Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast cracked

Options
  • 26-06-2000 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭

Well, you've probably heard about it by now, but the Dreamcast has officially been cracked - you can download a disc-swapping program which will let you play import and pirate DC games on any territory console. The ISOs of a few games are already available, including Dead Or Alive 2, Soul Calibur and Power Stone (the ISO of DOA2 is 300mb) which can be burned onto a CD (apparently only SCSI writers work) and played on the DC using the disc-swapper.

Not a good thing to happen when Sega are considering packing in the whole hardware thing methinks...
    http://www.nav.to/thunderz for other details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Nah, had to happen. And it'll further cripple a dying machine. Does give ppl who own one the option of getting alot of games before it goes under i suppose tho. I'll buy one when it gets **** cheap .... shouldnt have to wait to long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

That disc-cracking thingy is very suspect, and only proven to work on a few games.

What is less suspect is the fact that the cheats CD on the current DC-UK accidentally removes region checking from your DC, allowing you to play import games smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

/me heads to the Newsagents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

I heard they actually had to recall the magazine. Sega were well ****ed about it.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

DC-UK was ages ago wasnt it , well i heard of it ages ago.
    As far as the cracked games go , finally found out about it.
    The only game that has actually been distributed is dead or alive 2 and heres the story on it:
    According to ppl who've used it , it loads fine , but..... the speech was degraded and now its quite a bit out of synch with the characters, the sound is tinny and mono, the game crashes quite a bit, especially at parts where it loads alot ( i dont know , i dont own a DC ) , basically ppl were unimpressed. It probably wont take off as its seemingly **** hard to do which means joe soap can't do it without some serious hardware and knowledge. Console ppl probably wont take kindly to games with ripped movies and **** music , i know i wouldnt , i'd rather pay. And theres no way you can play any of these ripped games online , something to do with the now missing protected track that you would run on the boot CD to get the game running in the first place.

It does further show that nothing is impossible to crack and theres always someone out there with the time and money to pirate something so they can make alot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Ok so I have the CD (newsagent is a friend of mine , he held onto one for me biggrin.gif) and I was just wondering will this CD do any damage to my DC?? I mean , it has to do something to it to allow me to play import games. Does removing the region checking do anything else? Any of you cats know?

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

Yes , it sends a mail to bill gates everytime you use it with an attached picture of jenna jameson...... or it might just not have any problems at all cos its just a protected track from the GD-roms.
    Get a mod chip, errr , actually dont.

ok, here's how to use that CD.

The cheats bit on it has an option to "Play Game". If you follow the instructions there, you'll find that the DC doesn't check the region coding on the game disc, since it's already satisfied with the region coding on the cheat disc.

Think of it as a really simple and easy version of the old Playstation disc-swap trick.

didnt i just say that ?
    albeit in a way no one probably caught/read smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

Taking into consideration that the Dreamcast uses an OS based on Windows CE, Im sure a better version of a bleem for dreamcast will come out in short order

Jamie www.irishplayer.com

• Advertisement

Err.

If you mean, bleem is coming out for the Dreamcast, then yes, it is.

If, however, you mean that a DC emulator could be done easily... then no, it couldn't.

The DC *can* use WinCE - as in, a version of WinCE exists for it, which is part of the dev kit given to DC developers. However, to the best of my knowledge only two games have used it, namely Resident Evil 2 and Sega Rally 2 - when you load up Soul Calibur or Crazy Taxi or whatever, there is not a single line of WinCE code on that system, from boot right through to shutdown.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I've a PC Dreamcast emulator somewhere - no ROMs tho, so I haven't tried it out. Got two copies of that DC-UK disc as soon as I heard about it from my regular newsgroup smile.gif They're apparently selling like hot cakes with tenners stuffed into them in the UK.

Heh ,
    DC emu , it doesn't exist!
    So many ppl have this emu and are "waiting" for games .....wake up , if it was a real thing , then don't you think the net would be flooded with ripped cd's!
    I'm guessing the emu in question is nitemare , ... a hoax made by a guy to show up all the roms beggers , he made some dodgy pics of his computer running it , and if you open it in adobe photoshop you can see the paste job soo easy smile.gif

DC emu is a long way away, sorta like i guy i met in town whose convinced that if the DC can emulate the ps using bleemcast then it wont be long before it emulates ps2 games as well, at this point i assessed the chap as "not too intelligent" and walked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I hear that that all current DC emus are fake and that the only way one might be possible is one that uses your DVD drive to read the discs.

I just got here, how could I have sent out the them half cooken MCchicken sanwitches

Ok , this might not be a good analagy seeing as emulation is not particularily down to clock speed , but anyway.
    The snes is a 7MHz machine ( 16 if you add the sound and gfx like they did )
    It takes a good 300+ MHz Pc to run some of the games smoothly and even higher if possible.
    The N64 was 33MHz, i think , and for some of the emu's you're talking 600 to 800 to play nicely.
    DC is what , about 200MHz. Granted if someone could emulate the processes it provides to almost 100% then you could do it no problem with a 500 Mhz machine , but that aint going to happen any time soon.

You'd need an SGI to run it if it did exist as is, and emulation of the more recent machines is dodgy at best , i really dont like N64 emu , its annoying , the emulation itself is far from nice. And i prefere to play console games on a TV with the right pad.

Advertisement