Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

complete newbie question

• 07-01-2003 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Warhammer 4k? What is it?
    how do ya play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Hey hussey,

Warhammer 40k is a game where you buy & collect your own models.

You first of all paint you models and make sure you have a decent size army(these models don't come cheap btw). Then you read the rule book(which is pretty big) and then you can start your battle with another person.

Its quite a cool game, if ya wait untill tomorrow i'll put up some links for you with models and things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ANd the reason its 40k is that it is suposed to be set in the year 40 000 ie. the sifi feel.

Just like the Y2K bug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I don't think you really covered what he was looking for.

There are loads of different armies, you start off by picking one and collecting more and more stuff for them. To start you have to have a leader chap and two sets of bog-standard regular (infantry) and that's your army. Then, there are different rules for each army, with their own strengths and weaknesses when compared to the rules that all the armies follow for shooting and their abilities in close combat, you work out the succesfulness in shooting or close combat with dice and the armies statistics.

p.s. it really is more than the sum of it's parts and (you wouldn't have guessed by my description) is quite fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

thats an alright explanation goo. Like I said I'll see if I can get sumthing better up(got my codex in work) and see if I can get a better explenation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

it's Risk on speed

tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

it's Risk on speed
    By god hes described in 4 words!that must be a record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by SyxPak
    it's Risk on speed

*lol*

pld SyxPax :D

W40k is a turn-based strategy game set in the 41st Millenium (hence the 40k tag as mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

Whilst the game focuses heavily around the "empire of humanity" - aka 'the Imperium' - there are a whole host of other races, and even subgroups of races to chose from. Each army has its own strengths and weaknesses, and learning how to use these against the other armies is part of the fun if you want to read into it that far.

As mentioned elsewhere, you build up your armies, paint them, etc, etc. You can even customise models or "scratch-build" models too if you want to create something unique, or a character/vehicle that just isn't available.

You play the game across a table or other flat surface. Hell, I've even played on a floor or two in my time. You can place "scenery" on the table to give it some features (eg. hills, trees, buildings/ruins, etc, etc).

Each turn is split into phases for the sake of making life easy for the players. In each turn, you can move, shoot, fight hand to hand, etc.

Usually a game is played around a certain scenario, which gives objectives for each army to fight towawrds. The winner at the end of the game is the player who managed to get their scenario objectives / get the most points (depending on what the scenario entails).

I hope this makes it clearer as to what the game actually is hussey :)

Anyway, as mentioned elsewhere, the game (indeed the entire GW hobby) is more than the sum of its parts, as you can create new armies and rules yourself, and take inspiration from the various sources and stories printed.

I've been into GW since I was about 13 - I'm 23 now, and I'm not bored with it yet. There's that much out there if you start to look beyond the "standard" fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well thats the best explaination yet.

Turn based important point that one too.

Ive never played risk and now im curious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

In response to something Lemming said. i dont think its possible to get board of 40k because there are so many scenarios that can be played.

Advertisement