Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only one with claws and talons?

• 07-01-2003 9:27pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any other 'Nid players out there?

I'm beginning to think that 3 Biovores is better in the long run then 3 Zoanthropes as the Zoans are just Laz-Cannon Fodder as their range sucks and they have to have line of sight.

Anyone else found any neat tricks for the army list?

Do you play with the full (non-pussy) rules or only with the premade Nids at the front?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Yeah, create some über-mutations :)

That way you can tailor a force for pretty much anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

AH i play with most of the proper rules. I dont really make up rules but ignore a few to simplify things some times. Dont want to be called a rules lawyer!

And my high elf has a griffion has tallons/claws! ANd a beak too.
    My nice dragon has scales and he could rip you a new one ..... Muha hahhahaha .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ha you and ur poncy high elf no match for a wyvern and a tru orc warrior

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Spooky, I was talking about Tyranids in 40K :p

Any other Tyranids armies out there? Anyone want to share a 1500 point army with the rest of us? :)

DeV.

I know just pointing out that claws and tallong are not just the domain of tyrnids! Or even 40K for that matter.

And now come to think of i actually dont know any tyrnids players and i know a good few 40K players, So concider youre self unique, in a way. I did meet a girl onece that collected trynaids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I got a half decent nid army scattered about the house somewhere, old and new models, just dont know where half of it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by DeVore
    Spooky, I was talking about Tyranids in 40K :p

Any other Tyranids armies out there? Anyone want to share a 1500 point army with the rest of us? :)

DeV.

Well not Tyranids but got a UltraMarine army for ya. Must see what they are worth exactly to the last point.

Tyranids are evil though. they are just in big huge swarms and overpower the opponent(pretty cool).

I'll list my 1500 point army later though

Yeah ive often heard the nid`s discribed as the bugs in starship troopers. I have seen the secene recreated in a game where 6 or 8 heavilly armoured marines defent an out post gunning down swarms of attacking nids and i`ll tell ya it dont always go the same way it does in the movies!

Regi Im PM ìng you in a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Long gone are the days when the Tyranid invasion was only beginning, and the Genestealer Cultists laid the foundations for their impending arrival. Since then, the good old patriach-magus combo seems to have been reassimilated in the production of new and weaker versions of genestealers, who themselves have evolved from a once terrifying monstrosity to something no more then a marine without a bolter (not that thats particularly bad though).

I'd definately dig mine out again if I enjoyed their flavour, but somehow theyre just not the frothing menace they used to be. So until then, my loyalties will continue to lie with the great god Tzeentch and his multitude of many coloured allies

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    Yeah ive often heard the nid`s discribed as the bugs in starship troopers. I have seen the secene recreated in a game where 6 or 8 heavilly armoured marines defent an out post gunning down swarms of attacking nids and i`ll tell ya it dont always go the same way it does in the movies!

Regi Im PM ìng you in a bit!

Well some of the nid's do look like the bugs from starship troopers. They look quite cool though :)

• Advertisement

Skyclad, 6 weapon skillv 4 strenght and 2 attacks for a base troops ISNT scary? and with the ability to infiltrate these guys rip the absolute sh*t out of marines! They get rending claws in the price, and buy them scything talons and they will have 3 attacks, these guys will beat ANY marine (unless you get **** rolls of course) in melee, get them in close to heavy weapon squads and you will have the time of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

maybe a slight bit off topic but i was interrested in picking up the game again and used to play with tyranids before and willing to do so again , but i was wondering if there is a group somewhere of more adult like people playing the game in dublin ? don't wanne spend the evening with a bunch of 16 year olds..no offence :P

Originally posted by Wook
    maybe a slight bit off topic but i was interrested in picking up the game again and used to play with tyranids before and willing to do so again , but i was wondering if there is a group somewhere of more adult like people playing the game in dublin ? don't wanne spend the evening with a bunch of 16 year olds..no offence :P

I am 20 years of age and collect a Space Marine Army. I know its off topic of the origanal post but maybe we can arrange a day to play battles against each other. I would travel from tipperary if we could.

I am also willing to pick up a passenger(or two) on the way to Dublin if thats where we are having the tournament.

I'd say most of us here sound over 18(could be wrong) and I am sure we could arrange some kind of meeting even to bring our armies together.

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Skyclad, 6 weapon skillv 4 strenght and 2 attacks for a base troops ISNT scary? and with the ability to infiltrate these guys rip the absolute sh*t out of marines! They get rending claws in the price, and buy them scything talons and they will have 3 attacks, these guys will beat ANY marine (unless you get **** rolls of course) in melee, get them in close to heavy weapon squads and you will have the time of your life.

Lets take 6 genestealers charging 6 blood claws and then vice versa. They have roughly the same points cost (dont have exact information to hand atm maybe 16 for blood claw and 18 for genestealer?)

6 genestealers charging = 18 attacks
    hit on 3+, 12 hit
    rending claws on 6, 2 wound and kill
    wound on 4-5, 4 wound
    marine armour save saves on average 2.67 of those wounds,
    so on average the genestealers do 3.33 casualties

Bloodclaws charge = 24 attacks
    hit on 4+, 12 hit
    wound on 4+, 6 wound
    genestealers dont have an armour save vs bolt weapons
    so on average 6 dead.
    Marines can also shoot!

Genestealers should be the ultimate alien hand to hand combat entity. Thats all they do. But at the end of the day assault marines and orks do it better. This I dont like from a flavour point of view.

