Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd XP internet connection problem

Options
  • 06-01-2003 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

PC1 and PC2 on a LAN, both going through a Cisco 827 ADSL router.

Both WinXP, 1 is working fine online, 2 isn't. Both computers seem to work fine on the LAN - I can see either computer from the other, transfer files, etc etc. PC2 can ping outside, but can't resolve. DNS settings seem to be ok (eircom), all network settings bar the computer's own IP are exactly the same as on PC1. If I try to telnet to the router from PC2, it gives me the error "Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23. An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket". This works fine on PC1.

I've gone through everything I can think of, has anyone any ideas?

Also spammed on Tech board.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Nothing Suprises me with XP anymore.

I have had it now for bout a year and i find it useless. This OS is so friendly that it deleted my Modem Drivers, Display driver, changed internet functions. Cd-rom aint work right. (will not read any burned cd).

Even normal cd's have problems reading them.

In other words my PC is ruined(all cause my father thought be fun to mess with my computer).

Well Im not to sure how to fix it. Im fixing mine by getting a new HD with an OS that I like. Throwing the other one away

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Go to the CMD prompt and type nslookup.
    Then try resolving some names from there.
    Post the responses you get in here.
    Also check the proxy settings in IE aren't set to use a proxy that doesn't exist.
    Also make sure that the XP firewall is disabled on both machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Why are you getting a new PC. Why don't you just format and reinstall and this time password out your father from ****ing up the PC.

It's not Windows XP's fault that one of it's users screwed it up!

good reply but I am afraid he screwed it up by installing an illegal copy of it onto my computer. The Product codes are missing and everything. Did I mention it wont make a start up disk so I can format aswell(he messed up big time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Runfree
    good reply but I am afraid he screwed it up by installing an illegal copy of it onto my computer. The Product codes are missing and everything. Did I mention it wont make a start up disk so I can format aswell(he messed up big time).

Bah, any boot disk would do. Like from www.bootdisk.com for example. Or a Windows 98 startup disk. Or any old startup disc. Or any bootable windows CD.

I thought you said you were one badass1337 dude? Back to windows school for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sorry, should have posted up last night, I just reinstalled Windows and it's now working fine. The machine started going weird in other ways after a while so I guessed it was just a corrupt installation. Thanks anyway for the responses.

Runfree, there's something very very wrong with your computer. I've never had problems like that with any OS, especially not with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

sisco,

try reinstalling TCP/IP first, just use:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt on the CLI

the netshell in 2K and XP is powerfull medicine!

Thanks guys for the advise.

My plan:

Get a new PC.

or even better

Burn old HD and get new one with OS on it

• Advertisement

Ill give ya da HD yea. thats all I am getting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    can I have the PC that is supposedly wrecked

Humpf, I should have thought of asking that (second HD just died, I need a new 30-40GB one to replace both). Free HD for Dave then from Runfree seeing as it's, erm broken?

Advertisement