Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of books read in a year

Options
  • 08-01-2003 9:58am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Out of curiousity, what is the average number of books read by people on this board per year. I just wonder if my New Year's goal of 1 book a week is do-able or not.

How many books do you usually read per year? 36 votes

<10
    0% 0 votes
    10-25
    22% 8 votes
    25-50
    13% 5 votes
    >50
    22% 8 votes
    I can't read you insensitive clod
    41% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Usually read between 1 & 2 a week although my reading time has been curtailed of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I get the bus in and out of town every day. That is two hours reading before I count any at home so I get through alot of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

use to be about 50 a year.
    now id be lucky if its 5.

i guess it depends on your life style and not whether you like to read or not.
    i love reading, and yet when i go to bed, its usually lights out after a hectic day. hell, i even read more than i play on computers anymore. thats how busy i am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

id read over 50 a year i dont know how much over 50. i read about 3 books a week, depending on the time of year, if ive more time, or am travelling lots ill read more.but im very bad for re reading books, and not giving books i know i should be reading a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

over the summer read a lot of books, but since then have only managed 1 and am 3/4 through another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Id probably read between 50 and 75 books per year.

Having said that, I have a 30-minute train commute every morning and evening, which gives me a good chunk of time, and I'm a pretty fast reader.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmm.. Read the cover of a book there last week, at about 2am...
    Captivated, I started reading the first few pages...

Finished the book at about 4am...

Quickest I ever read a book..
    If anyone's interested, it was called 'A child called "it"'
    Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'd say touching 50 though it's tough to tell. I waver between reading fluff and getting through them in two days or so and spending weeks on a serious book.

Right now I'm reading a history of Isreal, I really have to concentrate on it to follow what's happening, after two weeks I'm barely half way through.

Whereas I'd rip through Terry Pratchett in a day and then wonder why I bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I'd say I would read anything from 30 to 50 books a year, depending on whats going on, the type of books, etc. Some weeks I will read 2 or 3 books other weeks nothing at all. However I will say two things about reading:-
    1) it beats the **** out of crappy telly
    2) Your never alone with a book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

i read about 80 a year. never made a list but i read between 2 to 4 books a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i only read about 6 - 8 books a year cause it takes me 6 to 8 weeks to read a book. I only read boods on the jacks on work so it takes me ages to finish unless I do a lot of OT! I like to read when im on double time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

used to read at least 2 books a week but life is tiring now

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Used to be 3-4 a week.... now I'm lucky if I get time for 3-4 a month!! A real bitch since I still bought books at the old rate of reading up to a few weeks ago! So I gotta a wee stockpile goin here:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Where can you find time to read 4 books a week? We're talking novels here aren't we? Do you have to give up TV to do that? Or is it just speed reading?
    I'm a slow reader. I got a book for Christmas and I'm just gone half way. Well I only read a couple of pages a night before I go to sleep.

But 4 books a week?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭deezoid

I'd say I read about 2-3 books a week. i try to make as much time to read as pos! I have , usually, at any one time 2-4 books on the go – one for lunch breaks (usually non-fiction), one for busses (very light reading), one for bathroom breaks ( humour usually) and one for bedtime ( a good dose of fiction).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

well. i find it easy to go through 4 novels a week, provided im not busy doing stuff that takes up most of my time. its just that i travel for about 2 hours on busses every day, and sometimes ill read during lectures, and ill read befroe i go to bed-sometimes i'll stay up way ater than i should just to get to the end of a book, and suffer the next day because of it.

sometimes i speed read books, i dont mean to, but i just dont pay attention to all the smaller details only coz im dying to see what happenes at the end. i then read the book properly within a few weeks after reading it the first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭deezoid

I've also recently taken to reading fiction for young adults(Garth nix, phillip Pullman etc) so you can fly through them at a rate of knotts. Has any one else noticed how may good books for yound adults are coming out: Across the Nightingale floor, sabriel, His Dark Materials etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

When I was in primary school and then on to secondary school I could read 2 books a week but since I've been in college I don't have anywhere near as much time to read as I'd like. I'm lucky if I get through a chapter a night in term time.:(
    Over the hols though I can get through a bit more!

Advertisement