Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Sheffield Utd

• 08-01-2003 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Sheffield Utd 2 Liverpool FC 1

No more than we deserved tbh, fair play to Sheffield Utd. At least we got an away goal which could prove crucial in the return leg. At least this means we will have to attack at home now so some good came of it.....

At least young Mellor got his first senior goal for the club.

*edit* must stop typing "at least"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ahhh, phew. Forgot it was a 2 legger.

G'wan Mellor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Just how bad are Liverpool at the moment. They dont seem able to string any kind of results together at the moment.

Its gonna be very tough now for them to reach the final imho. Sheff Utd seem like a team who can certainly hold their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I would not object to seeing a Blackburn v Sheffield United final. The way the third round of the cup went I would not rule out the FA Cup final having a non premiership team in it either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hee, quite funny tbh! cannot even beat a div 1 team now can we!! Did not actually see it so I cannot say too much

That mellor guy seems a handful, played very well I thought against Newcastle, exactly what ye need, someone with a bit of pride in the jersey.

Owen is reminding more and more of cole by the day, he nearly killed himself when he had that chance in front of goal. I am sure he will come out of it but he is looking less than ordinary at the minate, Gwan the mighty Sheffield

BTW - an article on planetfootball.com yesterday and murphy reckons that the treble is still on and that at least "we are only 7 points behind Manchester United in the league so that is within our grasp"
    Am I wrong or are arse top of the league, so does that mean he reckons that been ahead of United is winning part of the treble and does it prove the point that even the scouse players are more interested in been ahead of us than winning the league!

Just a thought for the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

So who wants a piece of us now, eh? Who's next?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

ye are so bad even the wednesday would have a crack off you.ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

This bad run is turning into a marathon , however its only half time in the Worthy Cup - still 90 mins left so I'd wait to see the result before writing anybody off.

Sheffield played well but to be honest every liverpool game I've watched over the last couple of months, liverpool have been muck. I'm still a liverpool fan but I wish they'd remember how to play football instead of hoofing it up the park to the forwards who in turn lose the ball to the opposition... Frustrating Times .....

Murphys right though the trebles (mathematically) still on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like Mellor is a bit of alright, whats more he usually plays on the left wing. Would be good to have a good attacking left winger again. Bad result but all we have to do is score on at Anfield and keep them out. Not as bad as has been made out.

At least Liverpool are honest about competing I suppose. If United are to be knocked out then there would be calls of, well we weren't really interested in it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    At least Liverpool are honest about competing I suppose. If United are to be knocked out then there would be calls of, well we weren't really interested in it etc.

What??? Liverpool are honest about been ****,well done they deserve a medal for that at least :rolleyes:

Whats the point in guessing as to what Utd would say if they get knocked out? after all i cant see it happening until well maybe next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

United are still at half time too , and have to beat blackburn away - a nil all draw puts rovers through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I cannot see us going through, not unless we change the way we attack them as they have us totally figured with the formation we played the last nite. I think we were to cocky and got caught out.

As for scouse been honest and us not interested..... don;t know where u are coming up with this, we both put out full strenght teams so I cannot see where we can say we were not interested.

If scouse were really honest they should conceed that they are the most one dimensional, heartless brainless team at the minate in the premiership and will not even get to play in the Uefa cup unless the cop on.

As the fans here can say it I cannot for the life of me why houllier seems to stick to the same rubbish week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Ur rite yop i am afraid to say and this will not change until they bring in some decent wingers and sort it out

Only good things at the moment are Steven Gerrard getting abck to his best and Neil mellor starting to look like he mite be able to do it at the top level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Steven Gerrard is far from his best, at his best he would run with the ball, tackle hard, pass well and have a couple of decent shots. At the moment he is tackling hard but dangerously and trying to make a killer pass most times he gets the ball rather than try to go around a player or play a simple pass. Now we know that it is not laziness that causes this coz he is all over the pitch, so it must be that his confidence is not all that it used to be before his dramatic dip in form, caused in some part by injuries.

At reserve and youth level Neil Mellor played left wing. And why in gods name is Richie Partridge not getting his game ?

TH4F - For once I agree with everything you *Shock*

As you said all he is going is tackling recklessly and trying 40-50 yard balls all the time, I cannot remember the last time he has took one of his crack outside the box shots, it is obviously all confidence but I lay this firmly at the door of gh, he publically critised him and this was stupid, he has not played well since.

I like the look of Melllor, I heard of him at youth level alright but he is the spit of Gerard, except he wants to play at the minute. A great find, but as we have learned so were Gillespie and chadwick and they have faded badly.

Is Partridge not on loan? He seems to be scoring every other game, not this is that he is either a class act or belongs in the lower divisions. Personally I think he should be given the left and either Berger or Riise the left, then it will at least give ye some more options, with Mellor up front he is well fit to head a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think all of the above illustrates why Houllier must go. There I've said it. :(

Mike.

I don't know mike could be a knee jerk reaction, I was thinkin that Sir A should be given the door when things were not going good but the players coped on and finally started to play, we are sort of back on track but have a long way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

yop, the problem is when are the players going to realise they need to cop on? What is it going to take? It wasnt till city humiliated ye in the derby, that ye copped on - i dunno,i really thoht the win at villa would be the kickstart we needed..then the performance at arsenal was a big improvement but after last night we seem to be back where we started....i havent lost hope yet....

[sig]
    The eternal optimist
    :) [/sig]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yes lets sack Houllier that will sove all of the problems :rolleyes:

While his tactics and some of player management have been questionable as of late but the man has done an awful lot of the club, just think we could still have the likes of Kvarme and Babb and calamity James but to mention a few where we now have the likes of Hyppia and Henchoz and Dudek and Kirkland. He has won a few cups in his time in charge (not the top of the top cups but cups none the less) hopefully he will see the error of his ways and purchase a winger which the man has to see as blatantly obvious at this stage. And if he were to be given the boot who would he be replaced with? Phil Thompson aint good enough imho as a full time manager, O'Leary would moan more than it would be worth, Martin O'Neill may be doing well with Celtic but cmon the Scottish League aint the most difficult thing to win all ya have to do is ensure ya beat Rangers.

Didi is a massive loss to us, if you see how much he protects the back 4 with the amount of work he puts in, Diao just aint able to fill in for him in that style of a player imho. I know its difficult as of late but cmon get behind your team and support them with pride. We may be the most one way team out there at the moment, it may be so annoying to be on the run we are on as of late but alas these are all of the joys of been a footie fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

O'Neill has a few good European results behind him too, and a few good seasons at Leicester.....

Whoever the would be manger is, PLEASE GOD let him be in favour of attacking every now and then. Use the bloody width of the pitch. The aim of the game is to score more goals then your opponent, remember?

We have fallen to the mighty Sheffiled United. What next? At least with a few more points in the bag we'll be safe from relegation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ronan/Raven

I applaud Houllier for his work since he joind the club, but he's run out of road. The qualities that were important when he took the reigns are now activly dragging the team back down. He has'nt been able to "see" foward to the next level.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I do not think Houllier has done all that much since takeing over. Instead of the muppent mentioned by Ronan / Raven there is now a new batch, ie Smicer & Diouff. They finished third in the league under Evans, I think they will be lucky to finish top four this season. They have gone over a full quarter of their league games only getting 4 points. That is worse then any of the teams in the relegation dog fight. Also I think the reason so many Pool players are going through bad patches at the same time, particularly Gerard, Owen and Heskey is because of the way Houllier plays. Finally, he has four players at least who can play as wingers in Cheyrou, Partridge, Berger and Rjise. It is that he refuses to play them in position.

Advertisement