparent.

On the subject of TV quizzes, how about 'The Price is Right' (original version) with Lesley Crowther. Fridge freezers for £40! A re-run of that show would be much more challenging as you'd have to guess 70's/80's prices. 3-2-1 was another goodie with Ted Rogers and Dusty Bin. I never understood that the consolation prize of 'Dusty Bin' was actually a small pottery one, and not the huge robotic version. To my childish mind a huge robotic 'Dusty Bin' would be the best prize in the world! Sod £180 and a week in Blackpool- call that a first prize? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember cause we lost super and the childrens channel too:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah the swines took away Mtv too, and that was when there was some decent **** on Mtv.

Caught a couple of editions of Unsolved Mysteries over the Christmas break, "maybe you could help solve a mystery..." on UK Gold, and they also had an A-Team weekend, which was wicked, and really brought me back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement