Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DeVore response

• 08-01-2003 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I post this thread to try and get a civil response from Tom Murphy regarding the accusations pointed at CD Media Ireland today.

In reference to the 3 emails I sent today, I would appreciate a response.

Chris Griffin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

what are the accusations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I presume the user CMI is talking about this post here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CMI

Slydice

Your response - the card thingy - is an example of how that thread is giving CMI a bad reputation. The initial thread you have linked to was not initiated by CMI - that is what I want to make clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, and voice it. And DeVore did just that, he even said "In my opinion"

CD Media are a bunch of cheap ass, annoying spamming muppets. My opinion, and can voice it anywhere I want.

So, go f uck yourselves you arse bandits (another opinion of mine) :)

Now Mr. Tom Murphy, you have called me a muppet on many occasions, and I demand you reply here regarding the accusations pointed towards me.

Bubbles

I agree that everyone should be able to voice their opinion - but they also should be able to be responsible for that opinion and retract it if they are wrong.

Your comments are unfounded and based solely on the initial thread. Again I am disputing that CMI had anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you want to publicly request an answer from someone the rest of us (the public) would like it if you referenced your problem to some tangible info.

Leeroybrown

The truth of the matter is that i am only posting here as I cannot get a reponse from DeVore through private means.

DeVore is aware of my issues. But Slydice is correct when he says that it refers to that thread.

So you are disputing that CMI had anything to do with earlier 'spamming' incidents?

Must be some mysterious person out there plugging your company out of the goodness of their heart. Don't you hate when that happens?

Anyway, can you not wait a few days for a reply from DeVore.. I'm sure he has far more important things to do than to offer you an explanation you think you deserve.

BTW Mr. Tom Murphy, I've waited over 5 minutes now for a responce regarding the accusations pointed towards me. If you do not reply immediately with a responce I will have to 'spam' a few boards demanding it. How dare you ignore me.

I'm just pointing out that normally anything that is aired on a public forum on boards.ie is public territory. We like to be a nicely informed group before we argue but failing that it's still fun.

Boards.ie has always displayed distain for any companies trying to illicitly advertise. Boards.ie is also the kind of place where peoples posts can be judged based on their past behaviour. Why should any credance be given a post when there is a history of aggrivation?

Bubbles

I have admitted to DeVore that there were unauthorised incidents by CMI staff on this board. When DeVore alerted me to these, they were dealt with - harshly (by me). Therefore I know that CMI had nothing to do with any recent issues.

I have apologised for these. But I can't sit by and see CMI accused for all incidents.

• Advertisement

Leeroybrown

As I just said to bubbles, I do not condone actions by my staff against the wishes of any organisation - Boards.ie included. I must however ask that boards.ie investigate issue before they publically redicule my company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Six posts and you're already a pain in the hole - why don't you stop posting replies every four seconds and wait a while until Mr. Tom Murphy decides he's good and ready to reply to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by CMI
    Bubbles

I have admitted to DeVore that there were unauthorised incidents by CMI staff on this board.

TBH actions cause opinions to be formed - and there's nothing wrong with anyone voicing their opinions once formed.

By your own admittance here there have been 'incidents' and so don't be surprised if there are opinionated repercussions on that matter.

I'll also add that publicly coming on and demanding your satisfaction from Dev is also creating another opinion....of you. Just to mention that :)

What is needed here is a deuling glove:

*Slap* - Sir I challange you to a deul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

/Damo draws up a stool.

CMI

When your staff who work for CD Media Ireland go around plugging your website, how can we not consider this an action which you should be held accountable for.

Seeing as how they mainly post during Irish Daytime Work hours (which are the hours you presumably work during) and also post during, should we not believe that therefore they are posting from your company.

If then, they both work for your company, and post from it. Does this not present to us (the boards.ie users) the impression that they are indeed being told to do so by you?

It seems you have a total lack of discipline in your company if you have already warned the people responsible and it looks like you have justifiable cause to make them jobless, does it not?

Slydice

I am in total agreement with you. When these infringements were executed by my staff - without my permission - a few months ago, it was grounds for dismissal. When I was alerted to these actions the people responsibile left the company and it was stated strongly to those who were left that these actions would not be condoned.

I have no issue with Boards.ie taking a very stern stance with CMI for the actions last year. However, CMI are not involved in the recent incidents and all I want is for this to be stated.

We are a new company, as yes we have made mistakes - and I take responsibility for the actions of all my staff (past & present), but I also have a reponsibility to insure that CMI is not unduely effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'm giving this thread a 5 star rating and turning on Email Notification :)

Originally posted by CMI
    I have no issue with Boards.ie taking a very stern stance with CMI for the actions last year. However, CMI are not involved in the recent incidents and all I want is for this to be stated.

But how do you know, didn't DeVore mention that he had to block some sort of anonymiser service?

That means it could have been people in your workplace, who didn't want to be traced!

