Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Set Wiily - Impossible ?

• 14-07-2000 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Yes, in case you never realised, apart from the fact that Jet Set Willy was a ******* hard game, there was a bug in it which meant it was impossible to finish. Software Projects were the first company to bring out an official hack (poke in the C64 days) which allowed you to complete the game.
    jsw_tape_cover-anim.gif

[This message has been edited by TinCool (edited 14-07-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

in what way was it impossible? i dont think i've ever played that game

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Theres was about 80 glasses you had to pick up to finish the bugger, however a cunning bug meant that one of them was unreachable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

These young people haven't lived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Jet Set Willy ruled.

Though for the spectrum the fun was trying to type in that colour code. The only thing worse then it was the LensLock in Tomahawk. That protection system died a death smile.gif

As far as I remember the glass was in hell? (no way out). Reminds me of Wriggler and Erik the Viking. Who knew programmers thought it was actually funny to lock up the game on purpose. Or anyone play Robin of Sherlock? and tried to look through a window.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 14-07-2000).]

No it wasn't in hell, that room you had to avoid, ie. if you fell in there, you'd keep on falling in and die, there were no glasses in there to collect. The bug was in the attic, can't remember exactly what it was and also there was one of the screens which had an invisible glass, which you just stumbled across if you were lucky, and another room where you automatically picked up two glasses as you entered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i may be young (17), but i've being playing games since before the spectrum was even out. i just happened to never have had the opportunity to play that particular game as of yet. i didnt get a speccy, i got a c64 instead ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the bug was that you had to make a choice at one point, the attic or the space craft, but there was no way out of the space craft, and there was no way to get back to the place where you could make the coice from the attic, so it was impossible,
    and yes, it took me an awful long time with the tne of the hall of thye mountain kings bang through my head over and over and over and over again.
    ohhh, sometime i wish i was dead....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

I probably spent about 600 hours playing Bubble Bobble with my neighbour. One day we got to level 35! We were so sure we were going to win! Then my brother told me we had another 65 levels to go....stupid little dragons...

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

Originally posted by ThunderingMike:
    I probably spent about 600 hours playing Bubble Bobble with my neighbour. One day we got to level 35! We were so sure we were going to win! Then my brother told me we had another 65 levels to go....stupid little dragons...

Ha, imagine playing the game and winning only to find out you can't complete the game unless you have two players (it just warps you back).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Don't talk to me about Bubble Bobble! That game started me on the downward spiraling path that led to me becoming the games fan I am now...

Clocked it several times when myself and the brother were bored (NES was cool for that sort of game).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

This game wasn't half as good as Dynamite Dan, goddamit, t'was way better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Chuckie Egg for President!!!!!!!

Best game ever!

Myself and a mate of mine used to play bubble bobble in our local snooker hall when it was there and after much practice, and an inbuilt cheat (you had to do a combination of hitting the fire button and moving the joystick in a certain pattern while the title screen was showing) where you'd always have runners and the three sweets which gave you long range bubbles, fast moving bubbles and super bubbles and also gave you the secret rooms at level 20, 30, 40 and 50. The one at 50 forwarded you on to level 70.

Having all of that we could complete the game with one credit each. Great game. Works great in mame too.

Rich from his past mining exploits, Willy has bought a huge mansion with over 60 rooms, most of which he has never seen. There's been a mammoth party and the guests have left the place in a dreadful mess. Willy just want to go to bed, but his housekeeper, the nightmarish Maria, won't let him until every bit and piece has been picked up and tidied away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Actually while we are on the subject can anyone tell me where I might get a decent Spectrum emulator and possibly a good place for roms? There are so many that I was hoping ye might know the best one(s)?

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

Since I never owned a Speccy, always thought they were a bit silly in comparison to the vastly superior C64. I have yet to here better tunes since those of commando, rambo first blood part 2, practically everything that Rob Hubbard did and Martin Galway too to a certain extent.

Anyway, speccy emu, not sure but www.vintagegaming.com is a great place to start, try www.emux.com or www.emuviews.com for Speccy Roms.

Rich from his past mining exploits, Willy has bought a huge mansion with over 60 rooms, most of which he has never seen. There's been a mammoth party and the guests have left the place in a dreadful mess. Willy just want to go to bed, but his housekeeper, the nightmarish Maria, won't let him until every bit and piece has been picked up and tidied away.

Originally posted by ThunderingMike:
    Actually while we are on the subject can anyone tell me where I might get a decent Spectrum emulator and possibly a good place for roms? There are so many that I was hoping ye might know the best one(s)?

I had one ages ago. it cost about $20 to buy (the demo had no speed control, so it was like Jet Set on acid).

I also got most if not all my games converted to PC from tape (about 15MB worth). Problem is they are all back in Ireland and I'm not sure where.

Originally posted by TinCool:
    Since I never owned a Speccy, always thought they were a bit silly in comparison to the vastly superior C64.

Oh yes, the old "My computer is better then yours" fights that used to exist. smile.gif

Actually one thing I liked about the speccy (moreso in it's twilight years of 48k) was that the developrs were able to program some pretty amazing stuff in such little space.

Now days developers are just lazy and tell you to slap on more diskspace/memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Does anyone remember the name of the speccy game that had the main character as a Jester, and it actually spoke at you through the speakers!!

'Thats the way to do it!', well at least if you listened veeery carefully wink.gif

Snaga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

hey lo :7)

If y'all want to play Jet set willy or manic miner again go to

http://www.retrospec.co.uk/anoble/mmjsw/mmjsw.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

13 year Zombie Thread revival but I just remembered playing and failing badly at Jet Set Willy on the 48k

Here is the walkthrough

Nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ssaye wrote: »
    13 year Zombie Thread revival

Um, yeah. Please don't do that.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement