Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes! "System resources dangerously low"

Options
  • 08-01-2003 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

What can I do?
    Since yestrerday evening, every time I try to open a word doc my Machine freezes up completely and control alt delete gets a message saying warning "system resources dangerously low - do you want to close this application?" Then I have to unplug the machine from the power source to reboot it.

I'm running Windows ME, I ran a virus scan, I defragmented my HD, I checked system properties performance and it says 53% of my system resources is free. So how come it is dangerously low as soon as i try to open Word?

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Are you trying to open a huge word document ?

davej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

No I tried a couple of different docs and creating a new doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

How much ram u got?

Disable any background apps, virus scanner etc.

Click start->run and type msconfig. On the startup tab disable background apps that are not needed.

Could try increasing page file size or better yet getting more ram, its pretty cheap these days.

Still struggling Dawg. Thanks for the advice so far.
    I have 128 Megs of Ram - is there a way I check to see if this is really the problem?
    On the startup tab I deleted the one item I installed recently but am wary of deleting other things which I'm not sure could be essential.
    So far I have not solved the problem.
    If I switch off virus protection surely even if this helped it would only be a very temporary solution....
    If I do need to install more RAM - where do I get it in Dublin? I need to be able to read these word docs today...
    How do you increase the "page file size"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Googled your problem:

Hi Sean,Off hand it sounds like a corrupt Normal.dot. Locate Normal.dot and
    rename it to OldNormal.dot. Word will create a new one upon starting.
    Any customizations can be copied to the new Normal.dot via the
    Organizer (Tools/Templates and Add-Ins) One this is complete
    OldNormal.dot can be discarded.
    If that doesn't resolve it then take a look at this article for
    additional troubleshooting steps:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

davej

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help folks - normal service is now resumed.

me exits.... one happy customer

Advertisement