Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I toast two cpus?

Options
  • 08-01-2003 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I would love some help here if anyone is willing.
    I decided in my infinite wisdom to screw around with two perfectly operating machines and now both are dead.
    I wanted to swap the heatsinks as the slower machine with a Duron 700 in an Asus A7V had a monster heatsink and the XP1600 in a Gigabyte GA7VRXP had a stock cooler. The XP chip seemed to be very hot and I had to leave the lid off to keep it under 70C.
    Anyway, I removed both heatsinks and cleaned off the paste that was on both heatsinks and chips. I used my fingernail to scratch off the paste.
    I swapped the heatsinks, adding new paste. I don't think I used too much but I am not sure. Here is what I now get.
    The Asus/Duron beeps continuously when switched on. as in beep, beep, beep, beep..............
    There is no pattern whatsoever, it just beeps.
    The monitor doesn't come on.
    The Gigabyte/XP fires up but the monitor doesn't come on and there are no bios beeps at all. It does no more.
    I did switch back the heatsinks but to no avail. Same problem still.
    Where do I go from here?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I put the Duron 700 into the Gigabyte board and it works fine. So I am fairly sure I toasted the XP chip. Now that I know that the Duron is ok, and the Gigabyte board is good, I guess I need to figure out what is up with the Asus board.
    Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Hard luck. Have had this happen to me for no reason to! Sometimes the board will spring back to life after a few hours or you might have to clear the cmos. It might be confused with the what cpus is in there. You might also try not using the autodetect and set the cpu manulally using jumpers on the board (if there are any).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by iwb
    Here is what I now get.
    The Asus/Duron beeps continuously when switched on. as in beep, beep, beep, beep..............
    There is no pattern whatsoever, it just beeps.
    The monitor doesn't come on.
    The Gigabyte/XP fires up but the monitor doesn't come on and there are no bios beeps at all. It does no more.
    I did switch back the heatsinks but to no avail. Same problem still.
    Where do I go from here?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Neil.

on the Asus/Duron make sure you have seated the graphics cards properly.and also check the ram.think it's the ram that causes that insessant beeping :)

as for the other machine.dunno.

strip them all down to the very minimum components and try boot each from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys. I was dicking around with the asus board tonight and found the manual. It said as stated here that its a memory problem. I tried the ram in different slots but it didn't go away.
    Anyway, after a while, the power supply went bang, so I am guessing it was on the way out and finally died. I will take the psu out of the gigabyte machine now and try it on the asus board. That will tell me definitively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Make sure you aren't shorting out these things yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement