Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like to be a programmer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Typedef

Even with just year 1, I would have 2 1/2 years development experience and mixed (Windows/Linux) sysadmin with another concurrent job as a Unix sysadmin (contract) , with a former job as a Gateway tech rep, at which stage I could reasonably demand copious amounts of cash for playing tetris and looking important behind a desk.

doubleplusgood.

ya think ? Unlikely. I know several fairly relatively skilled people that spent a looong time looking for jobs. Competent programmsers with sys admin experience.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

will program for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I could reasonably demand copious amounts of cash for playing tetris and looking important behind a desk.

doubleplusgood.

Welcome to the cult of Kibu. Those days are gone. *sniffle*

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

*shrug

Hmm. I noticed that there were some 'non-programming modules'. Mostly what attracts me is http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/bsccs/ssbsc.html

Fair enough. This is the year I'm doing currently, and what I would consider the most interesting year.

http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/bsccs/jsbsc.html#CS3

http://www.cs.tcd.ie/courses/bsccs/jfbsc.html#ON1 ==> This one is acutally pertinent, Java is in demand right now... I already have SQL... even one year of this would make me very marketable * touch wood.

The programming you learn in 1st year will be of almost no use, unless you have difficulty saying "hello world" to your clients. Or constructing simple geometric shapes gives you the shivers.

Even with just year 1, I would have 2 1/2 years development experience and mixed (Windows/Linux) sysadmin with another concurrent job as a Unix sysadmin (contract) , with a former job as a Gateway tech rep, at which stage I could reasonably demand copious amounts of cash for playing tetris and looking important behind a desk.

doubleplusgood.

Keep dreaming. I have no doubt it will increase your marketability, but unfortunately no amount of degrees from trinners will bring the 1990's back. :)

I don't particularly want to dissuade you, just let you know what your in for. However you seem to be very goal oriented, so maybe it will suit you. However if you want lots of free beer and women, do the day course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The programming you learn in 1st year will be of almost no use, unless you have difficulty saying "hello world" to your clients. Or constructing simple geometric shapes gives you the shivers.

Unfortunately, one of the principal motivations is that having "Java" from Trinners would look good on ye olde cv document, the actual (content) is superflous.

For example, I have been know to write implementations of the DES encryption algorithm, but apply for a job doing C++ even the most simple C/C++ programming to 'recruitment agency (x)' and watch the droid say "Do you have a grad"?

So what do you do? Stay in db programming et-al?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Write technical articles, for Web sites and even print publications. A few well-crafted and relevant articles are worth their weight in gold and are greater proof of your ability and knowledge than any degree. Write a book on a particular subject and it’s frankly worth more than a CS degree.

You even get paid for writing these articles once you’re known ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

a lot of potential employers wont even speak to you if you don't have a degree. However good you are, you won't get the chance to prove it to them. That's the thing I'm happiest I have a degree for, I wouldn't have my current job if I didnt have it.

And I know this is unfair, and there are lots of exceptions. But it's a pretty common fact of life,

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Cian
    Keep dreaming. I have no doubt it will increase your marketability, but unfortunately no amount of degrees from trinners will bring the 1990's back. :)

I don't particularly want to dissuade you, just let you know what your in for. However you seem to be very goal oriented, so maybe it will suit you. However if you want lots of free beer and women, do the day course.
    I'm doing that evening CS degree in TCD. I have a fair few years of programming experience too.

It will suit anyone who likes working with computers at whatever level but feels the need for a bit of 'theory'.

Main disadvatage, as pointed out, you don't get the 'college' experience. At some point you may feel you have missed out in some way. The general age of students seems to be mid 20's to mid 30's.

Other point is that you will need to set aside money for fees (3,000 euros+) if your employer does not pay. This can be quite a lot if you're in an entry level job. Even so, you will have a fair bit more money in your pocket than your average day student.

Main advantage, of course, is that you combine experience with the paper qualification. This may well give you the edge over other recent graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I think a very important part of college is the people you meet while you're there. I *may* not have gotten my first 2 jobs without a degree, but I sure as *hell* wouldn't have the clients I have now without the contacts I made whilst doing it.

As for programming.. bleh, it's just one of the skills you'll need along the way. If creating software interests you, a CS degree will teach you right from wrong in a fundemental way that you will be able to apply in any IT-related project you work on.

Teeth.

Advertisement