Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Influential Game??

Options
  • 08-01-2003 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

What game do people think had the most influence on THEM (ie not games industry but them as players)

I think mine was Street Fighter 2, I remember going to an arcade in spain and playing it for nearly 2 weeks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Double Dragon was the first arcade game i played to death in the arcades. Remember being amazed at the graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

arcade game was final fight and console ......................it has to be asteroids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Most influential game.. hmm probably mario kart for the super nintendo, I played that game for hours on end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

donkey kong in the arcades :)

although street fighter 2 also had a great influence "aaaaiiii ueeeeee keeen", had a arcade close to where i stayed so spent most days up there playing it, ryu/ken = ownage :D

donkey kong was prolly one of the first i played though, apart from pong where all you had was that "rollerball" thingy to move about.

And lets not forget about space invaders omg :D

so many to choose from :(

[edit: yes double dragon was also class :) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Im going for the old stand by Street Fighter 2 (It was better than Mortal Kombat and you know it!) if only for the nostalgia whenever I see Ken pull off a dragon punch or Bison Imbalance Crusher.
    Also Donkey Kong and Super Mario Kart get the vote for insanely obvious reasons, Grim Fandango for its humour and Warcraft 3 for its Play-me-22-hours-a-day-and-is-sleep-really-that-important-anyway? addictiveness :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

commander keen 1, 4 and civ 1

dw

*edit*
    i really should look at the thread topic more, i thought it said "first game played" or something.. obviousily commander keen 1+4 isnt the most influencial game ever.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Arcade:

Flying Shark/Twin Cobra/Raiden (I'm a sucker for a good shooter, and they were rock hard -- but beatable !!). The newer Psyiko shooters just throw millions of bullets at you and say "avoid those!", but the earlier games were all about skill and sharp shooting.

PC:

The original Wolf 3D (I remember getting 100% in every level in all 6 episodes a long time ago!)

Ultima Underworld 1 and System Shock (totally absorbing where-did-the-time-go sort of games!)

Console:

Zelda IV (SNES): Same as UW and SS on the PC. Totally absorbing. Finished it 3 times and loved every minute.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

It has to be Doom I and II. This was my very first taste of "on-line" gaming - could ring one buddy via modem and bash...

what a ground breaking game...

The Duke : ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

Pac-Man on the Atari 2600. It was the first game I ever played and had me totally captivated. It's still good for a quick blast every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Platoon (C64), Sonic the HedgeHog, Shadowrun (Snes), Fallout, Half-life, and the ubitqious "Doom".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Quakeworld

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I think it'd have to be the first computer game I ever played on the atari st in my friends house. I was nine at the time. I can't even remember what it was called maybe you could help me name it. You control a bug on a spaceship and had to collect things (a dime a dozen back then I know!) it had a top down view.

Anyways long story short it lead me to wizball, dungeon master,sonic, mario, kart, streetfighter 2, colonisation, quake, civilisation 2, quake 2, quake3, civilistation 3.... and hopefully doom3 anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Street fighter 2 (arcade)
    Street fighter 2 rainbow edition (arcade)
    Street fighter 3 [thirdstrike] (arcade)

Super Mario World (Snes)
    Super Mario Cart (Snes)
    Street fighter 2 turbo (Snes)

Zelda [oricain of time] (N64)

Counter Strike [Pc]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

It has to be Doom I and II. This was my very first taste of "on-line" gaming - could ring one buddy via modem and bash...

ah , i didnt know that , how do u play online ? i didnt know DOOM for pc has ne multiplayer capabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doom definatly, then Half life in second place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

has to be Spy Hunter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Doom did change the way i looked at games alright but the game that did it for me was shaddow of the beast on the òl amiga. Such a suprise to see arcade type graphics and sound on a home computer. Well at the time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

Id say streets of rage on the megadrive (good ol mega games 1 cartridge) and second to that rock n roll racing - the best racing game ever
    while were on the subject does anyone remember a game called technician ted, it came with one of the amstrads, it had the best music ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

There was an arcade game in the airport about 13 years ago. I loved it. Everytime i went to pick my dad up I'd play it for ages. I can't remember the name but it had something to do with fantasy and demons and dragons... I was a Zelda like Knight..

Also DOOM... i played it on a PC around the same time and that is what changed me for ever more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I say Elite.
    Either that or Syndicate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

LLamatron for it hooked me up to my LSD trips..very influential :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    There was an arcade game in the airport about 13 years ago. I loved it. Everytime i went to pick my dad up I'd play it for ages. I can't remember the name but it had something to do with fantasy and demons and dragons... I was a Zelda like Knight..

I remember they had rastan in the airport, was that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

First ever computer game i played was centipede on the good ol Spectrum ZX. What a game!! And the loading sequence.
    ON the Commodore there was this legendary game called Buggy Boy. But so many really on the Commodore!!

Arcade: has to be Wonderboy..no other game made me pour as many 10p pieces into it. Ah remenisce!

Console well it has to be the mario bros on the nintendo!!
    Mariokart on the Snes. Was never into fighting games!!
    Shadowrun was another legend. Play that every now and then on the pc (snes emulator) for nostalgia reasons!!!

On the PC well it was 688 Attack Sub on the old 286 I had!! Super addictive game!!

Ah fond memories.. I think I feel a tear in my eye!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Doom has an option to play via COM ports (I think that is what it was) - or it may have even given the option of MODEM. It's been a while.

Just needed to enter the mate tel no and off it went with 14.4 modems by the way. The worst lag was from our crap machines 486SX with 4MB.

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

PC

Wolfenstein, Then Doom, Quake, Half life

Consoles

Streets of Rage 1, Street Fighter 2, MK2

I played Doom Multiplayer via Com Ports aswell, I was speechless for the first 5 minutes...then i remember thinking this is the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

No ones mentioned Road Rash yet! What an ace game. Spent months of my life on my big brothers 386pc with that stupid game. Must re-install it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Road Rash ... now taht brings back memorys!!

I should give a mention to tetris .. I still play that game
    I bought it in 6th class .. that was nearly 11 years ago now

I remember Bryan McFadden (from westlife) had it and he used to have the best score in the school .. then I total kicked his ass on it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

First games on PC were Granp Prix and lynx golf.
    Loved Cannon Fodder on my amiga. The intro was class.
    Also streets of rage on Mega drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Pong and Space Invaders. Before that there was very little in the way of games...

I'm so old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Double Dragon was one of the first games I played on a regualr Basis....

Star Wars also was pretty influential - you know th old one you used to sit in (Vector graphics) and it would say "Use the force Luke"

Other games include:
    Choplifter (I remeber Peter Cetera "Glory of Love" was always on the radio when I played this game)...
    Wonderboy in Monster Land
    Bubble Bobble
    Street Fighter II

Advertisement