Maybe you should make an announcement tommorrow to re-affirm that you don't want anymore of this underhanded business?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus Christ, I'm not a 24 hour a day Admin you know.

1. I havent responded to your post because ... I HAVE A LIFE. I also have a job which has nothing to do with Boards.ie

2. We got SO tired of killing your company spam that we just got used to nuking the user from on high, deleting every post they ever made with a script and banned their asses. Its been at least a monthly occurance.

So I can only point you at threads which have been edited by us, most of the threads have been deleted.
    We were keeping it quiet because its nothing new but today was just the biscuit as its been at least 3 new account this week alone!
    (DaithiDaithi, domgal and Markus)

3. Yes, you wrote to me some months ago and explained that everything was going to be cool and you had sorted it. I replied politely at the time as I thought maybe we had had a break through.
    But its been happening ever since albeit with about a months break. So I figured you guys were back to your old routine, hence today after ANOTHER guardian angel of your company paid us another fairy-visit from the land of wink-wink I decide to mail you and tell you to call them off or things would go a lot worse for you then for us.

Now, if you dont know about it, fine. I REALLY dont care. But I find it hard to believe that people who sign up, and who ALL use an anonymiser (via Poland) and who's first posts are immediate attacks on Komplett or advertisments for your site (with LINKS!) that this is some fairy sales-godmother come to do you a favour.

Now, I'm tracking things at the moment and trying to get you HARD evidence (ie: a directly link to one person). One of them signed up from a daveivers.com email address (Some soccer site), you could think about that for start. I can track the others through the Polish webcache but its going to take a LOT of time and effort which if I have to invest I will bill you for? Agreed? I charge up to 1000 Euro a day by the way, I can show you invoices to prove that.
    Someone spent a good deal of time thinking about how to make themselves as difficult to track as possible to do this, but its not impossible.

DeVore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would agree with Devore about this. First off, he's not the kind of guy to go around accusing people of something like this without being sure and having evidence to back it up.

Second, do you not think it's very strange that three accounts in one week are created from the same hostname/anon proxy and ALL are extolling the virtues of your dubious sounding company?

Either someone REALLY has it in for your company, or your staff have no cop on or respect for your wishes if you're the boss and have told them to quit this. Maybe you should think about disciplinary actions, after all, they're bringing you into disrepute.

Or you could have just blocked boards.ie and anonymisers (which most companies do block) when this all started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by CMI
    CD Media Ireland
    I'm just wondering. Do you have the legal right to use this title, as it appears to be neither a company name nor a registered business name? www.cro.ie And isn't illegal to trade under a name other than your own, without one of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

So are there any Jobs going soon? :D

On a serious note, he "seems" genuine, but all the evidence put forward looks very convincing that you were perfectly aware of this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

I work in the Company's Registration Office (CRO), as far as I know if they are trading from another country through a website they don't need to be a registered company. All they need is a VAT number. I'll look into it more when I go back on Friday.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps Mr CDMedia is genuine, I really dont care a huge amount. In fact I'd imagine he's completely unaware of it unless he's an astoundingly brass-necked liar. But all the protestations of innocences in the world mean jack.
    We still have to clean up after their fanboys are done.

However, I'll see what I can dig up through one means or another. God help the person on the other end of any info I find on them.

By the way CMI, I read your mails this evening when I got back to my desk and filed them in the "can be looked at tomorrow" folder. Your first was at 2:30pm so its hardly like I left you hanging for days now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Maj. TightAss

Originally posted by Dazzer
    I work in the Company's Registration Office (CRO), as far as I know if they are trading from another country through a website they don't need to be a registered company. All they need is a VAT number. I'll look into it more when I go back on Friday.
    It appears they operate from Ireland: their website (which I won't post a link to but it's fairly easy to work out) is registered to Leigh Byrne who lives in Dublin. This and more detailed information can be found by doing a WHOIS on their domain name. You can perform a WHOIS here. Mr Byrne, or someone purporting to be him, has posted on boards.ie before. You can check out one of his highly intelluctal posts here :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

if anyone is interested

And if anyone has an IP for them:

American
    Europe
    Asian

I know most ppl have the links but it would be interesting to see the results if someone wants to post them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Email notifications turned on for this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

My god DeVore sounds p****ed off.

So unlike him. I must agree with Dev though. Probably because I did read eth0_ post right after it and makes good sense.

Hope ya find him Dev(don't kill him by the way, we don't want you arrested and the Boards going down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Runfree
    (don't kill him by the way, we don't want you arrested and the Boards going down).

Crime of passion, he'd be out in a couple of weeks and with prisons the way they are at least he'll get free 24hr webaccess while he's in there. :)

Awww CMI has gone all quiet. You know its so hard to find someone to have a decent argument with these days, they always run off.

What are the odds that some poor ****ers get fired today? Another leech added to the dole.... hopfully they have a wife and kids who would go hungry over this. That will teach you to post to boards.ie!

