Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boycott River Island?

• 07-01-2003 4:54pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A price hike all right, only this time from sterling to euro. Got this in an email today, not too sure how true it is, though the prices are definately over the exchange rate...

>> > > F.Y.I
    >> > >
    >> > > River Island is being investigated by Consumer Affairs for
    >>overcharging
    >> > > their customers in the Republic higher prices than those in Great
    >> > Britain.
    >> > >
    >> > > Instead of simply converting the Sterling into Euro, they've been
    >>adding
    >> > > on
    >> > > a few more Euros making their clothes alot more expensive over
    >> > > here.
    >> > >
    >> > > Consumer Affairs have asked people to boycott River Island until
    >> > > the investigation is over and they have agreed to lower their
    >> > > prices.
    >> > >
    >> > > Pass this on to all your friends.
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >
    >

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I've heard of this, from this particular company.
    Still I can't get away with telling people to boycott anyone specific, however I suspect if the allegations prove to be true, a boycott will be the least of this particular company's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    A price hike all right, only this time from sterling to euro. Got this in an email today, not too sure how true it is, though the prices are definately over the exchange rate...
    1) There's nothing illegal about this behaviour. VAT and insurance are higher in this country than in Britain.
    2) the ODCA does not ask consumers to boycott businesses, especially not before they have finished their investigations.
    3) There's nothing about this on the ODCA's site

I smell bullshít...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I actually searched the site, and found nothing. (Hence the disclaimer - albeit slight!) I don't believe it could be true, mainly due to the mention of boycotting! I haven't EVER heard of them advocating one, thought it was interesting though, as my fiance pointed out the differance last week shopping.

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

a couple of friends and myself decided to investigate this and went to the clothes shops in the Blanchardstown Centre. Topman, River Island, Jack and Jones etc etc. They are all doing it and the increase can not be explained by VAT and Insurance. It's a blatant rip off pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The story was in Evening Herald a few days ago about comparing items imported from england with the same items priced in sister branches in england itself and comparing the price rises across a range of goods separately since euro came in.
    Some stores(River Island and Tesco) had blatant markup's on a few items ranging from 1% to 50% since euro came in over a year ago. Strangely some stores had the exact converison price on some items(which was good) so it defeats the VAT and insurance agrument.
    However it will interesting to see if the prices will come down when the euro actually strenthens against sterling !

I doubt it.

Heck i must dig up some receipts within the last year(especially supermarkets) and see for myself :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i work for river island and yes the price is higher in ireland, I am told it is higher because of higher logistics costs and higher VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Gawd their stuff is dear enough already in Derry - would hate to see what one of their shops on this side of the border is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

forget shipping if they ship from warehouses in the uk chances are they are being shafted but royal mail or whoever they use.Still say it stinks though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

just taught you would be happy to know that prices in river island have been reduced by up to €5 [on ladies boots] only shoes have been reduced at the moment but all other items will follow. Except ben sherman, kickers and kangol.

Advertisement