Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bosnich sacked

• 07-01-2003 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Inevitable, i guess - probably wont be the end of it tho-no doubt he'll take legal action against chelsea...cant help feeling sorry for the guy - he was quite talented but he has messed up so many times - i think chelsea had no choice but to sack him.. its important that football bans the use of drugs, whether they are performance enhancing or not.

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Top_Stories/0,1569,,00.html#572708

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I dont agree with sacking the bloke.

It was his job.Take away the high profile the media have given him. Take away the jealousy over the high wages profesional footballers earn.

He took drugs. It was wrong, but not as bad as say engaging in a racially motivated attack, or even asaulting another footballer in an attempt to injure them etc.

He took a recreational drug, (not performance enhancing substances) in his own time. He needed support, not a kcik in the back.

I think he should have been offered rehab, with all the support, and counscilling he needed. Along with a programe of testing to ensure he did not reoffend.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Originally posted by Xterminator
    I dont agree with sacking the bloke.

He took a recreational drug, (not performance enhancing substances) in his own time. He needed support, not a kcik in the back.

I think he should have been offered rehab, with all the support, and counscilling he needed. Along with a programe of testing to ensure he did not reoffend.

X

i agree , its obvious he has a problem. why throw him out and depress the guy even more.such a pity i always thought he was a great goalie in his day.:(

i hope he sues chelsea and runs them deeper into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I feel sorry for the guy too but he must have known this would happen if he was caught. It's terrible to see someone with plenty of talent just throwing it all away. I don't think Chelsea had a choice. I'm still grateful for his years of service to the Villa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

of course he had to be sacked , and rightly so , he's a professional athlete who would have been fully aware of the consequences of taking drugs , i have little sympathy for someone who earns 40k a week jeopardising their own career through sheer stupidity...idiot

If I was caught taking cocaine in my job I would be sacked , in fact many employment contracts specifically allow for dismissal on these grounds, why should he be any different ?

And chelsea are in a big pile of debt, now if only bogarde could be caught with a bag of ketamine ...... my season ticket might cost a £5 less next year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

The substances listed at Appendix A may not be taken or used by, or administered to players, even for medical reasons, while they are preparing for or taking part in a competition.

FIFA regulations on doping

Cocaine may not be performance enhancing but it is listed as one of these prohibited substances so bosnich was in breach of FIFA regulations - chelsea had to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

he took an illegal class A drug, the fact he is a highly paid sportsman makes it worse...

A lot of big companies have random drug testing for day to day employees these days, if they are caught with anything from herion to hash they are sacked...

its a sad fact of modern life

Im a bit anti-drugs, so I say fcuk 'em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

He was playing great for Chelsea up to the time when he got injured. But Cudicini's since proved to be a real gem, and to be fair, I would imagine they wanted Bosnich out, for financial reasons as much as anything else.

I would also imagine, though, that he has no chance of suing Chelsea, as surely it would be written into the contract (breach of which was the reason they gave for sacking him) that you can't take recreational drugs.

Some Irish kids have been sacked by English clubs for hash; unless you play for Arsenal, its the norm to be cut loose if your'e on drugs. Look at United, they seemed to have done the smart thing and got rid of Stam when they knew what was going on before it broke into the media.

And there are far more deserving people of counselling and support than highly paid footballers who can't keep their noses clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

Originally posted by Xterminator
    but not as bad as say engaging in a racially motivated attack, or even asaulting another footballer in an attempt to injure them etc.

didn't he give the nazi salute to Spurs fans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah, he did. Thats another nail in his coffin I suppose, he had it coming. He's a bit of a David James type really, although lets not get into that least we result in bans.

Dislcaimer: In comparing Mark Bosnich to David James, no racism was intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Between United and Chelsea he has used up all his second chances. I think he had to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

The man is my hero, loads of untapped talent, has played for aston villa, chelsea and Man Utd. and earned a not so small fortune along the way. Now he can take a year long break, sort his head and then return to play club football in OZ. A true legend!
    unless you play for Arsenal, its the norm to be cut loose if your'e on drugs

Yeah we're pretty liberal at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

he was class then he left villa! then watever happen i dont no but he went down hill! was my hero not now but i dont hold nething against him i just wana no Y?
    it aint fair-things like dis!

Advertisement