Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Net Introduce 1892 for Dial up

Options
  • 08-01-2003 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

From the end of Feb all you people that dial up using Eircom Net and there local POPS will have to dial up using
    1892 150150 (Same Price for Dial up)
    This has been enforced by Comreg there are trials going on in sligo at the moment and Eircom net are the only ISP to take it up it is not known if others will follow.

advantages - you get to see easily how much you spend online
    disadvantages - you loose you options discount on the local calls.

But they reckon it will be a better service

Boll#x I want cheaper internet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by the Guru
    But they reckon it will be a better service
    Can't imagine why. One disadvantage is that when a pop is down it will no longer be possible to manually divert to an alternative pop. e.g. in Munster no matter which other Eircom pop is broken, the Dungarvan one always seems to work. its great for troubleshooting
    Boll#x I want cheaper internet
    Ya can sing that one, don't we all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Presumably €ircon want to use 1892 as subscribers to CPS carriers can only be billed by Eircom when dialing a number like this.. => 100% profits for €ircon when you dial their number

A local number on the other hand would be billed by your CPS provider (UTV, EsatBT, Cinegi etc.)

Scammers.. At least flat rate is coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

Oh my what a topic! Hows all at Eircom?

1892 is bad peeps very bad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

why would comreg enforce that though, i though they were suposed to be helping. The only cons that I can see are for Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Its mainly to take pressure of the Voice network when it hits the exchange it will be routed to the ISP instead of over the Voice Network I think its not Only Eircom Net all ISP's have been asked to Do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

So it's the exact same price as the 1891 number ? That's a bit pointless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

From the end of Feb all you people that dial up using Eircom Net and there local POPS will have to dial up using
    1892 150150 (Same Price for Dial up)
    This has been enforced by Comreg there are trials going on in sligo at the moment and Eircom net are the only ISP to take it up it is not known if others will follow.
    Can you point us to the ComReg document enforcing this? In the meantime, I suppose the advice is to avoid using Eircom.net as your ISP if this doesn't suit.

http://www.comreg.ie/docs/odtr0112a.doc

You will find the info here and in particular section 3

Thanks, the Guru. Well, it looks like the 1892 code is optional and that ISPs aren't bound to use it:
    POSITION OF THE DIRECTOR
    The Director notes the range of comments from very positive to negative on the allocation of additional codes and number ranges for Internet access. Although packet switched access will become increasingly important, the Director believes that circuit switched access will remain important for a considerable period of time. In that context, it is important that operators and ISPs are provided with options that will facilitate a variety of innovative pricing models.
    The Director believes that new additional options for dial up Internet access with additional pricing and routing options for accessing the Internet would be advantageous to the market, the Director introduces two additional access codes facilitating two broad types of Internet access as follows. [emphasis mine]
    You appeared to be implying that ISPs were being forced by the regulator to utilise these codes.

It appears that Eircom are one of the groups in favour for such codes:
    Eircom believes that the proposed set of models are a useful starting point to analyse the requirements for Internet access codes and for pricing arrangements for calling using these codes.
    eircom believe the introduction of new Internet codes may encourage the migration of the Internet traffic to a NTC for the following reasons.
    • The new access codes and ranges will facilitate implementation of efficient routing to the ISP, particularly where the service is hosted from another network;
    • The settlement on the hosting network will be set at a level using the principles of D9/99 and D4/00, giving a higher settlement the closer the Network-to-Network Interconnect point (NNI) is to the caller. This gives the hosting network the correct build or buy signal, and so leads to economic efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

All other operators have 1892 nos allocated also - see the Number Allocation doc on comreg. Its probably only a matter of time before all ISP's follow suit.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by java
    All other operators have 1892 nos allocated also - see the Number Allocation doc on comreg. Its probably only a matter of time before all ISP's follow suit.
    Fine, but it will be because it suits the ISPs to do so (this is going on the document indicated by the Guru.) Eircom.net are simply the first to opt for it. Naturally enough since this is what their parent company wants.

I might be reading it wrong, but the original post gave the impression that the regulator was forcing ISPs to use these numbers and that Eircom.net was merely the first to comply.

In any case, if you don't like it, stick with those ISPs that aren't using the prefixes. This will give the ISPs some incentive to stick with the existing setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Eircom are doing it to move the traffic from the DLE exchanges - to prepare for FRIACO traffic at DLEs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

just a quick responce to ^CwAzY^'s comment, as far as i know 1892 and 1891 are not charged at the same rate. 1891 is a discounted rate where as 1892 number is just the same price of a local call, i think other ISP's are roughly doing the same but using 1890 number's instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Oh right, so will people with subscription accounts have to pay more for dialup access now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

No the pricing of the 1891 number far as i am aware is still the same and is no way effected by the introducction of the 1892 number. So the sub customers will not have to pay more

Pricing:

Subscription/1891 users are paying 11% more since Nov/Dec 2002 when the discount schemes were removed from identifiable Internet Access calls. In fact, the increase is even more for the majority of "Options" users, as it will reduce the effectiveness of the overall discount scheme.

"Free" users will be paying 11% more once they switch from using local pop numbers to 1892 as 1892 is also excluded from the discount schemes.

Muck highlighted the above some months back, little notice was taken of it here at the time.

Reasons for Implementation:

ComREG have been very keen on the 1892 number for some time. AFAIK, and i read it in one of their documents but I can't remember which, the rational was so that Internet charges for "Free" access would appear as a separate item on the Eircom bill. ComREG has always been keen to enable users control their costs and believes that having the raw billing data is a key element. A good sentiment. in their innocent naivety they obviously didn't anticipate that Eircom would hijack the idea for its own ends.

Eircom's rational is simple. Notwithstanding their fine words, which Skepticone quotes above, they are switching to 1892 simply because it allows them increase their price by 11%

/edit /tot (totally off topic)

The postman has just delivered another fuxking enormous Eircom bill. Right now while i'm in a bloody minded mood i’d like to get a large square FRAICO with sharp jagged edges and shove it up the high hole of Eircom’s arse …………

Originally posted by santalives
    No the pricing of the 1891 number far as i am aware is still the same and is no way effected by the introducction of the 1892 number. So the sub customers will not have to pay more

Thats Correct you can easily tell weather or not you should be on a subscription package by doing a little maths if you are a residental user. just by the Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by De Rebel

The postman has just delivered another fuxking enormous Eircom bill. [/B]

must be 'cos your spending too long on the Boards! Dont blame Philip blame Devore!;)

Thats Correct you can easily tell weather or not you should be on a subscription package by doing a little maths if you are a residental user. just by the Bill
    ...or whether you should be emigrating to Japan ;)

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Eircom's rational is simple. Notwithstanding their fine words, which Skepticone quotes above, they are switching to 1892 simply because it allows them increase their price by 11%
    My purpose in quoting that text was simply to demonstrate that Eircom were in favour of the measure. I am as aware as anyone that (how shall I put it?) their primary reasons for supporting a measure need not always be that which is made public in the text expressing their support for such a measure.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    must be 'cos your spending too long on the Boards! Dont blame Philip blame Devore!;)

true. wouldn't i be better off, and probably saving money skulling pints of Millers in Thomas Reid’s. I wonder which is cheaper by the minute, drinking at temple bar prices or surfing the net courtesy of Eircom.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Ohhh.... is Miller much cheaper in de Bodega then?

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Ohhh.... is Miller much cheaper in de Bodega then?

Wait till ya visit Society, our latest classy pub offering, i'll stand you a pint or two if you ever venture South

i just wanted to get that in before Dustaz appears and bashes us both severely over the head for going way off topic on a very good thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dustaz isn't here so...

Keep it vaguely on topic please folks

This has been coming for some time as people will remember - Eircom made the announcement some while back and I've little doubt that the extra 11% of income is a big factor in the move. Worth remembering though that IOL are also switching from local numbers (to 1890 rather than 1892 as it happens). Very annoying if you've been relying on a secondary POP that isn't local but is charged as local. Esat are pushing the idea that you'll now be able to dial up with a local number from anywhere in the counrty, which will benefit laptop users o the move but won't really help anyone else. Probably not an awful lot than can be done about it TBH.

Will this mean that calls will be diverted to the local POP for the ISP or will all calls be heading for one modem bank in Dublin?

Advertisement