Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tekken impossible ??

Options
  • 14-07-2000 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Anyone whose seen mission impossible 2 might notice ( well i did anyway ) the fairly large similarity between cruises fighting moves and a bunch of moves from tekken , maybe john woo took some idea's from tekken , well err , he must have , they're exact copies and no self respecting martial art would ever do Law's rainbow kick to kick guns out of ppls hands and Pauls moonsault to kick guys on the ground, followed by that throw he does near the end where he grabs the guys arm and kicks him in the head twice, baek does it , jin does it , kazuya does it ( but then again , its a martial art move , the other ones arent )

Wan the Woo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What is probably happening is IM2 had already sold the rights to some computer company to release the game and they wanted some input into the movie. It's happend before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

The reason they look alike is that Namco wanted Tekken's moves to look as realistic as possible so real martial arts experts were employed for motion capture.

Therefore if you watch any martial arts movie, you're bound to see moves similar to Tekken.

It's the same with most beat-'em-ups nowadays as developers move towards realism in games.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Screenplay for MI2 written by John Woo?? No.

Screenplay for MI2 written by Robert Towne?? Yes.

I don't claim to be a martial arts expert (although I'm black belt in running away).

But that kick where he flips over is an extremly dangerous move to do in real combat. You leave yourself totally open and offset your center of balance.

It was basically for show.

I think you'll find most martial arts are for show.

Some are for self defence but most, like the name says, are an art.

Noel Brady
    wwww.game-ireland.com

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Noel Brady:
    I think you'll find most martial arts are for show.

Some are for self defence but most, like the name says, are an art.

Noel Brady
    wwww.game-ireland.com

Name 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Judo , Tae Kwan Do and that age old favourite, Kung Fu. Those are Arts. An example of a defensive would be Tae Bo ( a mate of mine is nuts about all this chop socky bull****. I could tell you how to kill a Bison with a roll of toilet paper smile.gif)

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

you misunderstand. I'm looking for 3 which are only arts (as in not combative), not self defensive.

I thought Tae Bo was that makey up exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    I thought Tae Bo was that makey up exercise?

tae bo was made up by that fitness guy. i saw the infomercial

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

LOL
    Yes but as fancy-pants(tm) as some martial arts are, I'm sure that infomecial guy would kick your ass anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Are you guys talking about Chuck Norris? He must be a damn millionaire after all the infomercials he's been in. Imagine if Bruce Lee had ended up like that eek.gif

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

I'm no martial arts buff but ask anyone and they'll tell you that most are for show.

Hobbes was also right about the videogame rights. They were sold to Infogrames before shooting of the film even began.

I even think Infogrames may have rights to the MI trilogy as they made the first Mission Impossible game for N64 and then PSX. Both versions were typically crap, as with most movie-based games.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

Originally posted by Noel Brady:
    I'm no martial arts buff but ask anyone and they'll tell you that most are for show.

I just did. You said they were, I'm looking for 3. There's loads? So it can't be that hard.

Most Martial Arts are for combat/self defense. There are extremly few (if any) which are used for just show. They all have a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Martial arts are done in exhibitions now, true, but the exhibitions are a new thing. The use of them to kill, maim and disable people is much older.

No martial art is purely for show. All of them are either offensive or defensive combat styles. The exception which proves the rule is Tai'Chi, technically a martial art, which is an exercise and mental relaxation routine designed to be used as part of a lifestyle which would also include martial arts training and practice.

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

bo-whatsu isnt that that martial arts thing POB does?
    Member he allways used to be saying he could kick anyones ass during them PEL warm up sessions in IRC.
    AAAAAAHHHHHH It seems as if all the half-life community is leaving.

I just got here, how could I have sent out the them half cooken MCchicken sanwitches

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Martial Arts are certainly not for show lads!!! Martial Arts in recent films are very showey, but hey, that's show business!

I've done a couple of kinds of Karaté, Judo, Ninjitsu and Nunckau and trust me, show was the last thing I was thinking about! Not getting the krud beaten out of me was the highest on the priority list!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Tae kwon do , did it for a while , i dare anyone to try prize kicks in a real fight and be prepared to be kicked very hard in the balls.
    Its the most violent but definetly the most show-y off-y, bugger all punches , mostly fancy kicks. But i have never seen any moves like what were done in MI2 , other than in tekken.

Advertisement