Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ichi the Killer

• 08-01-2003 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

saw this movie when I was on holiday in Belgium.
    It's gruesome, horror, shocking gore..and left me speechless for some time after the movie..I thought I have seen most things already but nothing prepared me for this movie, for all who likes this kind of movie's 'a la' 'The audition' this is yours to watch..
    sick and disturbed..Japanese movie

(might be banned in ireland, not sure)

(source : http://www.scarecrow.com/Sales/items/item_001250.asp )

Synopsis: Based on one of the most violent comics ever seen, Hideo Yamamoto’s Koroshiya 1, this adaptation by the current master of mayhem, Takashi Miike, is, if anything, even more violent. Luckily, it’s funnier, too—that is, if your idea of laughs is watching a guy cut his own tongue off. This gonzo gangland gross-out epic stars Japanese indie superstar Tadanobu Asano, alongside a cast that includes some of the hippest directors in Japan, as Kakihara, an albino sadomasochist whose boss has gone missing after a mysterious attack that turned most of his gang into a stinking pile of entrails. Kakihara tears through Tokyo’s yakuza population with glee, torturing and killing to find out who has kidnapped his beloved boss, using methods so radical they make even his street-hardened colleagues blanch. His favorite tools: fish hooks, foot-long needles and boiling oil. He eventually discovers that there’s another crazy killing machine in Tokyo—a guy named Ichi in a superhero suit with razor blades for toes is keeping one step ahead of Kakihara. Will they meet up for a showdown? Is the sky blue? Miike’s more than a little like Kakihara—he loves to make his audience squirm. Lovers of extreme cinema, Ichi the Killer is for you.
    Director: Miike, Takashi
    Runtime: 115 Minutes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Since our film censor generally follows whatever path the BBFC goes down, it's worth checking their website bbfc.co.uk to see what they say.

Here's what they say about Ichi the Killer:
    To obtain this category (note: it got an 18 cert) cuts of 3m 15s were required. The cuts were Compulsory.
    Cuts required to scenes of mutilated, raped or savagely beaten women or of sexual pleasure from violence. Cuts required in line with the requirements set out in the BBFC Classification Guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I enjoyed this film. A lot. But I generally enjoy Takashi's work. He's the man :) Not his best film, but watch it anyway.

Very gory, very violent. If you don't like a little bit of violence you will definitely not like this. I'm not joking when I say it's very very violent, bloody, gory.

I bought the Region 3 version (cheap cheap, mmm). Currently the only uncut version is the Dutch one. Even the Region 3 version has a lot of scenes cut from it (mainly the very violent rape scene).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

sweet jesus Wook. have you been doing some crazy Being john Malkovich shit and entered my mind over the holidays?

i was too in Belgium when i saw this movie. it was the uncut one, dutch dvd region (not sure what number it is, has no special features at all). we wanted to rent out triple x and ecks and sever cause it had guns in it (my cousin and i, v. pissed) but both movies were out and i stumbled on the japanese dvd section of the video store. they had most of the takashi's work and loads anime. rented out battle royale(seen before) and Ichi the killer which i havent seen. i knew about the movie since i hassled lots of people on irc before about its content (ask lex), and specially told my cousin, "its a bit weird and fucked up in some ways". he went for it.

once you watch it, your mind is fresh and clear cause you know you cant be as fucked up as you think you are. the rape scene is essential since it's large part of the plot regarding Ichi's character. oh yeah, dont watch the dubbed version since it ruins the atmosphere so much. long live the subtitles.

adnans

Advertisement