Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin Availabilty

Options
  • 06-01-2003 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Yo dudes,
    I live in Glasnevin and as far as i can see the best i can do for myself is ISDN. Anyone know otherwise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Leap have a base station (or will have) on Park House on the NCR. Is that 2 far??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

Acoording to Leap"We do have a site there on the NCR. Park House I think it is called, however it will not be built fully for several months".

But they tell me thats their ThreeRock site might be able to reach me in a month or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by threefour
    But they tell me thats their ThreeRock site might be able to reach me in a month or two
    That will be a fairly powerful transmitter if that's the case. Be interesting to see how that works out. It would give Eircom a run for their money.

I wouldnt mind so much, but DCU is less than 5 mins walk away, the probably have megafast lines, while us the taxpayers get to use neothlithic 56k modems. the joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you are less than 5 min from DCU, you might be on the Whiehall exchange which is dsl enabled.
    Only downside depending on your wealth(rich is better) is the cost of i-scream dsl :D

• Advertisement

Im not 100% sure what exchange im on but on the esat site i typed in my phone number and no luck. I suppose ill go ring eircom now, make sure i havent been talking through my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I'm also on the whitehall exchange but really dont feel like paying the RAT a kings ransom for their sub par service. Unfortunately the Esat DSL variant is not "available in your area yet"- so it should be there in about 10 years.

Cmon hannibal, be optimistic.. its more like 12 years.

Yeah i just found out i'm in the whitehall exchange and yes i can get I-stream. Expensive but yes a whole way better than 56k.

I cant get through to esat on 1890923923, but i'll take your word for it.

Thanks fer yer help dudes.

Well when i get the istream installed, if there are any folks in the Glasnevin area that are interested in setting up a wireless WAN, feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

DCU are running wireless lan tests on campus, with an omnidirectional antenna and MacGyver you could proably patch in ;)

If your down in the Tolka valley you might be hidden from Leaps mast but if your on a height you should be ok, I think Noelrock said the Santry exchange was running DSL and it covers most of glasnevin north.

• Advertisement

cool, any ideas how id go about patching into dcu?
    As for the dsl in glasnevin, who is noelrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I am :)!

Yeah, have been talking to Eircom for about a year (?) now with regards to DSL... Santry exchange is upgraded... Glasnevin North is covered by Santry exchange - not sure if any other parts are.

I have no idea about the wireless lan patching into DCU - not my field of expertise at all, I'm sure someone here could reply with the info on what you'd need and how you'd do it...

Deadly. i know what parts i need for the wireless wan, but i'd hardly see DCU allowed me access it. Or would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If their security is any good you won't be able to get at it (HEANet are pretty paranoid about these things)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Lads if the exchange is only upgraded with e$rcons offering I would hold off for Esats or anyone else who might get into the ring.IF you do a search on the boards you will find lenghy discussions regarding very high ping times with e$rcons flavour but if ping is not your thing go for it
    Regards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

thegills wrote:
    Leap have a base station (or will have) on Park House on the NCR. Is that 2 far??

Where is Park House and the NCR?

Does anyone know what exchange Griffith Avenue (Charlemont to be precise) is on? and what broadband options might be avaliable here?

Thanks for any info,
    bk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    Lads if the exchange is only upgraded with e$rcons offering I would hold off for Esats or anyone else who might get into the ring.IF you do a search on the boards you will find lenghy discussions regarding very high ping times with e$rcons flavour but if ping is not your thing go for it
    Regards

Eircoms pings are not "very high". They are just higher than esats. I generally get a ping of 40-60. Apparently esat gives a 20-40 ping.

Advertisement