Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

802.11b network: cannot enable client for Microsoft Networks

• 06-01-2003 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Putting my laptop on the wireless network in work... card in, recognised, grand... connects to the Internet via our wireless hub & DSL router, but can't browse the LAN.

Checked the properties and it seems TCP/IP is activated fine, but the boxes next to "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" are unticked.

I try ticking them and hitting "OK" and a box pops up telling me:
    Your current selection will also disable the following components:
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

Are you sure you want to disable these component(s)?

Yes No

I choose "No" here, of course.

I hadn't selected to disable anything of course... just selected to re-enable those two particular items so that I could browse the network and print to our network printer. It USED to work before and I've no idea why it isn't working now.

Basically, I need to enable these two network objects - and I can't. Would anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

What operating system are you using and what type of wireless card? Have you also got the latest drivers for your card, and updates/service packs for your operating system?

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Windows XP SP1.

D-Link DWL-650 IEEE 802.11b WLAN card.

It worked before. It doesn't now.

Not sure what it could be that I installed in the interim to stop it letting me put the tick in the box next to Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

whilst yez are on the topic....I recently received 2 lucent adapter cards for orinoco wi fi cards but no floppys for flashing them...any idea where I would get the software?
    ps don’t refer me to Irishwan as their boards thingy isn’t working.

Advertisement