Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Linkin Park Manufactured ?

Options
  • 08-01-2003 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I was just reading what thrax wrote in some other post .
    Linkin Park make it their policy never to swear in any of their songs, or rather their record company make it Linkin Parks policy never to swear in any of their songs.
    I dunno what he means by "their record company make it their policy" Linkin Park , back in the day , did not have chester in the band and songs like "forgotten" & "a place for my head" were made b4 they were signed with a record deal . And now just cause little kids are going around wearing linkin park hoodies doesnt mean they are basing their songs on them . They are gonna continue to do what they set off to do , make music , regardles off the "**** u"
    "**** me " "i just dont give a ****"`s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ive heard (but cant confirm so dont quote me here) that they were made on an american 'popstars' kinda show, but im not sure about that and honestly dont really care as their music really doesnt appeal to me :)
    But at least they arent overly big headed in their fame (unlike a certain durst fellow).

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Well they aren't your average 'garage band' and thats for sure. They were brought together by their record company who were interested in applying the 'boyband' model to a contemporary rock band. And it worked. I think they albun 'hybrid theory' was the biggest selling album in the states of 2001.

Personally, i think they're crap.........:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ive heard (but cant confirm so dont quote me here) that they were made on an american 'popstars' kinda show

I'd imagine that's what's known as an urban myth.

There was a gap in the market, it was filled, money was made. It's called capitalism and it's how the western world works, if you want rid of Linkin Park, I'd imagine they aren't too big in China...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Well they aren't your average 'garage band' and thats for sure. They were brought together by their record company who were interested in applying the 'boyband' model to a contemporary rock band. And it worked. I think they albun 'hybrid theory' was the biggest selling album in the states of 2001.

your wrong there , the dj and mike , set up a band them selves and then they got a guitarist and bassist , the record comapny set em up with chester . They were originaly called hybrid theory , they had to change their name to linkin park cause of some legal reasons .

I dont really know if they are manufactured , its just that too many people are going around saying it cause of the fame they have , one step closer was shown on mtv and that started everything i guess . Dont really care if they are manufactured , they sound great .

Plus too be NON manufactured they should probably just add "**** u " to satisy alot of people .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I dunno what he means by "their record company make it their policy" Linkin Park , back in the day , did not have chester in the band and songs like "forgotten" & "a place for my head" were made b4 they were signed with a record deal . And now just cause little kids are going around wearing linkin park hoodies doesnt mean they are basing their songs on them

No but they're basing their marketing around them. "Back in the day" I bet their mommys told them what to wear and say as well... just now its their stylists, publicists, managers, record executives, mtv image consultants etc.

• Advertisement

"Back in the day" I bet their mommys told them what to wear and say as well

Folks , This is what we call constructive criticism .

Buy your Linkin Park "KIDDY" posters here for 10.99 . Under 13 only !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I heard their record label chose their name, so they would be next to limp bizkit in alphabetized music sections, and that they were called Hybrid Theory before that. But that might not be accurate, as I can't remember where I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Placebo
    Folks , This is what we call constructive criticism .

I could give constructive criticism if I felt it worth my while, but if you like a band that emphasise style and production over any sort of musical and lyrical talent than fine.

But to give you something short to argue about anyway..

See Reanimation as a pure example of market driven product to achieve a wider audience, an absolutely terrible collection of mixes, and even names like Chali2na (poor bastard hits a new low) can't even dress it up as even half-decent hip-hop.

Which leads me to the next point, on Hybrid Theory (and yes I have listened to the albums as cringworthy to my ears as they are), there are these disgustingly almost last minute scratchs and attempted raps put in what over would have been otherwise an average rock album, albeit a completly unoriginal one and in their misguided attempt to be different, they have just fallen into a hole which the current fad of "marketable teen-metal" covers nicely.

Now perhaps they truely are a talented bunch of kids, but nothing I've heard gives me that impression, nor any semblance of respect towards them or the market force which has propelled them.

well , when you put it that way , it makes much more sense , your right about reanimation but i like "my december" , " runaway" and "pushing me away" featuring steven richards from taproot.

