Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need thermal paste for this heatsink?

Options
  • 07-01-2003 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I bought a 2200+ and it came with the heatsink and fan. The heatsink has an area of puddy stuff which i presume is meant to fit over the processor, my question is does this puddy stuff replace thermal paste or do i still need it, or will it be damaging if i use thermal paste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

nop dont hink u need one /me looks at gerry you could peel it off and use the paist u have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The puddy stuff your talking about is thermal paste so you dont need to add any more.But i would suggest that you take it off and replace it evan with generic thermal paste which would be better than that chewing gum type crap they put on.Be careful you dont scrape the bottom of the heatsink tho.Try nailvarnish remover and clean it off and apply a verry thin layer of any thermal paste to the heatsink.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I'm not sure if it will touch off the cpu when i put it on top, it doesn't seem to. Will it fry if its not touching? Should i fill in the gap with thermal paste, or will that act as an insulator. Then again i could be just imagining this gap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Make sure theres a gap, it probably does touch it.
    Its unlikely it was applied wrong.

You can take off the pad if you want. Make sure you apply new thermal paste to the top of the processor, not the heatsink.

Just a small ammount on the shiny part.

If I were you id just use the heatsink as it is, the stuff they put on it is usually pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭mackanz

If you can get a decant compound such as Artic Silver III or a good silicone compound at Maplins, by all means, please remove that pad. It helps next to nothing. Instead, use the good stuff.

• Advertisement

I cheaked last night there is definetly a gap. I'll get the thermal paste and peel off the old stuff. I'll be trying it on saturday, I'll inform ye if it explodes.

There isn't a gap :) It was just when i placed the heatsink on the processor with my hands there was but when i clamped it down (almost fúcking impossible) it was fully on. It's my first time building a pc so forgive my foolishness. I left on the puddy stuff, it should be fine. I'll post again if it explodes however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

No comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    I left on the puddy stuff, it should be fine. I'll post again if it explodes however.

That's the attitude :)

Wish more people would adopt it tbh, would cut down on some reptitive posts...

Boards.ie Ltd., SyxPak Enterpirses Inc. and The Machine God Conglomerate accept no responsibility in the event your machine does explode.

Started it up on saturday, eveything ran okay. Was playing UT2003 about an hour ago and it just turned off. Can't get it to come back on, its cooled down and everything. It had no case fans and a 300W PSU, any idea's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement