Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search application/engine?

Options
  • 08-01-2003 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has used an easy to configue and install site search application, or managed service, which is capable of indexing a standard hard coded HTML website (would be cool if it could also handle PDFs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Whats the host O/S?

If its a *nix machine try htdig, I find it works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Just wondering if anyone has used an easy to configue and install site search application, or managed service, which is capable of indexing a standard hard coded HTML website (would be cool if it could also handle PDFs)

Google indexes PDFs and also offers a site search.

If it is less than 50-100 pages including PDFs, it may not be worth the hassle. I think that htdig is part of either the Gnome or KDE documentation installation on Linux. However It really does depend on the scale of the site that you want to index.

Regards..jmcc
    (I don't do search engines for sites - I only do countries. ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

http://www.atomz.com/search/trial_account.htm - Sign up for a free trial account if the site has less then 500 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Thanks for that...

Advertisement