I borrowed hybrid theory off a friend and it seemed like an album which had a lot of effort put into it
    almost last minute scratchs and attempted raps put in what over would have been otherwise an average rock album, albeit

i tend to disagree at many levels here , but its probably gonna end up as in " whatever floats your boat"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If you like it, listen to it. You don't need other peoples blessing.

• Advertisement

I posted this cause i wanted to know why people thought they were manufactured and by that i ment besides their image .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well in that case...

I don't know much about them. But from what I've heard, they probably started off as a band with the best of intentions and along the way gave in to the record companies demands. Now they're just MTV-Filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're not manufactured, the band existed long before they were signed, then they got Chester in to sing.

That said, I think they're ****, they're overproduced lapdogs for their record company. Just like most of the 'metal' promoted right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Originally posted by Placebo
    your wrong there , the dj and mike , set up a band them selves and then they got a guitarist and bassist , the record comapny set em up with chester . They were originaly called hybrid theory , they had to change their name to linkin park cause of some legal reasons .

I know why they were renamed to Linkin Park. Firstly, the record company saw the massive success of Limp Bizkit and decided to give them a name beginning with L so that the bands cds would be seen by people looking for Limp Bizkit cds. They basically picked the letter L so that their cds would be placed next to Limp Bizkit's albums in record shops.

They also named them Linkin Park to make Americans think that the band might be local, as practically every American town has a "Licoln Park" in it. Plus the name sounds patriotic(ish. Abraham Licoln and all that.)

Also Chester bennington is a big n'sync styled loser. The record company obviously picked him because he would appeal to those boyband kids who spend millions every year on tat. Which brings us to the reason Hybrid Theory were ok with the record companys interference: Money. If they were any other decent band they would have told the company to go fuck themselves, but they were sellouts and they made loads and loads of money and now they don't care how shit their music is, as long as they remain millionaires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

or they like the music they are making.. and want to make more of it?

revolutionary thinking here I know, but stil.. dwell on that thought for a few minutes

that doesn't justify re-animation though..I don't think anything can.

also
    firstly, the record company saw the massive success of Limp Bizkit and decided to give them a name beginning with L so that the bands cds would be seen by people looking for Limp Bizkit cds. They basically picked the letter L so that their cds would be placed next to Limp Bizkit's albums in record shops.

that is on par with the kennedy assasination conspiracy theories.

and afaik they did name it linkin park cos of every town having a "lincoln park "or something,k i read it in an interview of theirs on kerrang back when they were new, i don't see anything wrong with that.. so it's not incredibly imaginative.. ffs who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Are Linkin Park Manufactured ?

In a recent press conference the band were posed with this question. the band (sporty park, posh park, ginger park, Scary park and pig face park) collectively responsed

no comment. ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

does it actually matter how a band came into being?

are you that worried about it?

does it actually make a big difference tothe way you feel about their music?

hell, i think some of westlife's songs are catchy and i hum them occassionally (when i cant get the kylie songs out) and they are manufactured.
    hell, kylies manufactured.

what does it matter.
    now, if they were to start playing some music that i considered good, then i'd even start to listen to them...

Nah , i dont care what any one thinks , i still like em but i was just wondering why people thought they were manufactured or whatever , which brings me to this point
    If they were any other decent band they would have told the company to go **** themselves
    What did the record company ask them to do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    does it actually make a big difference tothe way you feel about their music?

I'd say it makes a big difference to a lot of people. People get something out of knowing that a band aren't simply putting out music to make money for their record company. With the amount of indipendant labels and distributors out there, and a lot of bands self-releasing albums themselves... I'd say its kinda reasuring to a lot of people. Myself included.

Is that to say that if Kylie was an indipendant artist I'd listen to her? No. I'm just saying that it's a bit of an extra in the music that you do like to know that the music is how the band wrote it, and wanted it to be heard as, as apposed to it being written for them by someone who is only there to make money for the company and a No.1 hit, nothing else.

But I'd bet that if Kylie was indipendant, she'd sound a hell of a lot different from what you know her as WWMan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

the reason people call them manafactured is because they are ****...just ****.
    Anyone that has been into this genre for any amount of time naturally gets into the better and lesser known bands and when that happens it gives good clarity when listening to something like linkin park, regardless of where the inspiration for the music came from, the music is ****.

