Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shell account

Options
  • 07-01-2003 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right board but anyway, here it goes :

I wanna set up a shell account. I.e. an account on someone elses pc, with unix/linux whatever, with decent number of logins, decent bandwidth limit, etc. etc. Basically I want something decent. I havent a clue where to start, and know very little about unix/linux. I was wondering if anyone could offer me somewhere I could start looking? Also if it could be a reasonable price, well that would be good too.

Summary : I want something reasonably cheap, reasonably user friendly, and reasonably decent...something reasonable...

Any help much appreciated,

Ivan

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Are you in college or a graduate of a college? ie are you entitlied to join a college computer society that would have Unix/Linux machines for you to login to?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

http://www.leftfoot.com/freeshells.html

basically, you're not going to get a fully functional shell acc online without paying. but you might be better off joining redbrick if by chance you are in dcu?

or grab some old bits & pieces and get a knowledgeable mate to build a linbox for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I could build a box myself, I've done it a few times...but I have no perma net connection, so its pointless. I have no problems paying for a shell connection, I just want something thats decent. I was hoping maybe people here would have some experience with shopping around for shell accounts and could give me some tips or point me in the right direction.

Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ukshells are very good but a bit expensive. What is it exactly that you want from the shell?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Kieran, get a box setup in Carlow IT tbh :)
    Tell em you want ports 80, 22 and 6667 open for the meantime.

Sorted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Kieran, get a box setup in Carlow IT tbh :)
    Tell em you want ports 80, 22 and 6667 open for the meantime.

Sorted.

I wish it were that simple. Its extremely difficult to get a box put on the carlow network, if not impossible. Not to mention even being given outside access to it. Besides, for the types of things I'm looking for a shell account for, this would be completely useless.

What I'm looking for from a shell :

About 5 simultaneous logins, at least.
    Unlimited bandwidth
    At least a GB of hard disk space.

after these I dont really care, only to not have to pay through the roof. A friend of mine has a shell on a box in the US and he's paying about 30 euro a month for these. Is this rather good, or is this normal? I thought it sounded rather excellent, and so far will probably end up with these guys. But figured I should shop around first.

Thanks for the help guys,

Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yes i rember in carlow in the admin room with my list of requests ..

and lets see out of 9 requests we got answered no to 8 of them

the it staff there are nice lads but they cannot give access without asking permission from the head guy who is a toss

gl ivan

Yes I completely agree...He is a toss. And they are completely unable to help out. Yet the networking department got access to their own box on their network. And for some reason the business department has access to all whole load of brand new P4's with removable Hdds, and only the business department. Sucks, but what can you do about it.

Ivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

be wary of ppl who give you shell accounts , they mightn't be the real mc coy...

im getting one any day now for free, if and when i get it i'll post you the url, they are paying for it out of their own pockets ..

nice ppl eh?

Ivan - Forget 30 euro a month for a shell in America. Get one off UKShells, I know two people who have used them and said they're great. 85 sterling a year they start off at.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    Ivan - Forget 30 euro a month for a shell in America. Get one off UKShells, I know two people who have used them and said they're great. 85 sterling a year they start off at.

Thats great and all, but have you got a url?
    I guess I'll try ukshells.co.uk...

Ivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

www.saqnet.org.uk are good for free shells

ukshells.com actually.

Originally posted by eth0_
    ukshells.com actually.

Its both actually ;P

Very nice, but what option would you recommend, this is the exact type of info I was looking for. I've no experience with this type of thing and wouldnt even know if I was being ripped off.

Thanks,

Ivan

Advertisement