Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vianetworks soho dsl

Options
  • 08-01-2003 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere. In summary

ViaNetworks - Connections €165 + VAT
    SoHo Product, 512K downstream, 128K upstream €99 incl vat.

http://www.vianetworks.ie/adsl.html

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Now this is interesting, (yes I know it is still far more expensive then we should have to pay, but I'm desperate now).

I assume this is Via reselling Eircoms Bitstream ADSL product?

Does it have a cap?

Does it suffer from the same latency problems as Eircom?

What is the contract like (12 month etc.)?

Is the ADSL Modem ethernet or USB?

If the answers to the above questions are positive, then this could make an okay alternative to Eircom ADSL for people with no other option.

bk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I rang VIA sales this evening, i spoke to a nice lady who amazingly had a clue as to what adsl was and where its available and when it mite become available out side of dublin, thats right folks its only available in Dublin so far :(, but its covering around 85% of dublin so thats not so bad and its cheaper than Eircom :)

Paul

[edit]
    just rang again :), there is no download CAP and its re-selling eircom product, bitstream i think she said, so she said "we have our pipes etc for bandwidth" :)

Also asked (rang a third time heh) is there contract, she said "No you can opt out at any time."

Excellent, good move from VIA IMO.

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Based on what they told me by phone when enquiring about the full package ....

I assume this is Via reselling Eircoms Bitstream ADSL product?
    Yup

Does it have a cap?
    Yup

Does it suffer from the same latency problems as Eircom?
    No idea, haven't heard/read of anyone who actually got it.

What is the contract like (12 month etc.)?
    12 months. I went for eircom in the end (and nearly cried) coz I thought I'd have a better chance of getting out of contract if I moved

Is the ADSL Modem ethernet or USB?
    The one they quoted was a Zytel ethernet modem

.cg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So basically it is exaclty the same as Eircom but you save EUR 7, yippe :mad:

BTW the prices quoted here
    seem to be wrong:
    The Full package costs just €169 (plus VAT) per month, and the SoHo product €71.58 per month (plus VAT - €99).

€71.58 comes out at about EUR 86.6118, not EUR 99. I assume the EUR 99 is the correct price and the ex Vat price is €81.58.

I suppose if you go with Via, at least Eircom lose out on EUR 30.

BTW does anyone know if you get this or Eircoms ADSL, do you still pay line rental?
    What about Esat ADSL?

bk

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Also asked (rang a third time heh) is there contract, she said "No you can opt out at any time."

Hmmm, they clearly told me it was a 12 month contract (I explained it was rented accommodation). I got the contract and Section 3 says "This Agreement shall commence on the Ready for Service date and shall be for a minimum period of twelve calendar months from this date (RFS Date)". I would have loved to have gone with them. ESat spent 3 weeks and >10 calls (from me to them) to figure out that Terenure exchange wasn't upgraded at the time but was due to be in the first week or two of Jan (and then expect a 5-week lead time)... its gas really

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bk
    BTW does anyone know if you get this or Eircoms ADSL, do you still pay line rental?
    What about Esat ADSL?

Yes I was told for both Eircom and VIA (but who knows!).

ESat told me that they were only doing line share (back in Dec), and so you pay eircom for line and use their voice service (or any other service providor you want.. funnily he mentioned eircom and ntl but not ESat!). They were to start unbundling lines fully for the service where you could opt to have a voice service at an extra fee (never mentioned what this was) or have no voice service on the line and no rental fee. So its a bit vague to be reliable but he did say no extra line rental for unbundled lines the quoted price was all that you paid. Now whether or not they are unbundling lines now, I don't know. When I rang back in Dec I was under the impression that they had started already, but that particular chap said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I ordered Esat in late November and they offered either "line share", where you continue to pay line rental to eircom and can have voice on the same line, or "unbundled" where the line is completely taken over by Esat and there is no extra line rental, but it can only be used for data.

Still waiting for installation....."19 working days" long over.......grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

"Does it suffer from the same latency problems as Eircom?
    No idea, haven't heard/read of anyone who actually got it."

Interleaving switched on, which eircom doesn't regard as latency problems. I'm pretty sure that they've got it switched on aswell which makes them just as uninteresting as eircom. Same **** different folder :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Someone said they would be coming up with a residential product some time in January, any word on this?

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Someone said they would be coming up with a residential product some time in January, any word on this?

Oh, I thought this was it! I know that there was no SOHO offering back in December, so as it was new I assumed this was it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Its still an utterly ridiculous price but as an aside I quite like this quote from their website:

512K downstream, and 128K upstream. Just to give you and idea of the speeds involved, you will be able to download a 1 megabyte file in 8 seconds with the Full package, and 16 seconds with the SoHo product - which is up to eight times faster than the ISDN "HiSpeed" available from eircom.

Advertisement