Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farnborough for the FA Cup

• 06-01-2003 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Norwich/Brighton v Plymouth/Dagenham & Redbridge

Southampton v Cambridge/Millwall

Walsall/Reading v Wimbledon

Blackburn v Bolton/Sunderland

Rochdale v Cardiff/Coventry

Fulham v Charlton

Sheffield United v Ipswich

Shrewsbury v Chelsea

Stoke v Bournemouth/Crewe

Brentford v Grimsby/Burnley

Farnborough v Arsenal

Manchester United v West Ham

Gillingham/Sheff Wed v Leeds

Wolves v Leicester

Watford v West Brom

Crystal Palace v Liverpool

Ties to be played weekend January 25-26

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

C'mon Farnborough!! It would be great if they did a Wrexham and put one over Arsenal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

no chance, looks like arsenal are set for a an easy run to the cup. The gods of chance are finally smiling on arsenal. happy days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Hopefully Farnborough won't elect to play at Highbury, take Arsenal to their 4,000 capacity ground, bumpy pitch, dreadful surface, could be anybody's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

That will be another 3 premiership teams at least biting the dust. This should be a very interesting competition. Over half the premeirship teams will be out after the fourth round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

there's a pic of Farnborough's home ground on www.footballgroundz.co.uk , it's going to be some laugh watching a load of gooners crammed in there... in a totally unrelated move, I've attached a picture of the greatest mullet family ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Ha ha ha.

LOL

I can just picture it now. Henry and the lads wont know where they are.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Come on Shrewsbury! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by joey D
    in a totally unrelated move, I've attached a picture of the greatest mullet family ever.

:p LOL :p
    that's priceless :p

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Hopefully Farnborough won't elect to play at Highbury

according to the news they may not have a say in the matter. something about room for the media etc.

• Advertisement

Pity. I'd love to see Arsenals multi million pound team play on a pitch thats probably worse than the one in Saipan :p

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    according to the news they may not have a say in the matter. something about room for the media etc.

I don't think that this is the case, I was reading the text last night and apparently an FA official has said that it would not be in the spirit of the competition to make Farnborough play at a particular venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i can see it now arsenal 2-1 down , 91st minute, edu shoots high and wide into the housing estate. henry frantically runs to retrieve the ball.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

They will go to the arsnal home ground for a share in the ticket money. I remember a few years ago we were drawen to play preston north end, thought this would be a walkover. If you remember it you will understand. Although farnborough are a confrence team, should not be too hard.

Originally posted by TomTom
    I remember a few years ago we were drawen to play preston north end, thought this would be a walkover

i nearly had a heart attack that night. talk about a shaky start

i can see it now arsenal 2-1 down , 91st minute, edu shoots high and wide into the housing estate. henry frantically runs to retrieve the ball.

ROFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Farnborough v Arsenal live on Sky
    Farnborough are still in discussions with Hampshire Police over whether or not security and safety issues will allow them to host their tie with Arsenal at their 4,163-capacity Aimita Stadium. If Boro get the go-ahead, then the clash with the reigning cup holders will be shown live from Cherrywood Road by Sky Sports at 12:30pm on Saturday 25 January.
    www.teamtalk.com

They will go to the arsenal home ground for a share in the ticket money

They wont have to(if they are allowed play at home) as all the clubs playing in televised matches receive £265,000 - gotta to be close to what they'd receive if they shared the gate - thats a helluva lot of cash for a conference side plus the chance to play the champions on their turf-too good to turn down imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I think they should play at home too. If they were to have ANY chance of getting through to the next round, that'd be it....

Apparently the players would prefer to play at Highbury though, experience the atmosphere. Would be a tad more spectacular then they're own home ground would be ;) And it's unlikely they'll ever get the same opportunity again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

There's no reason why the match shouldn't be played at farnborough, surely they could put up temporary seating like Stevanage did when the played Newcastle!

id say the odds would be pretty good on farnborough to at least score. 7/1 perhaps or maybe 5/1.

i predict an arsenal win of 3-1 with farnborough to equalise arsenals 1st goal.

could be the potential banana skin of the year.

• Advertisement

I would love to see Farnborough knock out Arsenal.
    I'd love it if they knocked out any premiership club.
    For them to score would do me tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Farnborough are switching the game to Highbury, it looks like that has ended Sky Sports interest in the tie..Pity. Not that I'd have seen the game.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,870671,00.html

Mike.

Cant blame them really, they will get alot more money out of holding the game at Highbury.

Depends on how many people turn up really, they will get half of the gate but how many Arsenal fans do you reckon will turn up to see them play farnborough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Arsenal, being the general souls that they are, have promised Farnborough all the profits from the programme sales at the match. Farnborough have lost sky's televised fee (to Gillingham v leeds) but will get a highlights fee of £40,000 instead...pity its all about money...they claim that they cant guarantee the safety of the Arsenal supporters at Cherrywood road and thats why they asked the fa to change the venue :D

Fans will always turn up for a cup match. Anyway most arsenal fans will expect a cricket score and will not want to miss the fun. I think there will be a good sized crowd there. As well as any who travel, I do not think the distance is too far so I would say alot of people from Farnborough will go. I heard someone suggest they shopuld play in Readings ground ( near Farnborough ) that probably would have been a fair compromise.

But it would have been a better pitch and would have detracted from the spectacle that would have been Henry & Pires hurdling over the lumps and divots in the sod at Cherrywood. I think that in itself would have made Sky Sports turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As an arsenal fan i dont mind saying that id love to see them score in the match. Realistically the dont have a hope, but id begrudge them a draw even. Its all about the romance of the cup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean you would'nt begrudge them a draw shirley?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Dustaz you sound just like an Everton fan i spoke to before the third round!

Advertisement