Incidentally, on the topic of the devolution of the race, one would note that the genestealers in the Genestealer Cultist list have fleet of foot, whereas the codex ones dont...

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

genestealers should really beat anything ever in hand to hand :/ never knew they got so screwed over in new rules

WHere they lost out is in their armour, but you can get extend carapace for 3points (their base cost is 16), and the AP value of bolters dont count in melee anyway, so its only 5wounds rather than 6 there :)
    And unless bloodclawsa have a weaponskill of 5, genestealers hit them on 2+, and the blood claws will only hit them on 6 rather than on 4+. Genestealers only real advantage is their great weaponskill, but maybe if they had power weapons (well no armour save anyway) they would be really worth their value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

hmm im frosty on rules but i didnt think in melee you ever hit on a 2+ i thought the lowest you could get was 3+ (Very frosty on the rules btw :) )

Pugsley - what rules are you playing? Noone ever hits on a 2+, and marines will wound stealers on a 4+ whether they have a bolter, bolt pistol or butter knife since they have strength 4 anyway.

My statistics are right under the last edition of the rules and current codexes for both armies.

What save does extended carapace give them anyway? I still dont think its relevant :/

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

gives em an additional point of armour save, so 6+ to 5+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I had a mate who loved Tyranids until I played against him with his own space wolf army packing predominantly AOE weapons. 2 10000 point armies (by the 7 year old rules) and the game was over in 1 1/2 turns. 90% of them were dead and what was left wasn't worth continuing with. Afaik he never fought with them because back then Tyranids were very weak against a properly equiped army. I hope the situation has changed now because the models are fantastic.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Skyclad
    Pugsley - what rules are you playing? Noone ever hits on a 2+, and marines will wound stealers on a 4+ whether they have a bolter, bolt pistol or butter knife since they have strength 4 anyway.
    I meant to hit, WS of 6 vs 4.
    Never heard the rule that 3+ is max bonus you can get to hit tho.

Osiris - the new nids are able to fire much better now, even the carnifex has a venomcannon/barbed strangler. But they arent nearly as good at melee i think.

They really needed a boost in ranged ability but Tyranids were always all about melee, it should never have been touched. I really think though that the GW guys don't read their own Codexes. My big beef with Orks was that they were touted to be great in melee, very resilient due to their strange green blood and so full of battle frenzy that nothing would distract them from war. If so why were they always weaker then space marines, die as easy as anything in the game, and can be broken and forced into retreat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ups

Ive always viewed the orcs as just genetically not as good as the top troops of humanity. I also have no issues with them running away - he who runs away and all that...

My view of the orks was always that they were an unpredicatable bunch with weapons that might or might not work...
    Now the only army Ive played against or seen in action is the speed freaks, who are amazing in hand to hand and can regularly charge you on the first turn and always on the second.

re: the 3+, look up the table! its one ofthe first ones you come accross. or for rule of thumb 3+ to hit if your weapon skill is higher or 5+ if your weapon skill is less then half of your opponents. Else its 4+

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"If we wins, we wins, if we dies, we die, if we runs for it we don't die neither and can come back and 'av anuvver go see!"
    - Commonly held Ork view of warfare

Iny time I ever played with my orks I would always take all of my artillery and a battery of shok attack guns. Highly unpredictable but lots of fun. I remember one game I had one of them equipped with telescopic legs and positioned behing a wall. He poped up and destroyed a dreadnought, while my oher 2 killed my opponents commander dante I think it was and the last took out a predator. of course they spent the rest of the game missing but what are you gonna do it was worth it=]. Their artillary can be fantastic if it hits and is great fun to use.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The genestealers are pants. The move 6 assault 6 which makes them very slow (the marines can take a step back and fire again for example!). The do well in hand to hand combat alright but getting them there is a problem.
    Infiltrating isnt as great as you might think, 18 inch distance setup just makes them the first target!

They *can* work in the right situations but in general they arent worth it.

Warriors with leaping are nice though.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I have to agree!!! in a recent 40k in 40mins my space wolves decemated the genestealers with fire power inside turn 2!! which left the hive tyrant open for a blastin with the long fangs:D

Zoanthropes are the most important monster when playing against marines. Their 2+ save and 2 wounds means they can run out in front of marines and expect to live. They also have an ap3 attack that can take out 2-3 marines with no armour save. And if that wasnt enough, they are individual models and move as they please.

The hive tyrant is also monstrous - every heavy weapon in the marine army could hit it and leave it standing.

If played properly im pretty sure tyranids have the advantage against marines, any time ive seen them win though their army hasnt contained a single tyranid warrior.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Played a game yesterday with DeVore, and a few others (3x1000 pts on each side, space wolf x 2 + dark angels vs orks+tyranid+eldar). I think we won, it was very late when it was over.

Anyway, fun point for me was a squad of bloodclaws + runecheese wiping out two squads of trukk boyz and tom's carnifex (eat thunder hammer bitch), and having a leman russ exterminator intimidating _anything_ to move out of cover (so that's three heavy bolters AND a twin linked autocannon at that squad).

Low point was having that bloodclaw squad wiped out by two squads of hth tyranid warriors and a squad of howling banshees (boo!). Also, having one burna boy blowing up a rhino AND my venerable dreadnought in one go sucked too.

About zoanthropes, they tend to get popped a LOT by lascannon fire... but you are right about the hive tyrant - they are just plain dirty evil bastards :)

• Advertisement

You allied with Dark Angels? Shame on your great company!

Lascannons do have a tendency to pop most things they hit.

Advertisement