Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 086 text messages

Options
  • 07-01-2003 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I have been told that this works fine

go to Messages -> options -> message centre number ->press select -> the number should be 086-800200 change it to 086800200*

and save and you will have free text messages for how long I dont know but its qanother hole in the O2 network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

nokia phones wont recognise a message center number that has an asterix in it. so cant be sure if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by the Guru
    I have been told that this works fine

go to Messages -> options -> message centre number ->press select -> the number should be 086-800200 change it to 086800200*

Did you even try this before posting? It doesn't work, ya gobsh|te :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

it works some nokia phones namely the Matrix phone not sure what it is called and I got it from a excellent source and I dont use 086 so no I didnt try it so before called me a goshi*-e I was trying to do you a favour ****

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

It doesn't work. I tried it on a palmpilot, which allows me to specify any number I want. It's not sent, the error message being because of an incorrect smsc number.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

it works some nokia phones namely the Matrix phone not sure what it is called and I got it from a excellent source and I dont use 086 so no I didnt try it so before called me a goshi*-e I was trying to do you a favour ****

Tried it on a 7110 'matrixy phone' and it wont allow the number be saved with an * in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They usually find out about that sort of thing then take it off ya sometime in future
    2 years back I found out about a 'free centre number' used it loads, 2 weeks later when I topped up with a 20quid card I got 8quid ish credit, rang them up, they told me it was because I wasn't charged for sending 'free' messages!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

OK so my source must have lied to me he had no reason as i am 087 but sorry for wasing all of your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Well this thread was a massive waste of time, can one of the mods bin this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Why not just ignore the topic instead of posting crap like "what a waste of time"? The guy was just trying to do us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Matrix phone is Nokia 7110

Allegedly one thing which used to work was that if you got the message centre number from another network abroad that you could use this message centre number and send texts for free. Don't know if this works anyomore. Presumably it was only certain message centres which would allow users from other networks to access their message centres. I'll see if I can source some numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

one of my friends is getting 'free' text's (well he was on sat+sun)
    he had 20c credit and send a good few when we were out, he said he changed his msg centre number, and wasn't being charged

I'll see if I can get the number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ballooba

Matrix phone was the 8110i, not the 7110 (look at the screen!). Everyone just assumed it was the 7110 (and Nokia never said it wasn't). Never released here and all that.

I'm being completely OT of course (sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I tried with service center number as both +35386800200* and +353868002000* on my T68i.
    It worked both times, but it cost money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Why not just ignore the topic instead of posting crap like "what a waste of time"? The guy was just trying to do us all a favour.

Do you for one minute believe that you can send free messages through the 086 network and 02 will not discover it and bill you at a later stage? Rubbish should be binned!

Its comforting to know that there are still some gullible people left in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

while getting FREE anything on a network is virtually impossible unless its a commerical offer. You can however get access to some of the auxilary aspects of most providers. 086 having one of the more extensive ones.
    i.e. You can bypass much traffic on the network by changing your message centre and one or two little things ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

FYI: The free text messages DID work for a couple of days if you took out the last 0 of 0868002000 and replaced it with *. It doesn't work anymore, it stopped today what a surprise. It didn't work on newer Nokias and it didn't initially work on my 6210 either as it wouldn't accept the * as a valid number however all you had to do was put your SIM into a phone that did work 8210 for eg. and store the MCN with the * and put it back in your phone. And no they didn't take credit for the sent messages during the whole thing.

Originally posted by ballooba

Allegedly one thing which used to work was that if you got the message centre number from another network abroad that you could use this message centre number and send texts for free. Don't know if this works anyomore. Presumably it was only certain message centres which would allow users from other networks to access their message centres. I'll see if I can source some numbers.

Common mistake about that phone being the Matrix one, like sceptre said. That thing your talking about ballooba also did work using free MCN's on one of the networks, can't remember if it was on esat or eircell at the time but it didn't work on one as their system was set up to charge you immediatly for any message sent where the other only charged if you went through their MC. Both have blocked it now though, this was years ago like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Free SMS Tip
    1st Way:
    1. turn our phone off.
    2. turn it on and enter your pin.
    3. enter *#746025625# 4. now "SIM CLOCK STOP ALLOWED" will be displayed.
    now you can send sms for free. if you turn your phone off and later on you have to reenter this code!!!
    In some Networks it doesn't work!!!
    2nd Way:
    Set Menu 4-3-3 on Usergroup 666 (work with German Networks). It's now the group 999, but it's not tested yet.

Am this work on o2 networks? prob not but I don't know what they mean set Menu 4-3-3 on Usergroup 666?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement