Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Dark

Options
  • 30-06-2000 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Anyone got an N64 and went out and bought this follow up to the greatest game of all time tongue.gif

its quite good smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I saw that on Bits
    Looks lovely which I had the machine to play it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

This game, Goldeneye, Zelda 64 and Jet Force Gemini are worth the price of the N64 alone.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Played it a good while back , thought it was cool , not that 'new' , but cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

Gah, its not a follow up to Goldeneye!!!!! Its a completely different game!

Jamie www.irishplayer.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

but has anyone actually got it yet?

• Advertisement

Well , as far as i'm concerned , its goldeneye with bells on. I quite liked that too , but ppl like koopa hated it cos of the controls , i can agree with him there, but it plays well none the less.
    Perfect dark is no revolution , but it'll sell in bucketloads seeing as the N64 gets so few useful games.
    Goldeneye is still in its top 10 after christ knows how long, not because its that good , but because its the only good one.

I've played and rated it. You can check it out at....
    http://www.game-ireland.com/nintendoreviews/perfectdark.html

As for the game not being a follow-up to Goldeneye Jamie, it is.

The only reason it wasn't called Tomorrow Never Dies and James Bond isn't in it is because EA nabbed the Bond license off Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

ahhhh

ive a mate who bought an n64 with goldeneye and zelda the other day... if theyre selling them packaged with the console now as opposed to the usual crappy games then its worth buying...
    then again, i still strongly believe that DC is worth buying soley for Soul Calibur (although there are already lots of other good reasons to buy it smile.gif)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Is it different enough from Golden Eye to warrant a purchase. I don't feel like dishing out £60 only to be bored of the game in a week and if it is exactly like Golden Eye thats what will happen.

Anyone actually got it and give it a good auld run or wot???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'd say the N64 is worth buying for its back-catalogue of top-notch games e.g. Zelda, F-Zero X, 1080 Snowboarding, WWF (insert name here), Pilotwings 64, any Rare games and Mario 64 if you can see beyond the cutesiness.
    The DC doesn't have any killer ap games if you ask me, except maybe Resi CV, but it's worth getting for the upcoming games such as Quake 3, Half-Life and Shenmue.

Emm.. that's totally OT, but anyway... smile.gif

hahahah, got a go of shenmue there a while back on import.
    Have to say , was well unimpressed , heard all about the "go anywhere , do anything, talk to anyone"
    It ends up being about as much like that as half life is , if you dont talk to the right ppl , they have zero interest in talking to you. The linearity the game runs on is similarily boring. Its far from new, looked cool back when it was being developed , but now it looks bland , like hundreds of characters that all look like they came from dead or alive.

I didn't play it for very long but i had a go from the start and then the guy who owned it showed me a saved point onwards , he wasn't overly happy either.
    I'm actually probably going to buy a DC sooner or later , only because of RE:code veronica. Bleemcast, hahhaha , yes Mr. Dreamcast , you are for the hardcore gamer, hahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Right heres another question for ye people who have played the game.
    I've read those reviews and WOW it looks great but it seems to me that the only way you'll get the most from the game is shelling out for the memory expansion pack (£40?)

So all in all I'd be paying around £100 for a computer game, is it still worth the purchase even at this price?? I'm broke btw smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Yea i have it and i must say that it aint what everyone cracked it up to be.

There's not as much a feeling of stealth in it as there was in goldeneye.

Plot is sorta confusing at times, it feels like the levels are randomly set, no continuity to them.

Some weapons just look bland. (falcon for instance...)

It does have some interesting points in it tho, like sidekicks and stuff.

Like bugs said, it's goldeneye with bells on.

You can only play 35% of the game (multiplayer, and not all of that neither) with an expansion pak. You should shop around to fid the best price, i saw one for £30 somewhere, cant remember tho frown.gif

But then again this is just me, and i've only been playing games for the last 10 or so years wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 09-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

There was a lot of people looking forward to Perfect Dark for the Christmas of '98. Some of us will just love it because we have wanted it for so long. I do not know about you lads but I am gagging to see some of those single player missions. I only beat Goldeneye a few weeks ago and I have had it since I got my Nintendo in september '97. Those of you that have enough pads and friends will testify how excellent the mulitplayer was and I managed to get some great games going. Perfect Darks multiplayer looks really really great : Co op , counter op (which although appearently crap , could still be worth a laugh), king of the hill , teams etc etc. They even threw in bots. I can not understand how the multiplayer could be crap.
    Ultimately , in spite of how good it looks , it can not please all of us. But if you pass up the chance to use Robocops gun...you can not call yourself a fan of action games wink.gif

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

You can pick up a copy of the game and an expansion Pak for £65 in GAME Blanchardstown.

The actual game costs £55 and the Expansion Pak by XP2 would normally be £15 but you get a fiver off for buying it with Perfect Dark.

While the XP2 Pak isn't the official Nintendo one, it's just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

I think you can get the unofficial expansion packs in Gamesworld Liffey Street for around £20. Worth a look if you can get in there.

Jamie www.irishplayer.com

i dunno, i dont trust 3rd party products

Is that the GAME store mentioned in the sunday world a few weeks back that forced yis to take a bag?

Mmmm expansion packs, i honestly can't say i like the idea, bought one for star wars racer and the difference was really un-noticeable.
    Recently picked up castlevania:legacy of darkness for 25 quid , which is strange cos its brand new, irregardless , you can't play it on hi-rez or the slowdown is just silly.
    I've seen this on quite a few games now , perhaps its the PAL standard , but the slowdown is insane in some games.
    Turok 2 , uuuggghh ( its crap enough without slowing it down )

• Advertisement
Advertisement