Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self-Defense Forum

• 07-01-2003 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Im into self defense quite a bit(don't take any classes)

But I think it might be intresting If we perhaps had a self-defense forum for people to post on. This forum would include discussions on where to get classes for this(karate, judo, jui-jitsu), basic moves and expierences.

Just a thought though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

difficult to know if there would be enough interest to support a completely independent board, but it would certainly interest me.

maybe as a sub-board of fitness??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, im already talking to someone who is the technical director of the JKA shotokan karate association about setting up a forum here for world wide use.

probably not the same sort of thing that you are looking at, but there you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I dunno its not like the sport forum is overwhelmed with enough self defense topics to give it its' own board

Although I do taekwondo and I know its pretty big in ireland, a discussion forum would get more ppl talking about it and maybe more people involved which would be a good thing.
    Good suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Chang Hun Tae Kwon Do as founded by General Choi Hong Hi is teh win.

chopsticks up, planning to try Judo as soon as I convince myself my knee will take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Rolo Tomasi
    difficult to know if there would be enough interest to support a completely independent board, but it would certainly interest me.

maybe as a sub-board of fitness??

That is what i was thinking of aswell. But hopefully there is quite a bit of intrest in this.

Cmon people what ya think???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are you trying to find something to be mod of? :rolleyes:

I vote to rename Fitness to Fitness and Self-Defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

All fine and well for discussing Where to take classes etc, but when it comes to explaining moves etc. Big no no.

You need someone who is a trained instructor to teach you this, ever tried reading a martial arts book, I did once and it was rubbish, because you never really know if you have performed the move the way it should be.

+ people could be prone to Injuring any Brother or Sister they may have in an attempt to learn Self Defence from Boards.ie.

I dont think Dev would quite fancy such a predicament, whereby an angry mother/Father might be banging on their door :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Are you trying to find something to be mod of?

Id go for that option. Tae-Bo....mix of both *

*...note, i do not acknowledge Tae_Bo

Originally posted by koneko
    Are you trying to find something to be mod of? :rolleyes:

No im not trying to be a Mod of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

so the only reason people suggest new forums is because they want to be mod, ok koneko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

It would be quite popular, ive seen people discussing this on after hours and other inappropiate places.

A dedicated forum would be well-used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'm up for it
    up with kickboxing tbh

Well Dev,

Can we have a Self Defense Forum???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I was thinking of taking up 'neko keeki' as a self defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Repli
    so the only reason people suggest new forums is because they want to be mod, ok koneko

I said that where? I was referring to Runfree's reputation

Chill pill....

Chill pill....

That was then though koneko. I am getting into the boards now and just enjoying conversations. Don't need to be a mod now anyways.

Ahh well your free to post ure opinion so I'm not going to sulk about it. :)

Chill pill....

kittencake mod?

anyway, i agree to this forum, and i also think i should be mod to solve all bickering.
    after all, im very mature....

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    kittencake mod?

anyway, i agree to this forum, and i also think i should be mod to solve all bickering.
    after all, im very mature....

Well WWMan,

I have no probs with u being mod of this forum. You sound respectable enough to me to control a forum aslong as we can have jokes between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Fitness should stay as Fitness.

It is enough to merge cardio and weights. I don't mind the odd thread on martial arts etc., as we have had, but I'd rather some other mod dealt with posts regarding "How to become a ninja!?1!" and "Could Bruce Lee kill spiderman?"

A self defence board ... I'd be interested if it was well modded by somebody competent with experience. Otherwise it is just gonna be mostly blabber.

JAK.

Originally posted by Jak

"Could Bruce Lee kill spiderman?"

spiderman would own bruce lee.
    bruce would do 20ft high back flips over black clad ninjas, but the spider man could tangle his ass!
    Originally posted by Jak
    A self defence board ... I'd be interested if it was well modded by somebody competent with experience. Otherwise it is just gonna be mostly blabber.

hey, ive got a green belt in shotokan you know!
    and my ma is a third dan black belt!
    and i used to rock at IK+ on my amstrad 6128!

and sure, arent all these forums mostly blabber anyway?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Runfree
    [B

I have no probs with u being mod of this forum. [/B]

sorted so.

You sound respectable enough to me

hmm, i must be doing something wrong...

aslong as we can have jokes between us.

im sorry, but i dont know you well enough and you have never bought me any drink. i dont have a sense of humour anyway....

spiderman would own bruce lee.

Who cares... batman owns them both... and batgirl owns batman.

Isn't that right batman

*hawhawhawhaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Isn't u a mod of the "Upside down" board, just like r is a mod of the "Regional" boards?

p.s. Can I have access to the upside down board please u, I've been waiting ages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by daveirl

Arrrgghhh why do you keep using u and ure. It's not a goddamn text message!

It's a message.....and it's done in text form rather than in picture form. How is this not a text message ?

BTW Iceman would freeze Spidey, Bruce AND Batman's a$$es - put them on ice (and other random cold referenced clichés)

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    It's a message.....and it's done in text form rather than in picture form. How is this not a text message ?

BTW Iceman would freeze Spidey, Bruce AND Batman's a$$es - put them on ice (and other random cold referenced clichés)

haha good reply.

ok I will type out proper messages from now. I do not want to confuse you. :)

haha good reply.

ok I will type out proper messages from now. I do not want to confuse you. :)

who said he was confused, he just said it was annoying. and i tend to agree.

i would like to see Iceman take on the might of superman. anyway, bruce lee would kick Icemans butt any day...

who said he was confused, he just said it was annoying. and i tend to agree.

i would like to see Iceman take on the might of superman. anyway, bruce lee would kick Icemans butt any day...

Thats Fair enough(got to read these posts better)

I suppose it can be annoying alright. Just so used to it with sedning all the e-mails to friends and stuff. My apologies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

couldn't be arsed with all that oriental mumbo jumbo stuff, if i really want to defend myself i'll buy one of these

Seats 5 adults comfortably and is perfect for all your self and home defense needs

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    couldn't be arsed with all that oriental mumbo jumbo stuff, if i really want to defend myself i'll buy one of these

Seats 5 adults comfortably and is perfect for all your self and home defense needs

Oh my god got to get myself one of them.

Boom.... there goes to the neighbours dog(now don't **** on my lawn again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog

My life is now complete. I wonder what the tax and insurance is like on one of those babies.

Speed Cam cop, you're for it now..:D :D

Ohh, yeah, I heartily endorse this product and/or service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I thought Iceman was the tosser in Top Gun? I'm confused

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by amp
    I'm confused

surely you are comfortable with this state by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Self Defence community forum created under Public.

Let's see how it goes...

John.
    --

Cloud for President...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cloud
    Self Defence community forum created under Public.

Let's see how it goes...

John.
    --

Thank you Cloud.

Advertisement