Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Song of Ice and Fire

Options
  • 07-01-2003 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Im posting this to get an idea of how large the books fanbase is, if any at all.
    Its by George R.R.Martin for the unintiated :) and bejaysus the man can write. The series (3 books out now, 3 more on the way to finish it) is set in a medieval style with extremely well written characters (Tyrion Lannister and Jon Snow spring to mind). I personally consider it on a par (if not above ) LOTR.
    It should be noted that I bought the books solely on the interest provoked from 3 lines in a thread I started before asking for some books, so I urge others to buy these! :)
    So, whats your opinions on the books? Im personally in love with them and I have to admit I had to sit down for 20 minutes after reading a chapter Im in now in Book 3 Part 2 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Love it! think its an absolute master piece.
    Just finished reading all the books that are out at the moment for a second time because i was getting so frustrated at 'A Feast for Crows' being delayed and delayed and delayed...

I'm certainly of the same opinion as you regarding it to being on par or even above LOTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wouldn't put it on a par with LOTR but it is as good as any others I have read, certainly as good, if not better than Feist at his best way back in the Magician days. Characters are well written and he is not afraid to let any main characters be hacked up, well paced and suitably dark. Loev the series, roll on "A feast for crows"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I like it.

I'm still a bit annoyed that Martin missed his self-imposed Christmas deadline for book 4, but I guess I can live with the author taking time to get it right ;)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i love it :) halfway through book one only though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't read them, but I'm on the look-out for something new to read, so I think I'll pick the first one up today.

• Advertisement

allmost finished book one now (its quite big 900 pages or somthing) and it ias amazing - one of best books ive ever read - id advice anyone to pick it up, first one is called "Game of thrones"

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Really love the series. Its hard to put down. Really transports you to another world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Loved all those books, must say I enjoyed them more then LOTR but I'll reserve judgement till I've read the last three. If you have a look you can find some good forums for A Song of Fire and Ice on the interweb. Any idea on when the 4th book is coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Checked amazon and they've it down for feburary 2004 :(

Checked the website http://www.georgerrmartin.com
    and here is what he's posted
    STILL SORRY. STILL NOT DONE YET.

I continue to make progress on A FEAST FOR CROWS, but more slowly than I would like. In recognition of the fact that the book has not yet been completed or delivered, my publishers both in the US and UK have finally changed the April pubdate to something more realistic... but until such time as I actually deliver the book, any publication date is pure guesswork.

I am still writing as fast as I can. The moment the book is done I will announce it here. The instant. The second. So if you visit my website, and this notice is still in place, it means I'm still writing.

I have been receiving a great many emails from my readers since I posted the first version of this announcement, the vast majority of them telling me to take my time, that the quality of the book is what matters most to them. That is what matters most to me as well. "We will still be here when you are done," one reader says. I do appreciate that, more than I can say. I wish I could promise that the novel will be done tomorrow, but it won't be. It is a very long book, and a very complex one. I can only write one page at a time, and trust that in the end my readers will agree that A FEAST FOR CROWS was worth the wait. Meanwhile, I thank you once again for your patience.

--George R.R. Martin

sigh...

cant wait for it to come out but he's got a fair point. i'd much prefer to wait if its going to be a brilliant as all of them so far.
    still wish it was out tomorrow though!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

*breathes once in 2 minutes.

Well then....*swallows

BOLLOCKS!

I know in my mind that its all for the best, and in the end it'll work out as a better book but GODDAMN! I really want that book :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

After all the bleating on here about the series I've just bought the first book.

It better be good or you all owe me €12.50.

"Better" be good? The series is sex incarnate in book form I'll have you know. Now buy the other 3 or we'll poke you relentlessly

Originally posted by DapperGent
    After all the bleating on here about the series I've just bought the first book.

It better be good or you all owe me €12.50.

hah you will love it if you have any sence...post and tell us what u think !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I have to agree, great books there. Unfortunatly for me I assumed that the series was a trilogy. So there I was reading away, wondering how he was going to tie the whole thing together in the last 50 pages. I was so frustrated at the time that it didn't end there.

Looking back though I am glad that there is another 3 on the way. Brilliantly written, I would go as far to say that they are better than LOTR

aye probly is beter than lotr...if it had of came first... you know the 3rd book has 2 parts to it ? ...em part 1 and 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I bought it in one book, that was before they decided to split it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i read the first book a couple of years ago and found it too political
    i'm not a fan of political fantasy books where not much happens except character A is trying to outdo character B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

a really excellent series so far, can't wait for feast of crows. Martin puts most fantasy writers to shame.

Originally posted by decdoc
    a really excellent series so far, can't wait for feast of crows. Martin puts most fantasy writers to shame.

specially Tom Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well, i've been away for ages, just to find the same topics being discussed :)

lol, we're all still waiting for the book...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20152

I adore this series btw, and dammit, i had to wait for the 3rd book, so yee can all stop bitching about waiting for the 4th! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Tusky
    specially Tom Jones

Jesus tusky you're a funny bastard. Getting a lot of strange looks in the office after bursting out laughing for apparently no reason thanks. :)

hehe why thank you :) I try...I try

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'm now about halfway through the fourth book.

So if they were crap you people would owe me roughly €50 or a quarter of a gamecube plus Zelda as I am currently reckoning money.

Seeing as it's the best fantasy I've read since The Lord of the Rings, surpassing Jordan even when he could still remember how to write, I should be paying you people.

My thanks.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    I'm now about halfway through the fourth book.

So if they were crap you people would owe me roughly €50 or a quarter of a gamecube plus Zelda as I am currently reckoning money.

Seeing as it's the best fantasy I've read since The Lord of the Rings, surpassing Jordan even when he could still remember how to write, I should be paying you people.

My thanks.

Were I of the "I Told You So" mind, this would be a very good chance indeed to gloat manically (and possibly slap you around the place with a goat)

Nonetheless I'll just content myself with pointing out to others that if you don't own the book already, BUY IT.

...told you so tbh

Advertisement