Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cd-rw not recognising blanks and cd-ripping not working

• 08-01-2003 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I recently opened the program I usually use to rip cds (FreeRip MP3) and it gives me the error "Error opening cd device". I've a dvd-rom and cd-rw in the pc. I use the dvd for ripping and the cd-rw for burning..naturally. I tried a different program for ripping called cdex and that gives the error "Aspi drivers for windows not installed correctly". I then downloaded aspi drivers from adaptec's website and installed those. I still get the same error from both ripping programs. However, I can rip with windows media player, the only downside here is that it only does wma.
    And now Nero is playing up. It won't detect blank cds I put in so it therefore won't burn. However if I put in a cd with something on it then it detects it no bother but not a cd that was burned if you get me.
    I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm sure it's going to sound like I'm pimping it at this stage... but try running ForceASPI to fix your ASPI layer. Unzip all the files (making sure it sorts the files into various directories) and then run "INSTASPI.BAT" (just double-click on it, you know the drill). Reboot and you're done.

Also worth looking for a file on the Adaptec/Roxio site called aspichk.exe - should check your ASPI layer (though it only reports 3 out of 4 files as being on my system (all it's ever done))

Annoyingly if ForceASPI doesn't work, the handiest solution is sometimes to wipe and install, though it seems a little silly for a few small files.

Not recognising a burned CD doesn't make any sense to be honest - unless you're not fully closing your CDs (Nero etc don't bother by default) which could make it again an aspi layer problem.

Give it a go - if it doesn't work you can always call back here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Hi,

I have windows 2000 and similiar problems occur. My Nero works fine and I get the 100% complete message when I rip a CD. Alas this CD is unreadable in the PC ar any othet PC. I ripped a CD full of MP3's recently and neither my PC or DVD player will read it.

I'll try these packages.

Q. Is there any ASPI issues with Win 2k also??

Thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Thanks for replying guys.

Thanks sceptre, ForceASPI did the trick.

All works now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by thegills
    I have windows 2000 and similiar problems occur. My Nero works fine and I get the 100% complete message when I rip a CD. Alas this CD is unreadable in the PC ar any othet PC. I ripped a CD full of MP3's recently and neither my PC or DVD player will read it.
    Again it may be due to the CD not being closed. It's an option on the writeCD dialog on Nero. Try it - may make the difference

Q. Is there any ASPI issues with Win 2k also??
    Absolutely. It's Win2k that first got me aware of these problems as it happens - win2k doesn't come with an ASPI layer at all by default - nor do NT4 or WinXP (and most CD writing packages insist on having it). Meanwhile Adaptec's aspi layer wouldn't install on win2k at all in the past. Hence my liking for the program mentioned above - it worked when I needed it and nothing else worked.

Advertisement