Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on socket 370/fcpga

• 08-01-2003 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Are these two the same ? also what is Fcpga II ?
    Basically I'm putting together a box with a bx440 chipset. I currently have a 500mhz Citrix socket 370 cpu and I'm trying to figure out what P3/Celeron I need for it with a view to bringing it up to 850mhz.
    While I'm here if anyone has a spare CPU fitting the above description I may be interested.

Thx in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Socket370 and FCPGA are more or less the same spec, the difference being the physical design and appearance of the processor. Two main things to watch for. First, BX chipset tops out at a 100MHz bus speed ruling out the faster P-III chips. Second, your board won't take a Tualtin AKA FCPGA2 processor, unless you use a PowerLeap adapter, which rules out any chip currently on retail sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

FC-PGA has the same socket as socket 370, but the pins are wired slightly differently to support coppermines. If your board says it only supports socket 370 cpu's, you are stuck with celerons up to 550.
    Any decent bx board will have options to clock to 133mhz, this argument has been had many times before. So if your board can do this, and has coppermine support, you can throw any p3 coppermine chip you want into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you look up the manufacter of the motherboard they should list what cpu's are compatible and which bios you need to support which bios.

You can get up to a 1ghz PIII with a 100fsb, (every rare though)though as others have suggested you might be able to use a 133fsb through overclocking your motherboard.

The powerleap adapters (http://www.powerleap.com/) are another option and you can get up to a 1.4ghz chip PIII or celeron. Again you will have to check with powerleap if your board is compatible with them and what the max you can use. They are not cheap though.

Bear this in mind that upgrading the BX may not be cost efective.
    It might be cheaper just to buy a cheap socket A sram board instead of the BX and stick something like a duron 1ghz in it. Cost you about 100 euros to do this.

You might be able to pick up something like a 100fsb 800mhz celeron and get that working for around 40 euros. But your bios may not support it, and its not exactly going to be a speed demon. Certainly not a huge increase from what you've got. Whereas a duron 1ghz+ is a nippy little cpu even with sram and a huge jump from what you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Thanks for the help Guys.
    I was in AMD land when the P3 was popular so never really familiarised myself with them.
    I decided to go for a power leap adapter and 1.2ghz Celeron for about £90stg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Where did you order it from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Have you actually placed the order?

I have a celeron 566@66 and fan, good to 850(@100) if you're interested.

Your's for waaaay under 90 sponds.

Advertisement