But, I can't say they sold out, just because they have a bad taste in music.....they made stupid metal by numbers, were offered a contract and took it.

If you were in a **** band (and I'd imagine you could be) and thought you were fabulous and were offered a contract you'd jump at it, while still retaining your "artistic integrity"...no matter how **** an artist you are.

• Advertisement

Sorry but you just speaking **** .
    And it would be nice if you didnt use ****ing or **** in all your sentences .
    the reason people call them manafactured is because they are

Its called manufactured and its not because they are *******
    its just cause of them being on tv so much and little kids going around labeling themselves .
    Anyone that has been into this genre for any amount of time naturally gets into the better and lesser known bands and when that happens it gives good clarity when listening to something like linkin park, regardless of where the inspiration for the music came from, the music is ****.

So lets take Lostprophets for example , few years back they were not known at all , they probably didnt have a good/no record deal . so this would put them in the "better" category .

Now lets say after years of hard work they get a record deal from sony and lets say their music appeals to whole range of people and lets just say mtv loves them , NOW does this make them **** ? or does it make your point **** ?

What the **** is the deal with all this ****ing cursing?

Linkin Park are abominably ****ing ****. End of story.

[ModEdit]Naughty Thrax, do that again, and you shall reveive a slap.[/ModEdit]

And so are Lost Prophets. They aren't lost enough. They should get lost.

Some respect here please . *SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP*

slap frenzy i say .

Lostprophets are brilliant . What type of music are you into thrax ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

You obviously didn't get what I said, and yes lostprophets are completely boolex.

The thing I said about the clarity meant that when someone like me looks at linkin park I see how **** they are cause I've been through my "limp bizkit aren't ****" phase, I've learnt my lesson, I've paid the price.

These bands you listen to are crap, and strikingly obvious, get some originality, listen to different music...get a life.

placebo are **** aswell.

These bands you listen to are crap, and strikingly obvious, get some originality, listen to different music...get a life.

How is listning to diffrent music going to change my life ? i have a perfectly good life . How does one get a life ?

Music i listen to is strikingly obvious ? So what you are trying to suggest is that i should listen to bands not on tv ?

Placebo are brilliant , when i say this i think every open minded person would agree .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by goo
    You obviously didn't get what I said, and yes lostprophets are completely boolex.

The thing I said about the clarity meant that when someone like me looks at linkin park I see how **** they are cause I've been through my "limp bizkit aren't ****" phase, I've learnt my lesson, I've paid the price.

placebo are **** aswell.

lovely stuff goo, now tell him how **** his Avatar is!!!!, tell him that his sig is nothing compared to yours...I like your opinion goo, it seems to blow out so much crap outta your ass and on on to this page...THE WORLD WANTS TO HEAR MORE!!!!

*on topic, Linkin Park have good production and PR staff, certainly a help to there success but doesnty mean they are manufactured...well (take note here goo) in my opion anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Goo is temp banned for being an abusive muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by SearrarD
    tell him that his sig is nothing compared to yours

Well he'd be telling the truth! His sig is nothing compared to goo's. Mainly because placebo doesn't have a sig .... but all this is irrelevant.

Are Linkin Park manufactured? I would say so. It's all well and good to say they're were 'a band' before they got picked up by Warner, but couldn't most boyband members equally claim they were plugging away at the entertainment industry in one way or another before they got their big break?

Just because you sang a note or picked up an instrument before your Svengali came in to molded you into a marketable act doesn't mean you can legitimise your current position so easily.

All I would say is that it is more than a little suspicious when a bands debut record becomes the biggest seller of the year. Plus the fact that Hybrid Theory producer Don Gilmores most notable previous assignment was with 'Sugar Ray' (remember them?) doesn't really help them in the legitimacy stakes either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Open minded? wtf.

Why would I have to be open minded? And besides, Placebo are exactly the same as the others. A lot of people i've met worship them like mindless robots without any reason except that other people do. Which is stupid. Its not like they have a message they're trying to send out, and if there is the only I can think of is "im so great, I slept with some dude/chiq yesterday, hedonism forever".

Listen to something like Opeth. Who are popular because of their talent, not because of media hype. And Iced Earth. Or something.

Advertisement