Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on the XDA

• 07-01-2003 4:18pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I take it a number of people here have bought it, so plain and simple.
    Honestly what do you think??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

I have an xda since September. I think it was a good idea, but i don't think that o2 has supported it well (brought out the services that could make it into a great device) and probably the main problem is the operating system (Microsoft Pocket Pc Phone Edition). There just appears to be no support whatsoever from microsoft, (bug fixes, upgrades, new features) they just don't seem to be intrested. The main thing that people need to remember is that it's a pda first and has the addition of having phone features, whereas a lot of ppl think of it as a phone primarily. My advice would be to purchase a sonyericsson P800 when they are released if the phone is more of a priority, or if you want a pda with internet and email capabilities, wait for the new series of ipaqs(but i would worry about this as it will still be running the same operating system as the xda).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I went to buy one about a month ago but they had none in stock! The guy in the shop said he would order one but I went back a week later and still nothing, which was fortunate because I had done a bit more research in that time and decided to wait for vodafone to bring out the jornada 928, see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71400

O2 are rumoured to have warehouses full of these things,

The XDA is an OK product, in a couple of years time once HTC and Microsoft have learnt a by the initial mistakes it will beget an excellent product, but the problem O2 has is quantity. The most successful PDA in Europe is the Nokia 9210; this sold 53,000 units in a quarter. Handspring is rumoured to have sold fewer than 20,000 treo's in Europe. For the XDA, O2 only has the UK and a minor presence in Germany and the Netherlands. A sensible number of units to buy would be 15,000. A wildly optimistic number would be 30,000. No, O2 is suspected to have bought 100,000. We've seen the first £100 price cut, expect more.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/27570.html

well if you dont put them in your feckin shops were people can buy them what do you expect. If one had been there I would have bought it - but thanks O2 for giving me time to rethink that and probably decide to go with the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

I don't think the jornado will end up getting released because of the HP Compaq merger. Im almost positive all future jornado projects have been canned, they will focus on the IPAQ series.

they will focus on the IPAQ series

so is there an IPAQ equivalent of the Jornada 928? Will we ever see it on sale here from O2 or vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by pork99
    so is there an IPAQ equivalent of the Jornada 928? Will we ever see it on sale here from O2 or vodafone?

the iPAQ 5000 series is expected to have a GSM/GPRS unit announced soon, the 5450 (integrated WiFi and Bluetooth) began shiping in volume just before the new year

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I think I'll wait for the XDA to drop like a bomb in price and I'll patch the hell out of it en stuff.

Next up want loads of memory for it, was lookign at the
    IBM 1GB Microdrive it looks interesting.
    But will it work with the XDA?

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the iPAQ 5000 series is expected to have a GSM/GPRS unit announced soon, the 5450 (integrated WiFi and Bluetooth) began shiping in volume just before the new year

BrianG

Thanks for that - I'll keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Well I think I'll wait for the XDA to drop like a bomb in price and I'll patch the hell out of it en stuff.

Next up want loads of memory for it, was lookign at the
    IBM 1GB Microdrive it looks interesting.
    But will it work with the XDA?

The XDA hasn't had any expansion jackets released for it - so no way of attaching a CF accessory (memory or I/O device) so far. An other problem is the XDA is battery life - and a MicroDrive is notkind to PDA batteries (compared to solid state memory) - so you would be over taxing a pretty taxed battery with a MicroDrive :(

The best alternative for increasing memory would be SD cards, they are coming down in price - latest offer I saw (in the US) was a 256MB SD Card for around $75 after rebates - the 512MB is still too high but once they release the 1GB+ SD cards the 512MB price-point will drop lower.

HTH,
    Brian G

Advertisement