Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL

Options
  • 06-01-2003 5:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

What's the current story regarding isdn straight to adsl, wasn't there a thread on it a few months ago where it was said they were introducing it around new year.

I'm fairly certain that my line is compatible as I had my neighbour check his pstn line for compatibility and it is.

So my question is do you still have to downgrade from isdn to pstn or is this service now available where u can go straight from isdn to dsl?

Thanks etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Best bet would be to ring eircom and hear the lies straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Good luck with getting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

you have to get your isdn downgraded to analgoue (€100) just to test for adsl and if u fail the test ur screwed, another €130 or whatever it is to get isdn back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Originally posted by Repli
    you have to get your isdn downgraded to analgoue (€100) just to test for adsl and if u fail the test ur screwed, another €130 or whatever it is to get isdn back

That was supposed to have changed this month with ADSL now available over ISDN lines.. According to 1901

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

wish people would read posts fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

from reading another thread eircom are able to test over ISDN,

although not heard anything of that flavour coming from ESAT, but they cant be that much behind

youd want ESAT taz, they will give 20pings, eircon however, tripple it and add a bit and thats what ur talking

baz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Ring them, tell us what they tell us and tell us later if it turns out to be true;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I have spent a lot of time on this. The current position is:

The test can be done over your existing ISDN line, without altering it in any way.

If the test proves successful, and if you want to proceed, then you must have ISDN removed (line downgraded) before DSL can be installed.

Eircom has no plans to deliver DSL "over" or "alongside" ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

This was the way 4 months ago things have changed

If you want to get DSL from Eircom and you have a ISDN line . Eircom can now currently check over your ISDN line to see if it sucessful for DSL but Comreg wont let them go ahead with it beacuse none of the other companies out there ie ESAT can provide the same service ( personally I dont see the justification behind this as it will be good for people that want DSL and have ISDN lines it will save users money by not having to install new lines)

You get your Line Tested its sucessful -> downgrade to PSTN -> get DSL installed and its really that simple.

Make a call to these people and ask the correct questions instead of listening to others alot of this stuff on this board is very true but a lot is Bull you make up your own mind.

The numbers are Home 1800 512128 If you are a business 1800 501502

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

Hi, I've been following this discussion with some interest as our company currently has Eircons hi-spend and its racking up some frightening charges.

Anyway, I've just phoned Eircon at the above business number who told me they can't do anything for me and got me to phone another 1800 number who then told me that its somewhere else....blah blah blah, I won't bore you with the conversation.

Finally got through on 1800 503303 for a line test but sadly they can't test an ISDN line, when pressed the emphasis was on the "can't"

As stated above Eircon CS as still suggesting downgrading (€€) and testing

Anyway got them to test our fax line and it failed, seems the Dublin Belcamp exchange isn't enabled.. :(

Anyway got them to test our fax line and it failed, seems the Dublin Belcamp exchange isn't enabled

Did you speak to a biddy ...... belcamp is enabled and yes they can test your ISDN line but they cant go ahead with it as the OTDR wont allow it but trust me they can.

Find out if your business has an account manager and speak to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

Ah afraid so, I'll give the account manager a bell, thanks for the info Guru ;)

When did Odtr/Comreg ban Eircom from testing ISDN lines for DSL?
    This seems crazy - or maybe I have misunderstood you? You are correct Eircom can line test ISDN - they tested mine - but lots of their staff still did not know they could do this just before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If its true about Comreg stopping Eircom from testing lines over ISDN then its sorta scary to think the one time they try and protect us as customers they manage to screw us over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Comreg are right in Principle to do this.

Otherwise Eircom (the 'only' ones with the test) would cherry pick the ISDN installed base which is largely Small and Medium Business anyway.

Commreg also Found that Eircom should have a 'wholesale offering' on that SMS over Landline product as well and didn't make them shut it down at the time.

Maybe they have until end Feb to become 'fully compliant' or something. Until then they cannot 'push' the product.

I always ring 1800 501502 when in doubt about these things, much nicer and more knowledgeable staff and very few biddys

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom could easily upgrade ISDN to ADSL. It's another quick way to rip us off. They win if you get their pricey I-Stre@m, they win if you dont.

and...

I wouldn't accept a failure first time. Get it checked twice or more.

At work we failed our ADSL test twice on the line we put forward. I told our account manager in Eirshlt that if we dont have ADSL by the following month, he'll lose our account (estimated €23,000 this year on phone bill).

