Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Modem

• 06-01-2003 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

hey everyone
    right! the modem i have now is a 56k POS that came with my first PC why back when...gutted the old PC but kept the modem. now im looking to upgrade the modem ! any suggestions from past experiences and the like?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Here's a suggestion.

If the modem ain't broke, don't buy a new one.
    Just give the money to me.....
    that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Creative Labs 56k external. Never given me any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Why do you want to upgrade your modem?

Unless you feel that you would make a performance gain or need a new modem for compatibility (Linux etc) then why bother getting a new one.

There are a few places around where you can get "Hardware modems" (no software element bar a simple driver). They'd give the best performance if you upgrade, but probably at a slightly higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If it came with a PB or something PC "way back when", it's most likely a Rockwell/Connexant piece of crap tbh, and he should upgrade as soon as possible.

Using an external US Robotics here, pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

yeah it did come with a pb actually and the transfer rate is soooooo slow...would a new modem solve this problem? thanks for all the replys..keep them coming..

sure typedef..just give me your address and i send the money right over...;)

• Advertisement

Try updating the driver for it first, it will probably help but an external modem will always be better than those PB ones.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Modem+Drivers

will do..if i can find drivers for it..i dunno who even manufactures it..ill try that out and see if it works
    thanks

If yer using Windows, right click My Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Modem, should tell you the make/model of the modem.

well got the new modem today..the creative labs one..marked for 89 euro went tot he till priced at 65..not too bad..well just fired it up installed it and im sending and receiving at 4 times what i was getting witht eh old modem..which was as you guess right Pie it was a Rockwell!!
    well thanks for all the help guys
    talk to ye later

went from 12 kbps to 48 kbps with the new one by the way..is that respectible with a 56k modem? just wondering....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

went from 12 kbps to 48 kbps with the new one by the way..is that respectible with a 56k modem? just wondering....
    There are a LOT of factors that will determine your speed ... saying that though .... 48kbps is what I get and I'm happy enuf with it ...

(factors include: software drivers, modem itself, cabling/connections/number of connected phones in the house, condition of cable going to the exchange)

Advertisement