Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairgains....something is up and its good.

Options
  • 06-01-2003 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The CFLMP , in a nutshell this is a Doc agreed between

Eircom
    ODTR
    Other Operators

In April 2002. Among other things it bans the deployment of pairgains AS and From that date. Comreg seems to have further tightened the document up in a new, agreed , revision in December 2002. This revision , Issue 2 is available on the Eircom Technical Standards Website now.

Page 15 , Sec tion 6 , Sub Loop Insertion

(Sub Loop is tech speak for splitters/pairgains/dacs/carrier lines whatever)

"Without controls on the deployment of SLI the benefits of the CLFMP would be negated in certain cases" how astute lads. Here are the new interesting bits in plain English!

Street Cabinets are to be deployed in future to provide for 'extensions' from the local exchange'

ALL customers are to be within 1.5KM of the Cabinet...or CAB, if the CAB is positioned in a manner that leaves certain customers in that diurection beyond the 1.5Km tail limit then it is illegal.

If CAB is also within 2KM of exchange all services including SHDSL available , max customer distance from exchange is 2KM + 1.5Km Tail = 3.5KM

If CAB is also within 3KM of exchange all services including ADSL available , max customer distance from exchange is 3KM + 1.5Km Tail = 4.5KM

If CAB is also within 4.5KM of exchange all services including ADSL available , max customer distance from exchange is 4.5KM + 1.5Km Tail = 6KM

Instead of installing crap, Eircom now have to install high tech street cabs (not rubbishy pole mounts) and thereby guarantee ADSL (and that out as far as 6KM from the Main Local Exchange depending on Cab positioning.

Sections 7 and 8 following appear the same as before, these were the April 2002 Pairgain rules.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Sub Loop Insertion is not tech talk for splitters etc it's for fibre to the cabinet which actually interferes with DSL at certain ranges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sub Loop Insertion is not tech talk for splitters etc it's for fibre to the cabinet which actually interferes with DSL at certain ranges

How does an optical technology interfere with an electrical one? Seriously, I'm asking.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

From reading about the CABS here and in the other thread, it would seem that ComReg want 100% xDSL coverage in Ireland.

Has that been achieved in any country, ever?

Nice to see them looking ahead, but maybe they should learn to walk before they run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

This is probably a good negotiation tactic. Every exchange 100% xDSL enabled is a good first demand. It should be the only and final one too though.

I'm actually pretty impressed with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I said in the original post that I was redacting page15 of CLFMP that I linked (PDF)

It explicitly states that ADSL is supposed to work at the distances I mentioned, the new bit in the CLFMP is the specification of a minimum standard for remote Cabs for the first time.

Other operators may then plan services in the knowledge that Eircom kit is supposed to work with their kit and that they have an industry agreement to help them plan.

The índustry practise (Eircoms) until now has been to chain pairgains off poles, as often as necessary.

Now there is a guarantee that the END user may not have a copper sub loop (tail) ANY longer than 1.5KM and that the device providing the sub loop must be capable of passing thru ADSL depending on the distance between the device and the exchange. That sure beats what we have been used to.

These strfeet Cabs will be rolled out on a large scale with the advent of 3G rollouts which should start in the second half of the year.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Hmm... This has to mean something good for myself and my fellow 'cut down' people :)

btw, I've finished that letter to Eircom, along with 2 covering letters, and I'm posting it tomorrow ^_^

I have a feeling that there may be a good result here...

Edit: Looks like I finally get to "Break Free" ::Plays the Queen song of the same name:: I'm gonna break free... I'm gonna break free...

(In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit nutty, hehe :D)

Advertisement