Well ohh be the holy...the next day we got a call saying everything would be sorted shortly...and it was ;)

I understood that ESAT could also test my line (which is in one of their enabled exchanges).
    Surely the sensible thing from Comreg's point of view would be for Eircom to be obliged to share such test information widely rather than keep potential broadband subscribers in the dark?

Can anyone definitively confirm what is the rule on this one?

hey Vinny you would think that but comreg are a strange bunch of people they do some good things but most of the time they inhibit us from getting what we want and need.

New technology is always expensive when its first released its hardly every designed for the lay person but if you want it you will pay for it. and the bigger businesses have the cash and resources to pay for over priced technology.

So I guess all our hands are tied at the moment

Guru
    How are you so sure about this - can you point us to your source? and, in particular to any official text explaining the logic?

Thanks

V

I have no official text but I have been told by a source in Eircom that this is the Reason.
    They cant release it because its seen a having an advantage over there competitors .
    Some of the staff know they can test ISDN but I guess its up to them weither or not they choose to ask the customer to wait or they ask them downgrade I would suggest that at all times call 1800 501502 as speak to your account manager if you have one and stay from 1901.

the bottom line is they can test ISDN lines and thats it !! But they can go ahead with the sale as they are no allowed as pew the OTDR ............ this might change at the end of january.

Its the same with the trail of the SMS why stop it what harm somebody whats to send a text message from there home phone who cares if esat choras or worldcom have not invested to do this themselves if you have deveolped a product for your company are you going to give to everyone else so they can sell it first I dont think But thats just my view.

and please I understand the whole monopoly thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by the Guru

Its the same with the trial of the SMS why stop it what harm somebody whats to send a text message from there home phone

He must have been talking to a Rodent all right. The problem with the Rodents argument, my dear Guru, is that the product was LAUNCHED on the market with no wholesale offering.

It was most certainly NOT on trial , Eircom would never spend €500k advertising a 'trial ' now would they. Comreg was right to tell them to stop pushing it.

There is an issue where an unfair competitive advantage accrues to the Incumbent if they internalise a line test and put their competitors at a disadvantage in running this mysterious test on their own lines and then not release the 'data' to their competitors. That must be addressed.

Thanks for telling us the Rats eye view, I totally agree with you on ringing 1800501502 at ALL times even if there is no problem, they are far more professional than the 1901 mob.

M

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by the Guru
    I have no official text but I have been told by a source in Eircom that this is the Reason.
    They cant release it because its seen a having an advantage over there competitors .

the bottom line is they can test ISDN lines and thats it !! But they can go ahead with the sale as they are no allowed as pew the OTDR ............ this might change at the end of january.

Its the same with the trail of the SMS why stop it what harm somebody whats to send a text message from there home phone who cares if esat choras or worldcom have not invested to do this themselves if you have deveolped a product for your company are you going to give to everyone else so they can sell it first I dont think But thats just my view.

VinnyFitz's question, however, was:

"I understood that ESAT could also test my line (which is in one of their enabled exchanges).
    Surely the sensible thing from Comreg's point of view would be for Eircom to be obliged to share such test information widely rather than keep potential broadband subscribers in the dark?

Can anyone definitively confirm what is the rule on this one?"

This appears to be another example of Eircom benefiting from the 'non-descrimation' rules and the consumer losing.

1. Eircom don't pass on info to other companies so they can't use that info themselves.

2. Eircom benefit by not using the information anyway since people have to pay a fortune to downgrade from ISDN in order to do the test and then upgrade again if it fails.

3. Eircom get to use the regulatory prohibition as an excuse not to release the information to the public (I think this is what you are saying, The Guru).

As a side benefit (to Eircom), a lot of people will be put off going for ADSL (as if the price was not enough) and stick with ISDN.

The SMS was only ever released on a trail basis to test the network ........until its launch you will find that you cant SMS from landlines any more as from today (as it was only on trail) . Im sure that this advertising money was spent on this phone as this was one of the features that most people I guess where interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

So you're implying that eircom has turned the regulator's constraints on them into a benefit, by simply not allowing anyone to do this test instead of allowing all wholesale operators to share and release the data?

What would comreg have to say about that?
    Surely it's not right to have them making a shagging profit out of the impositions the regulator has placed on them, to STOP them making an unfair profit/user base!

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by zynaps
    So you're implying that eircom has turned the regulator's constraints on them into a benefit, by simply not allowing anyone to do this test instead of allowing all wholesale operators to share and release the data?

What would comreg have to say about that?
    Thats what I gather from what The Guru was saying.

Advertisement