Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safari Browser

• 07-01-2003 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

New browser from Apple (possibly only OSX compatible). It's pretty good, would use it over IE as it works javascript fairly well (except for the boards dropdown :()

Anyone else using it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa

I'm using it too. It's pretty slick, very fast, and has nicely implemented bookmark management.

The only thing I don't like is the use of textured windows. It doesn't look right at all on a multi-windowed app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ye true, it should really have tabs as I'm told Chimera has. It also isn't great with coping with multiple windows at the same time ie. opening two websites at once - which iCab is GREAT at!

Anyway it's just a beta isn't it? I wonder if they will give it out for free when all is fixed.

I'd be utterly amazed if it wasn't free to download when the final version is released. After all, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iCal and iSync are all free downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

True, I guess I just feel a disturbance in the force of the Mac, I have a horrible feeling that they are going to go all Bill Gates on us :(

Anyway, a great beta nonetheless.

Given that Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Moviemaker are also free downloads, I don't think Apple acting like Microsoft would be anything to worry about, in this instance anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A nice, clean browser based on Konquerer. I like it lots. :) It just needs better javascript support (for example it doesn't render the menus at the top of the boards.ie pages properly) and I'll be happy.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    A nice, clean browser based on Konquerer. I like it lots. :) It just needs better javascript support (for example it doesn't render the menus at the top of the boards.ie pages properly) and I'll be happy.

The boards.ie drop down menu is filled with ancient non-standard code afaik.

In accomodating Netscape 4.* and other quirks in browsers it's actually resulting in newer standards complient browsers b0rking. :o(

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Mozilla doesn't render them? Strange, Chimera Navigator manages them just fine.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, noticed that - that isn't the javascript though I reckon, just a layout issue. Safari works equally badly on all pages. :/

But as p mentions, it's pretty odd and nasty javascript anyway..

Teeth.

Advertisement