Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd XP internet connection problem

• 06-01-2003 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

PC1 and PC2 on a LAN, both going through a Cisco 827 ADSL router.

Both WinXP, 1 is working fine online, 2 isn't. Both computers seem to work fine on the LAN - I can see either computer from the other, transfer files, etc etc. PC2 can ping outside, but can't resolve. DNS settings seem to be ok (eircom), all network settings bar the computer's own IP are exactly the same as on PC1. If I try to telnet to the router from PC2, it gives me the error "Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23. An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket". This works fine on PC1.

I've gone through everything I can think of, has anyone any ideas?

I stuck this on the MS board as well as it seems to me like it could be an OS problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

All I do know, is that my win2k machine at home stopped resolving ips, no matter what dial up connection I used. I reinstalled service pack 3, and that sorted it. Perhaps reinstall xp service pack 1?

Advertisement