Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humour board admin

• 08-01-2003 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

can the pleasant admin (humour) who is so concerned about kids and 18Plus humour please unban my ass so I can continue filling their minds with what they will need to survive in the perverse world the live in.

on a serious note: if I title the entry '18+' that would mean that kiddies are not advised to read whatever is in the link...
    you could almost say 'they have been warned' but to ban people to post such jokes is rather ... 'harsh?' (if they label it as sensitive)
    And I can understand the reason why some things can't be allowed because of the mixture of ages and people but damn are you going to be completely political correct' ? then you should also ban and label most posts in PI, After hours, well almost everything where people can post their own opinion...and what about the more adult people among us ? are we destined to read 'whiny the Poo' posts because we might hurt somebody's feelings?

rant rant rant.....Etc Etc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

You could always check your joke's suitability with Kharn first, to avoid getting banned. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

so every post that might be considered 'rude' or not to be read by minors..pass by Kharn....i am sure he is going to enjoy that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Wook
    so every post that might be considered 'rude' or not to be read by minors..pass by Kharn....i am sure he is going to enjoy that...

:)

Hmm I think there should be an over 18's forum perhaps. need some method of actually knowing how people are over 18

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd prefer it than having more work of deleting your post and banning you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

• Advertisement

still silly that we can not have a little laugh with a bit more mature contents even if we label the post and put up big warning bright neon letters 'Not for Minors!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Wook
    still silly that we can not have a little laugh with a bit more mature contents even if we label the post and put up big warning bright neon letters 'Not for Minors!!'

Granted, but where do you draw the line on what is unsuitable for minors, and what's just plain unsuitable.

Besides, you know if your parents had left you alone with a bottle of whiskey, with a big label marked 'do not drink this', you'd bloody well just go ahead and drink it to see what happens :D

thats what they call 'growing up' seamus ? :D trial and error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I think it's a little beyond the scope of the humour board to help kids 'grow up'. Make them chuckle, yes....

I have no issue with over 18's humour in (just about) any shape or form being both open minded and over 18 years of age as I am.

I think you'll just have to accept that the humour board on boards.ie (for better or worse) just isn't the repository for that kind of stuff.

but would it then not be fair to be 'polical correct' to everybody ..
    like the blond jokes?, the nationality jokes ? woman and man comparisons..and so on ?

In no way would i like this because it would eliminate a lot of funny posts, but what i am saying is that we are indeed not here to help grow up childeren on the humour board but geez lighten up...plus 18 doesnt mean explicit graphix and full blown penetration scenes..it can be naughty or make references 'to'.

Once again com'n sense should be used...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Common Sense is far less common then they would have you believe.

Personally I find Kharn to have a good sense about this (even though I've had things cut by him too!).

Accept that not *everything* in this world is going to be perfect for YOU and let this pass...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

While I don't have any problem with over 18s jokes or pics(I quite enjoy them actually) I feel that there should be a warning in the subject header as a lot of people might be reading these boards from work/college and anything 'controversial' could cause trouble in such an environment. A lot of companys are ultra PC when it comes to the net as they are afraid of lawsuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sometimes i wonder if Devore is actually over 18.
    however, ihave seen him in a publlic house, so im ging to assume he is.

mind you, his sense of humour is appalling and deserves to be deleted to save others anyway.

and wook, i wouldnt worry about it. just learn to post up links, or if you need, i mean really need to post up something, and its just tooo far outside the boundries of decorum, then dont.

wwm i understand that somethings can not be posted because of their contents and visual blasphemy but as i said before , 'lighten up' and label the contents..and Devore ..correct com'n sense is sometimes hard to find but you have a solution for that - 'Moderators' ..to ban all insunuation towards any 'naughty' posts is a bit harsh for the reason being that kids might be shocked..i have to say i am often shocked what the kids these days allready know and done so far
    :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, we *should* have Moderators and Kharn is a good one...

He just doesnt agree with you!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There was some fish I had that didn't agree with me, doesn't mean it'd make a good moderator.

My point?
    None...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

From what I've seen, Kharn moderates the humour board with a philosophy something like: if there's any doubt, if it's probably inappropriate, it's gone and maybe a temp ban imposed.

He's a good mod - not a forum I'd want to take on.

to clear this up ...i have never questioned 'Kharn' nor will i comment on his skills..but i did had a comment on the way it is run by rules that leave no space for what more mature people think is 'funny'

I think you mean "what *you* find funny".

Otherwise how will you satisfy people who think what you post ISNT funny? There are a lot of people who read Humour and would disagree with you I'm sure? So who gets to draw the line?

DeV.

Devore ,
    the problem is not if the post is funny or not , because that is all up to whomever might be reading it..but the problem was about the line been drawn that tells us not to go 'naughty' no references to sex and so on. And why the kids on the boards might be offended or the people in the office (who shouldn't be watching a post clearly labelled 18Plus anyhow) could get into trouble. The problem is more that there are double standards and in all fairness just being hypocrite because of 'subject' matter that is allowed in one group and not the other..even though the whole of boards is accessible to all (including minors).

small example:
    -prostitution
    -drugs
    -sex related questions
    -etc just have a look trough the latest postings..

but to end this conversation that isn't going nowhere because of stubbornness I will hereby concede defeat of dialogue and honourable retreat into oblivion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can ya PM me with the dirty ones plz :)

Maybe set up a private Humour board :D
    Can i be mod??

18s only

kdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought that was what The Illuminati is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Boards.ie should be viewable by all.

What you posted wasn't.

It got deleted.

End of discussion.

-cough- right , whatever you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would like to be a member of th 18+ humour club. Is someone gonna request it as a private forum. All you have to do is prove that you are over 18 to get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Would like to be a member of th 18+ humour club. Is someone gonna request it as a private forum. All you have to do is prove that you are over 18 to get into it.

use The Illuminati board. Apparantely the moderator there likes dirty jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How do we get access to said invisible board??

KdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Phreak
    use The Illuminati board. Apparantely the moderator there likes dirty jokes.

The moderator there is a spammy git...
    and is only too happy to have another reason to make posts with nothing else in them but a lone ":)".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Aaaaaaaaaaaah the old lone smiley jokes eh. Classic...

So who is the spammy git who heads up this 18+/Illuminati board ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's not bard, it's not me, so that leaves only..... :)

Advertisement