I for one will loose many hours of sleep over this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Kudos fanboys, kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by Maj. TightAss
    It appears they operate from Ireland: their website (which I won't post a link to but it's fairly easy to work out) is registered to Leigh Byrne who lives in Dublin.

Again a complete coicidence

HERE again must be the fairy-sales-mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, I'd like to know where the useful links stop and the advertisment links start.

for example, now Komplette can pretty much advertise away on their won board, and thats fine. i guess they pay for it so why not. however, if someone puts up a link to something else in a topic discussion, is that immediate advertisement for a competitor?
    should it be banned, or should it be left as useful information to say you can get something cheaper somewhere else.

now CMI, before you go jumping on my bandwagon, i dont agree with your methods. or the methods of your staff as you say you are unaware. i will give you doubt benefits. but heres a solution. why dont you also buy yourself a forum?
    or alternatively, you could ask your people not to post. at the end of the day, unless you are willing to sack someone for posting during daytime hours, theres not a lot you can do, and they can always post here if they want to. to me, the fact that a lot of trouble has been made to mask addresses would suggest to me that they do not want to be found out, not perhaps by Boards.ie users, but more perhaps by you.
    after all, youve had this discussion before, and while this is essentially and open minded little namd of several thousand users, we do get annoyed at people taking the mick. and several thousand users can give a company a bad name.
    no thats not a threat, im sure you understand business better than i do. word of mouth is a powerful advertisment, or detractor...

i would suggest that you dont make DeVore go though the long search. I would suggest you mail your staff and ask them not to do it again.
    I would suggest that if you want to advertise here, you pay for the privilage, and if you can beat Komplette on price, then you have nothing to worry about. at the end of the day after all, people will buy the cheapest available item, and value add counts for very little.

and i would suggest that you stop posting here until you have talked to Devore, who quiet rightly does have a life and doesnt stop it because someone wants a píssing contest on a bullitan board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

BESTEST THRED EVAR!!! icon14.gif
    Do you have the legal right to use this title,

Nice site. Bookmarked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Victor
    I'm just wondering. Do you have the legal right to use this title, as it appears to be neither a company name nor a registered business name? www.cro.ie And isn't illegal to trade under a name other than your own, without one of these?

According to IRION.com (Irish Information Online - the companies registrar database is there) - there is NO company in Ireland with "CD Media" or "CDMedia" in its name. There may be legal issues with using the name "CMI" for trading as the name may be legally claimed by CMI Asset Management, CMI Corporation, CMI Electrical, or others.

It looks to me like somebody running a business out of their garage. ... not that that's a bad thing!- I know of a few very well run professional business that work in just the same way. However it also seems, in this case, that this is a bunch of inexperienced young people running quite an amateur venture which, in all probability, won't last terribly long, and is possibly trading illegaly and not registered as a company or for VAT. In fairness, and not that it makes it 'right' or anything, but that's not terribly unusual these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobbes
    BESTEST THRED EVAR!!! icon14.gif
    Nice site. Bookmarked.
    Want to do a card? The pic should be a very big hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

if you know the url this is handy for tracing,

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

nothing like a good muppet hunt :D

Originally posted by Sposs
    if you know the url this is handy for tracing,

http://visualroute.visualware.com/

^^^ hours of fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Im with Logic1 all the way on this one.

Damn right you are.

.logic.

Funny, he screams at me for a response within a few hours of mailing me, but has gone all quiet now.

Well, I'm done with this. I'm not going to spend my time tracking down someone only to find its some snotnosed kid in his office.
    And demands for an apology are falling on deaf ears as we've been the victims here.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Victor
    Want to do a card? The pic should be a very big hole.

will this one do? :p

More importantly, I'm still waiting for an explanation DeVore....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Patman

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    -snip- and if you can beat Komplette on price -snip-

It's Komplett you big... you big WhiteWashMan you!

/runs along selling more cheap comp stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dev, just a thought but I'd say that your best bet here would be to lock and delete this thread, and any other threads referring to CMI.

They are all forms of indirect advertising and the more people that read them, the more people that might casually visit the CMI site to see what the hell they are all about and see something worthwhile.

The last thing you would want would be for them to get business out of this off pissing.

I am sure everyone is as fed up with this topic as I am. I have kept off this thread to give DeVore a chance to respond to my emails.

As of this point I have not had a direct response, nor have I had any evidence that my comapny was behind the recent threads.

As I have said before - I am not denying that the posts before xmas were wrong - and have been dealt with. However, I do find it disturbing that recent accusations can be made on this board without having any proof.

It is obvious that posters on this thread have already assumed that we are guilty purely on the say so of another member. It is also obvious that any legitimate reference to my company by other members are going to be pre-judged as spam from us.

I am sure that I am not going to get any sort of justice here so I can only ask that DeVore close and delete this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Theres not an infinte amount of 2nd chances
    Theres not an infinite amount of patience

Boy who cried wolf .....

Fool me once ..

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

CMI, the "C" stands for "Cowboy"...

K

• Advertisement