Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Influential Game??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ah i totally forgot

Samurai shodown 4 (arcade)
    Caddilacs and dinasours (arcade) <
    brilliant
    There wa sthis peter pan game , i loved it , then it disapeared .
    Doom has an option to play via COM ports (I think that is what it was) - or it may have even given the option of MODEM. It's been a while.

right , thanks duke .

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Toss up between Indy Jones Fate of atlantis, Fontier Elite and a game called Exile, for which I'd only the cover demo for, and for which I could never find a full copy of. You played as this little spaceman, in a side on 2d environment with l33t physics. Required so much skill and patience to do anything, I must have pushed that demo to its limits, getting in nooks and crannies I wasn't supposed to. Like Frontier Elite it taught me that simulations rather than scripted events were so much more interesting in the long run (also taught me you have to be a patient bastard and put alot of effort into things to get joy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

First Game Owned? Centipide on A2600

Most Influental Game, FF7.
    I had no experience of the other Final Fantasy Games.

Now Squaresoft games take up the largest portion of my Game-book shelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

fighting games; Street fighter 2

racing games; mario kart

space gaming; elite

rpg; FF7...(what else comes close!)

fps; Doom

Adventure; Tomb Raider I

ground breaking games

AI; TOCA, Half-Life, Medievil Total War
    Graphics; Quake, Gran Turismo,
    Level Design; Tomb Raider, Half Life

imho...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Doom showed me that games could be scary and introduced me to online multiplayer (outside of MUDs).

Final Fantasy VII showed me that games could induce emotions other than fear, could tell stories better than films and introduced me properly to Japanese RPGs.

Soul Calibur showed me that the beat'em'up could move into 3D and actually be better rather than worse for it.

ICO showed me the games haven't lost their magic or ability to amaze, even in the middle of multi-million pound blockbuster titles being churned off the production line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

From an arcade standpoint, it's gotta be Rygar (anyone remember that :p - I'm old) - I still remember the euphoria when I actually finished the game. It must have cost me a fortune now that I look back on it.
    On PC, the most influential game for me was Doom II - It was the first pc game that ever made me "pull a sicky" to play it. (Not that I still do that - hehe)

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Ahh the memories, I just remembered the amount of time/money I wasted on golden axe in the arcade many many years ago. Such an addictive game. The mortal kombat series were good too, and let's not forget virtua fighter!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It has to be FF7. It made me look at life differently. Also it really affected my Leaving Cert results. At the moment Xenogears is doing the same to my 3rd year 1st semester results.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Secret of Monkey Island
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade/Fate of Atlantis
    Wolfenstein
    Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

http://www.nemmelheim.de/exile/exile-mission.html

L33t, a fansite on exile.

Even better:
    http://www.back2roots.org/
    lets you download it, ecs (better) or aga (fancier graphics). They have it legally up until June of this year. Use WinUAE to play it. Requires a bit of dicking about with the settings to get running fast, but it works no problem for me now. I'm in reto heaven. Thanks to Kairo for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shadow of the Beast on A500. Nothing big now, but spectacular graphics at the time.

Chaos Engine
    Indy and the last crusade.
    Championship Manager - first game that wasted hours of my life :D
    Wipeout 2097 - Introduced me to the wonders of the Playstation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Elite on the C64

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Pacman/Space Invaders... the start of it all. Yes, I'm that old :p

Elite.... changed the way I thought about 3d worlds in "cyberspace"

Gauntlet... one of the first really multi-user games (as opposed to head to head).... God I rocked at that game :)
    If anyone wonders where the Gauntlet machine from Eden Quay went to... I bought it.

Doom... nuff said though not as big a shock to me as some because I'd been playing Elite... still, it was a seismic event!

Quakeworld... first time we really started to see multiplayer net-play. Also a sense of community. If I had to be entirely honest this was the biggest game for me because Boards.ie wouldnt exist if it hadnt been made.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh yes, almost forgot Descent!

Descent was doing full 3d gaming when Doom was still in 2.5d... unfortunately not many people could handle the vomit-inducing freedom of it...

I loved it, played it for days on end... great while you are feeling um, relaxed...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

GTA3 was the most influential game for me, it influcance me to go on killing sprees and to get involved with organised crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

wolf 3d, kickstarted my love affair with fps's:)

super mario kart, best 2 player game ever, bar none!

super metroid, best singleplayer game ever (imho)

oh yeah, honourable mentions to speedball 2 & the chaos engine

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Hi guys,

if it is pre PC and early 80's then it must be:
    * F14 (or was it F19 - flight sym on C64)
    * Apache Gunship (Sinclair ZX 128 +2)
    * Start Glider (Sinclair ZX 128 +2)

Both ZX games used the vector graphic engine to its limits. In gun ship you could fly right up to a tank and see it... now that was cool and all with 8.33Hrz (yes, Hrz no MHrs!!) and 128kb (and again, KB not MB) - now the guys in those days, they could code.

The Duke : ))

Advertisement