Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd reading issue

Options
  • 07-01-2003 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi got a present of the special edition two towers soundtrack for christmas and it runs fine in a cd player however when i try to run it on the computer all i can get into is the enhanced cd mode which just has links to the website, exploring the cd and the music cannot be found nor can i detect it through wmp 9, analysing the size of the cd from my computer says it is 699 mb so all the files are there however when you explore the cd theres only a few kb of files

Where are the files and how come i can't listen to the music on my computer?

thanx data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/

Welcome to the world of tomorrow... today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

didn't have time to read through much of the site but i did find the two tower soundtrack listed in troublesome "enhanced cd" section, and the website is not sure whether the data is intentionally corrupt or just a troublesone enhanced cd, does this mean my individual copy is a problem? or will everone who owns this have this issue?

if it is the former i can just return it i presume

i wasn't aware of this i must say at all and its a bit of a kick in the teeth, i heard something about shakira have a special copy protection but thats about it, i'm not happy

thanx sceptre

Data

Chances are that you'll have the same problem with any Two Towers CD you buy. If there's a label on the case saying anything about copy protection (or mentionng "Cactus", "Midibar" or "can't play this on a computer") it might be worth trying to find one without. I'd imagine you'd be out of luck on that front though.

The record companies have been known to pull the odd copy protected release under protest - the last Natalie Imbruglia album was replaced in this way.

With regard to returning it - if it bothers you enough that you can't play it on your PC, return it. The major chains are probably getting used to people returning copy-protected CDs of this kind. Philips (who still control the CD standard even though the patent has expired) maintain that these CDs don't fall under the Red Book standard and don't qualify as CD-Audio discs (that's why quite a few of these discs don't have the usual compact disc logo).

Odd thing about the Shakira album - it plays fine on my PC. And I had no trouble doing a copy of the thing either. And it was a copy protected pressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

have to say its a lovely edition and i don't want to return it i will check for those logos,

whats that thing with the mark daveirl? i think i have heard of something about that before, why does it work?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    whats that thing with the mark daveirl? i think i have heard of something about that before, why does it work?

Have a look here for the story and here for the original picture posting how to do it. And unfortunately here for The Register letting us know about the newer protection from Midibar that takes away the hack.

Basically what they did was to put a second (corrupt) table of contents on the disc. Regular CD players didn't notice (or care) and happily played the audio on the discs without problems. PCs got confused by the second table of contents and refused to play. Some car audio players (many of which use mp3 technology) and DVD players also refused to play the discs. iMacs just crashed, leaving the disc in the CD drive & requiring a trip to the local Apple dealer to get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

the problem was the manufacturers assumed that anyone trying to play a CD in a PC is going to make illegal copies of it.

Wasn't there something about them not being allowed ot use the CD symbol because it wasn't technically the definition of a CD?

anyway, the Celine Dion CD that crashed the imac and caused a ton of damage (so he *did* get it to play then :) !) won in court when the punter tried to sue. The judge agreed that he was most likely up to no good. Poor b*stard probably played computer games too. It's a wonder they didn't jail him for the possibility of going on a killing spree with a carbine.

yeah i heard something mentioned that technically they were not cd's also, possibley due to inferior audio quality. what about ones legal right to a back up?

You don't have a legal right to a backup in Irish or UK law. In the US they have a "fair use" provision/exemption - here we do not. No CD backup, no mp3 backup, no making a copy on tape to listen to in the car.

Software is a little different - you have a right to make a backup for archival purposes if the license accompanying the software says you do - it makes it a privilege more than a right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

a little work around for those cds

select the other session ;-)

What is this other session you refer too Gui Xp?

i was unaware of that we couldn't back up our stuff in this country sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by sceptre

Basically what they did was to put a second (corrupt) table of contents on the disc. Regular CD players didn't notice (or care) and happily played the audio on the discs without problems. PCs got confused by the second table of contents and refused to play. Some car audio players (many of which use mp3 technology) and DVD players also refused to play the discs. iMacs just crashed, leaving the disc in the CD drive & requiring a trip to the local Apple dealer to get it out.

Any chance something like ISOBuster could read it so?
    That uses STPI commands to read the CD at the hardware level and can list the contents from the data gleaned from several sources on the disc
    Afaik it can rip out stuff with a mpeg header so I'd assume it can rip RedBook audio too

i would settle for being able to rip the music to the hard drive, if anyone is familiar with how to do this please let me know? would that isobuster allow that?

Advertisement